This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaser for more Maiden content

I couldn't find a single backing track for this one. I had to record bass, rhythm and lead guitars for the entirety of the song. I'm thinking whether I should play a third guitar over the missing vocal tracks too, making it a full instrumental.

Anyways, this is just a teaser to get some opinions on the tone and the mix. I'm thinking of maybe boosting the low mids a bit more.

Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Re: Teaser for more Maiden content

Excellent playing, as usual! It sounds waaaay over compressed! And the drums need work; I would start with building the mix from the bottom up with the drums and gate the toms; that will keep them from ringing out so much. This can also be achieved with compression but is much trickier so it depends on comfortable you are with using compression on drums. Then look around 150-250Hz on the toms and try to remove that nasty resonance/ring going on.

The bass is way too loud and it sounds like it's driving the whole mix. Harris' bass is clangy to cut through the mix, which sounds like you have, but it's not achieved by making it simply louder than everything else; you have to cut away the frequencies you want to stand out in Instrument A from the other instruments. In other words, if you want 1kHz to pop out on the bass guitar, cut 1kHz from everything else.

I don't think anything needs boosting at this point! The opposite needs to happen, this mix is very boomy.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Since this song already exists, I would import a copy of the song, turn the volume of the song down to sane levels because the finished song is post-mastering phase, and use that as a reference as you go.
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 05-24-2019, 06:20 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Re: Teaser for more Maiden content

Thanks!

I have actually worked on the mix a bit more. However, uh. The drums I can't work on. That's part of somebody else's recording that he made public on YouTube. As per doing the drum parts from the ground up, that would be even worse since I've never played drums in my life or know any drummer who would do me a favor lol. I'll try to see what I can do about the bass though.
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Working...
      X