Daughter wants a bass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter wants a bass.

She has a guitar but she says she wants a bass. I told to learn all of the notes on the bottom 2 strings of her guitar and I'd get her a bass. She did so now I guess I owe her. I was thinking about going with the Squire Classic vibe 70's jazz bass. I like the price and it gets good reviews. She likes the look of it. I guess I'm hesitant about going cheap and having her want another one before long. Would something like a Fender player series be a better choice for a beginner? Maybe a G&l L2000? I'm looking for some guidance. I'd like to stay under 800, preferably less.
    She is 15 years old. I think shell stick with it because she is very into music. She sings and writes lyrics and plays her guitar a lot.
    This is my signature

Re: Daughter wants a bass.

There are plenty of excellent beginner basses for less than that. If she's small - get an Ibanez Mikro. If she can handle full scale basses - there are a rash of great axes, especially if you buy used stuff. Don't forget an amp.... guitar amps won't cut it for bass. Roland Cubes are great.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Those Classic Vibes are great basses. She'd never have to get another one, unless she wanted to. It is a perfectly viable pro bass.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If 800 is your budget, remember that you need an amp too. I suggest the Rumble 40. That gets you down to $600 for the bass. At that point, I would get the nicest MIJ or MIM Classic Series bass you can find. The Squiers are fine too, though they do benefit quite a bit from some spiffing up of the frets and nut.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Check Ibanez SD line, these are great up from 300 model range. These are no traditional style (different from Fender design) basses, neither soundwise nor looks and they play like buttah.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

The import EBMM Sub Stingray bass is excellent. Here is a great in depth, if not slightly lengthy, review down on one by a teacher.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Those Classic Vibes are great basses. She'd never have to get another one, unless she wanted to. It is a perfectly viable pro bass.
              In the same vein, I think the squire VM basses are pretty awesome too.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My $800 budget does take into account that I need an amp. That is my budget for the guitar itself. I'll start her out with a practice amp. We can upgrade amps later but I want the guitar to go the distance.
                This is my signature

Comment

As always, Amp > Instrument for sound.

Also - I'd check about the size/weight issue. 15 year old girl could be a trooper. Our other guitar (or Mincer for that matter....) whines about Les Paul's being heavy. I really think that Micro might be a great idea. Heavy can be a turn off. That said - the Classic Vibe Squires? Hell - I'd play one in a band.

Since you are in Holiday - I KNOW there are a TON of Ibanez basses between there and say Clearwater in pawn shops. Make it a Daddy/Daughter day.

And, be sure to stop down to the Quaker Steak in Pinellas Park this Wednesday and check out Hollywood Blvd.

https://www.facebook.com/HollywoodBlvdRocks/

Lot of Duncan pickups on stage....
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified are exceptional basses for the price. I bought a Squier VM Jazz 5 two years ago that was better than a bunch of MIM and MIA I tried. The setup was perfect and no bad/sharp frets and bad nut, I haven't adjusted the truss rod in 2 years where I have to do it 2-3 times a year on all my other guitars/basses because of the cold winter/hot summer. I bought it as a mod platform but now I decided to upgrade parts only when they'll break.

OTOH, I have a Yamaha TRBX505 and I can say it might be more comfortable for a girl/women. Really good sounding bass also.

Comment

Thank you. She is a tall strong basketball athlete and I think she will be fine with a full scale bass. I'm glad to hear many people liking the Squires because that is where I am strongly leaning. I was looking at the classic vibe, but I saw a package that includes a Vintage Modified 70s with a Fender Rumble 100 amp for a good price. It's my understanding that the difference is a satin finish on the neck and jumbo frets. Those are both things I like in a guitar. Maybe I'll just buy it and surprise her with it.
                      This is my signature

Comment

If you decide to go with the Mikro, hit me up... I'll cut you a great deal on one.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'll agree with Aceman. There's plenty of decent Ibanez basses in pawn shops. Or Yamaha or Schecter. For way less than what they're worth.
                          Nothing wrong with the Fender, but I picked up a small room gig ready Peavey TNT 130 from a pawn shop for ~ $150.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Our bass player has a squier VM PJ bass and loves it. He has been looking to upgrade and everything he tries doesn't feel better to him, even though he wants the others to sound/feel better

Comment

I got my Jackson from Musicians Friend for less than $500.
                              I can't imagine a better neck.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X