Need Recommendations for a Desktop MIDI Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Recommendations for a Desktop MIDI Keyboard

Calling on the forum's collective wisdom.

I'm looking for a 25-32 key desktop size MIDI controller for recording that doesn't cost a king's ransom. I have an 88 key weighted beast but due to relatively recent knee replacement surgery, I can't do any real heavy lifting.
    Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Re: Need Recommendations for a Desktop MIDI Keyboard

I'd go cheap with the M-Audio or Akai if you are primarily making hooks, experimenting, and controlling. no reason to sink a bunch of $$ into what is essentially a music mouse and some function keys and a turn wheel IMO .

69 bucks

139 bucks

especially this for 129.00

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I'd go for at least full size keys. I use an older model M-Audio Axiom, with 25 keys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axiom25-top-whtbkgd-b577e6b65783c561e265f83bec5b3ffa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	5814371
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        I'd go cheap with the M-Audio or Akai if you are primarily making hooks, experimenting, and controlling. no reason to sink a bunch of $$ into what is essentially a music mouse and some function keys and a turn wheel IMO .

139 bucks
        I have one of these and it seems to work pretty well with the computer. I also like that the trigger pads are automatically mapped to midi channel 10 to use with a drum machine. A possible downside is that it only has USB out and no midi ports, so keep that in mind if you're looking for something to use with a rackmount sound module of some sort. At least it can be powered off USB, so no wall wart necessary. Used price runs around $75.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          I have one of these and it seems to work pretty well with the computer. I also like that the trigger pads are automatically mapped to midi channel 10 to use with a drum machine. A possible downside is that it only has USB out and no midi ports, so keep that in mind if you're looking for something to use with a rackmount sound module of some sort. At least it can be powered off USB, so no wall wart necessary. Used price runs around $75.
          You asked for cheap and small but personally I like nice semi weighted 61 or 88 key controllers for writing -but for experimenting and controlling, these little guys are cool.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	71Ej4Qb1HYL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	5814415

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. I wound up buying this Alesis V25 with USB MIDI and full size keys. $89 well spent for me. NegativeEase, you described exactly how I needed it to function. Since I don't have any external modules, the USB-MIDI does the job for me. At least now I can construct simpler parts while a buddy of mine can do the more complex passages.
            Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

Working...
            X