Best bass combo under $250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bass combo under $250?

I haven’t owned a bass since 1994. Recently stopped by a GC and played a cheapie Yamaha bass through an Ampeg BA-108. I liked the Ampeg but not sure that the 8” speaker will accommodate what I’ll be playing (ex: Sabbath, lotsa fuzz or distortion, modulation effects, some wah). So I’m thinking at least a 10” is needed. I can probably go over $250 mark if we’re talking used. TC Electronic bass combo looks interesting, as you can use TonePrints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Best bass combo under $250?

The difference between an 8" speaker and a 10" speaker will not determine whether you can play that type of stuff or not. The design of each speaker in question, and how it works with the amp design in question, is going to determine what it sounds like, not simply the diameter. The bottom line is that if an amp sounds good, then it sounds good. Don't pass on an amp that you think sounds good just because you think the speaker isn't big enough.

If you are looking at things that small and cheap, with built-in overdrive, then look no farther than the Fender Rumble 40 for $200 new. It's a practice amp that can hack it for some gigs, and has a great collection of features for the price. Plus it is light as a feather.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Any feedback on the Hartke combos? Does the paper/aluminum cone make that much difference in my intended usage? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Best sounding bass amp for cheap is a used Yorkville Y200B or RB100 . 100Watt 1x15 Combo. -They can be had for $100-$250 on Reverb, Ebay and at local stores.

I wouldn't recommend a 10" for a beginning player (too punchy and tight -sounds terrible for someone not experienced) but since you have experience not an issue

Incredible sound for the money.

But do not have the features

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Best bass combo under $250?

These are nice for the money. Much nicer than the Ampeg. But 75 watts won’t get you too far.

The Hartke HD75 combo amp pumps out 75 watts of power though a 12" half paper, half aluminum HyDrive speaker -- providing the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m a big fan of the v3 Fender Rumble series. They sound great, the smaller ones for practice, then rehearsal, then gigging. I’ve got a big one that does it all, super flexible whether you like vintage SVT type tones or modern scoopy tones for slap, etc.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
            X