Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD: 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom Tobacco Burst

SWEET ride!!!!

Clean her up and give her the love she deserves. That guitar SHOULD have black rings and a black 3-ply guard, if that is what you are going for.

Personally, I'd throw the T-Top on eBay to sponsor your next pickup SET. And of course....hard to argue with a DiMarzio SuperDistortion and a PAF in there for ultra classic tones.

Warning on the regret: You'll likely lose the fret end nubs. I say don't if you don't have to do that.

My 73 Tobacco below. The 79 Cherry standard on the right, full disclosure, has a T-Top neck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1679.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	5814600
    Last edited by Aceman; 06-15-2019, 08:24 AM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ahh Les Pauls. I have three Lesters and I am always looking for one more. Beautiful guitars Aceman. The tobacco burst is gorgeous. DiMarzio pickups in there?

Comment

Hey guys

thanks for all the great feedback. ya know, i didnt even look to see if it was a pancake or solid body. I am pretty sure its a maple neck, but again, i will double check. I have been working alot since i purchased it, but tomorrow night i will start analyzing it more in detail.

@ Aceman, never cared for the SD/PAF pro set. I had one in a bc rich and it was decent, but not a tone that I really enjoy. I will keep the T top in for the time being and see how it is on a high gain channel. If its microphonic, then its going to be yanked in favor for an A2P1NJ or a 59NJ I have lying around. Bridge is going to be either a JB antiquity, JB 35th aniv or an SH-9 Silverbird.
        Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
        Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
          Ahh Les Pauls. I have three Lesters and I am always looking for one more. Beautiful guitars Aceman. The tobacco burst is gorgeous. DiMarzio pickups in there?
          Yes - a PAF neck and a SuperD bridge. SuperD is newer. PAF is who knows how old. Orange caps in there too....

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
            Hey guys

thanks for all the great feedback. ya know, i didnt even look to see if it was a pancake or solid body. I am pretty sure its a maple neck, but again, i will double check. I have been working alot since i purchased it, but tomorrow night i will start analyzing it more in detail.

@ Aceman, never cared for the SD/PAF pro set. I had one in a bc rich and it was decent, but not a tone that I really enjoy. I will keep the T top in for the time being and see how it is on a high gain channel. If its microphonic, then its going to be yanked in favor for an A2P1NJ or a 59NJ I have lying around. Bridge is going to be either a JB antiquity, JB 35th aniv or an SH-9 Silverbird.
            Dip the T-Top if microphonic. No big deal. And an A2P would go nicely with one.

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
              Hey guys

Anything from about mid 75 onward for a Custom will be maple neck. The pancake went in 77 at some point, and also the more modern 8 digit serial number impressed into the wood came in during 1977.

Comment

Possibly Pancake, probably not out at that end of the decade. Likely Maple - but no guarantees. Strange things and odd combos did happen in that era...

Comment

Those TP-6 are a tone suck. Id replace with regular stopbar unless the faded finish shows without it.
                  Les Pauls or 335's don't need fine tuners.
                  Id get rid of that Carvin humbucker in the bridge too.
                  Carvin never made Les Pauls.

Comment

Which Carvin pickup is that
                    Some of them aren't bad
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The kind that need to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                        Those TP-6 are a tone suck. Id replace with regular stopbar unless the faded finish shows without it.
                        Les Pauls or 335's don't need fine tuners.
                        Id get rid of that Carvin humbucker in the bridge too.
                        Carvin never made Les Pauls.
                        Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                        The kind that need to be replaced.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of their Folgers....

No, they don't need them. Then again, those are Gibson tuners, not Grovers, so they suck. Fine tuners would be useful.

Duncan and DiMarzio never made Les Pauls either - what's your point? That Carvin Super 22 is a pretty sporty metal pickup if I recall.

All that said - yeah - A stop would look nicer unless the finish is messed up, and the Carvin just looks and feels wrong. Ya old grump!

Comment

I have the S22s in my RG4 and they are thick wooly pickups

The m22 and c22 are awesomeness incarnate

Haven't tried their new lithium pickup
                          But it specs out like Duncans
                          EHD

Comment

That LP is begging for an SH-5 & 59' combo.

Comment

No doubt a custom 5 and 59 would be awesome
                              As would a JB/JAZZ set
                              Or some alnico 2 pros
                              A2P sounds real good

But the OP said he has a set in mind
                              EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                Possibly Pancake, probably not out at that end of the decade. Likely Maple - but no guarantees. Strange things and odd combos did happen in that era...
                                Norlin era. You really never know what you have in those guitars. But some of them sound really good. Anyway pancake bodies started somewhere in 1969 and ended in late 1976, early 77. While maple necks have been introduced in 1975 till 1980. Even if my guitar tech has a white custom with a maple neck dated June 1981.

Comment

Working...
                                X