Thread: Tweak Fuzz gain pot specs

Question Tweak Fuzz gain pot specs

Good people,

I need to replace the gain potentiometer on my Tweak Fuzz. It reads "15C2K D". I'm no expert but I'd assume it's 2K ohm. The "C" is throwing me off because, depending on where it was manufactured, that could mean audio taper or reverse audio taper. Or maybe I'm completely off base on that. Anybody know what correct specs are?

I contacted customer support twice but I've gotten no response.

Thanks!
    Tom

Ultimate Tone Member

Default Re: Tweak Fuzz gain pot specs

Quote Originally Posted by tomleonard View Post
    Good people,

I need to replace the gain potentiometer on my Tweak Fuzz. It reads "15C2K D". I'm no expert but I'd assume it's 2K ohm. The "C" is throwing me off because, depending on where it was manufactured, that could mean audio taper or reverse audio taper. Or maybe I'm completely off base on that. Anybody know what correct specs are?

I contacted customer support twice but I've gotten no response.

Thanks!
    Tom
    These days I think "C" designates reverse audio taper. Then again I could be wrong, but that is the modern convention.
    Al

A few schematics show it as a 1K Reverse Audio taper.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

For a fuzz of this type i.e. a Fuzz Face topology, a Reverse Audio taper make perfect sense. When compared to a Linear taper, the Reverse Audio taper will spread the fuzz out over the entire rotation of the pot instead of being bunched up at the end as with the Linear taper. One of the mods that Roger Mayer did on the Fuzz Face was to replace the 1k fuzz pot for a 2k.

Thanks for the replies. I'll pick up one each of a 1k and 2k reverse audio pot and see how it works.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I would take 15C2k to mean 15.2k. Definitely a reverse log taper. But better yet, I'd email SD and ask them, or buy a cheap meter and measure it. The Tweak Fuzz is too cool to screw up.

In retrospect, 15.2 k is a really oddball value. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I would take 15C2k to mean 15.2k. Definitely a reverse log taper. But better yet, I'd email SD and ask them, or buy a cheap meter and measure it. The Tweak Fuzz is too cool to screw up.

I'm not sure they exist, but could it mean 1.5K?
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post

Measuring the pots would be a good idea too. It will come up as some weird value due to the tolerance, probably 20%.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I totally forgot that I made my own schematic of this back when I owned one. The gain pot is definitely 2k.

For future reference this is the reply I received from support:

The designation on the pot stands for 15K resistance with a “C” taper or Reverse Audio. The “C” taper is important to give the Gain pot a smooth feel when rotating from fully CCW to fully CW.

Okay, one last thing. I pondered it some more and 15K seems way off the mark. I put the pot back together and even though it's mechanically effed, turns out I can still measure the resistance from pin 1 to pin 3. It's 2K, not 15K.