Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB6 Humbucker/Humbuckers in general.

Good day players,
    I installed a TB6 in my new RG550DX and it has the 5 way switch. Install went great and all pups work as they should to my hearing. I was curious about the new TB6 and making sure both coils were working properly, I did the small screwdriver tap test to both coils pole pieces and noticed the poles with the screws closest to the bridge was louder than the poles closest to the middle pup. They both work but doing the tap test one coil is louder than the other coil. Is this normal?
    Thanks in advance.
    And the Meek shall inherit the Earth

Re: TB6 Humbucker/Humbuckers in general.

Yeah, don't rely on the tap test. The best way to check if the pickup is full is to check the dcr with a multimeter. You can connect a cable to your guitar, select the tb6, and put the volume on 10, and connect the meter to the cable.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 06-16-2019, 01:41 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      Yeah, don't rely on the tap test. The best way to check if the pickup is full is to check the dcr with a multimeter.
      Thanks for the reply,
      I don’t have a multi meter, and was just curious because I’ve read some people can tell by the ole tap test. Both coils work and it sounds fine just one coil is louder than the other.

Comment

I soldered the red/white wires together and put them into the switch where Ibanez white tap wire went. Does that minimize the out put of the TB6?

Comment

Yes, splitting it makes the output about half since it's 1 coil.
          I bought them for you

Comment

Yes, splitting it makes the output about half since it's 1 coil.
            Thank you, I knew something wasn’t right. I guess I need to pull the red/white wires I soldered together and put in the switch out?

Comment

I don't know the specifics of your wiring, but yeah that should do the trick. For full bucker, the red and white only need to be connected to each other and nowhere else in the wiring.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Deathviper1777 View Post
                Thank you, I knew something wasn’t right. I guess I need to pull the red/white wires I soldered together and put in the switch out?
                If the old wiring has/had a split, it is highly unlikely the original wiring had it split all the time. Hence you will find the autosplit most likely in the 2nd switch position.

Comment

I don't know the specifics of your wiring, but yeah that should do the trick. For full bucker, the red and white only need to be connected to each other and nowhere else in the wiring.
                  Thanks again for confirming that. I think that’s where I went wrong, I appreciate it. I’ll have to tackle that when I get off work.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                    If the old wiring has/had a split, it is highly unlikely the original wiring had it split all the time. Hence you will find the autosplit most likely in the 2nd switch position.

Yes Sir, that’s where it is. Second switch position! Thanks for your reply.

Comment

I wouldn't say you "went wrong". "Split" is just another tonal option for a pup. If you just remove the red + white wires from the switch, you'll get full humbucker mode in switch positions 1 and two. Why would you want to do that if everything is working properly and you have that option of split.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        I wouldn't say you "went wrong". "Split" is just another tonal option for a pup. If you just remove the red + white wires from the switch, you'll get full humbucker mode in switch positions 1 and two. Why would you want to do that if everything is working properly and you have that option of split.
                        Hello, with the switch in full bucker mode all the way back it’s not getting full power. The poles towards the bridge is louder than the poles towards the middle pickup.
                        Last edited by Deathviper1777; 06-17-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

It's not unusual for one coil to be louder than the other.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                          X