banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dave Mustaine LiveWires - RG470FM MIJ Limited - Need Help Wiring with a 5 Way Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Mustaine LiveWires - RG470FM MIJ Limited - Need Help Wiring with a 5 Way Switch

So guys... I managed to migrate my RG470FM from passive to active using the Mustaine set (and it's accompanying 100k ohm pots). The wiring ended up negating the tone pot completely (which I can live with and might actually prefer here) and the stock 5 way switch has the neck pickup on in positions 1 and 2 whilst it has the bridge pickup on in positions 4 and 5. The middle position is dead. The passive single coil is still in the guitar because I didn't want a hole to be there but I disconnected it. Now I need to know how do I get both pickups on at the same time in the 3rd or middle position of the switch? I would like to avoid changing to a 3 way if I can...

Re: Dave Mustaine LiveWires - RG470FM MIJ Limited - Need Help Wiring with a 5 Way Swi

Well, getting a 3-way is the preferred option, but . . .

Just wire up to the first two terminals of the 5-way. Then, you'll only use the first three "clicks".

Comment

Re: Dave Mustaine LiveWires - RG470FM MIJ Limited - Need Help Wiring with a 5 Way Swi

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Well, getting a 3-way is the preferred option, but . . .

Just wire up to the first two terminals of the 5-way. Then, you'll only use the first three "clicks".
      Thanks.

So if I do it that way will I get both pickups on in the second "click"? So neck, both, bridge and then the remaining two clicks will be dead?

Comment

Yup, almost. You'll still have one pickup on in the 4th position. Depending on whether you do the "front" two or "rear" two terminals.

However, I just thought of something. I'd ground that unused terminal. That will make two dead positions but will also prevent "floating" the amp input on those two positions, which could create a loud buzz.
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-18-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Yup, almost. You'll still have one pickup on in the 4th position. Depending on whether you do the "front" two or "rear" two terminals.

However, I just thought of something. I'd ground that unused terminal. That will make two dead positions but will also prevent "floating" the amp input on those two positions, which could create a loud buzz.
          Ok thanks. My only concern is when playing/recording in particular and I want to go from the neck to the bridge quickly I'll find myself in the last position which will be dead... then I have to re-track the solo. I think in this case its probably best to get a 3 way then. Unless I can just keep the switching the way it is now AND ensure I have both pickups on in the middle position? Another thing is why isn't my tone control working? Again I'm not fussed about that, actually prefer it but hey, I did wire some or other wire to it lol.

Comment

Off the top of my head I imagine bridging the two pickups hot wires to the switch's middle pickup position - would that then enable both of them to be on at the same time in the middle or position 3? And would that take place without weird noises lol? I apologise for asking wiring questions like these without showing clear pics of the situation in there. I'll try to get some pics and upload them asap if that will help.

Comment

If by "bridging", you mean shorting the two hot wires together, they will always both be on. That's why you need to use the two sides of the switch for isolation.

Comment

If by "bridging", you mean shorting the two hot wires together, they will always both be on. That's why you need to use the two sides of the switch for isolation.
                Yeah that's basically what I meant but if they're both gonna always be on then no, I'd rather not. I might just need to investigate that switch more and see what terminal needs to be wired to which wire/s for both to be on at the same time in the middle position. OR I just leave it as is and continue enjoying it. At the end of the day I'd only really use both pickups for more variety in clean mode, not in full on metal meltdown mode.

Then again, I might just buy a Switchcraft 3 way and call it a day lol.

Comment

Getting a 3-way is really the logical choice, but I don't think Switchcraft makes that style. You'll probably want to get a CRL or Oak-Grigsby.

https://guitarelectronics.com/electr...ever-switches/

Comment

Getting a 3-way is really the logical choice, but I don't think Switchcraft makes that style. You'll probably want to get a CRL or Oak-Grigsby.

https://guitarelectronics.com/electr...ever-switches/
                    Thanks for the link. I see the CRL and Grigsby switches look like direct replacements. The Tele one says "mini".

By the way, why can't active pickups be split?

Comment

The simple answer is because they don't come with the N+/N-/S+/S- wires separated out for splitting, but I don't know what limitations of actives prevent manufacturers from shipping separated wires..

But... some actives do have a single coil mode. The EMG 81TW and 89/89R can be 'split', but technically they have both a humbucking coil and a separate single coil, all in the same housing. 'Splitting' one of those just switches the output from one coil system to the other.. So I haven't really answered your question, but I did want you to be aware there are approximations..
                      Last edited by Downrazor11; 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Downrazor11 View Post
                        The simple answer is because they don't come with the N+/N-/S+/S- wires separated out for splitting, but I don't know what limitations of actives prevent manufacturers from shipping separated wires..

But... some actives do have a single coil mode. The EMG 81TW and 89/89R can be 'split', but technically they have both a humbucking coil and a separate single coil, all in the same housing. 'Splitting' one of those just switches the output from one coil system to the other.. So I haven't really answered your question, but I did want you to be aware there are approximations..
                        OK thanks for that answer. I didn't know about the EMG81TW.

Comment

Working...
                        X