Another "why is this wiring diagram done like this?" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another "why is this wiring diagram done like this?" question

The two versions split to different coils, which keeps them humbucking if you have both pickups on and split. The other benefit of the two versions is by reversing the wires in the second drawing, now both splits are done by grounding, which means you could split to different coils using a simpler wiring of the same switch, eg one half of the switch splits the bridge to slug and the other side of the switch splits the neck to screw coil, both simply going to ground at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      The only reason for the seemingly "reverse" wiring is to make it a teeny bit easier to wire the split switch. Doing it this way allows both pickups to be split by shorting the series link to ground, in order to split to the two different coils. The same thing could also have been accomplished by using the normal wiring, and shorting the red/white pair to "hot", or black.

Think of it like this. Fig 1 shows normal humbucker wiring. I can rotate the bottom coil around, (for illustration purposes), so that both coils are in a straight line. (Fig 2) I haven't changed anything electrically. Now I can change the physical position of the two coils as in fig 3. As long as both black and red point toward positive, and green and white point toward ground, I haven't changed anything electrically, or polarity. But now you can see that grounding the red/white of fig 2 shorts out the screw coil, and grounding the green/black of fig 3 shorts out the stud coil.

Does that make sense, or did I confuse you more?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99214[/ATTACH]
      This is one of the best diagrams (of the many) you’ve made. This made it instantly understandable when you originally posted it.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thank you. They say a pictures worth 1000 words.

Comment

Working...
        X