This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused over Coil tap chioce

Iv've got myself confused When I coil taped my JB the slug side (inner Coil) is live when taped and I asked if one can choose which side comes live Robert S kindly answerd "switch the jumper with a jumper to the pickup in questions hot lead (black)".
    This might sound daft but is the jumper the green lead or the ground lead Or do I swap the two black leads(I also have a Phase reverse on this side).

I think my Question is which is the jump lead ?
    Last edited by Oldslowhand; 03-12-2004, 08:50 AM.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
    Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
    Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Here's the deal. When you wire for splitting you are connecting the red/white wires (SD pickups) to ground. If you are using a spst or dpdt switch the red/white wires will be connected to one of the terminals. There will also be another wire on one of the switch terminals and if you follow that wire you will find it connects to ground. If you think about it, you are in effect connecting that wire to the green wire on the SD pickup as it is connected to ground as well.

When you connect the red, white and green wires together you are shorting out the screw bobbin (south coil) and you are leaving the stud bobbin (north coil) on in the circuit.

If you move the wire that leaves the switch and connects to ground from ground and connect it to the pickups black lead connection you are connecting the black, red and white wires together leaving the screw bobbin in the circuit.

If you are splitting the pickup off of a 5 way switch (Fender style) the connection to ground will not be as apparent but it is there.

The "jumper" is just a fancy name for a piece of wire. In your case this wire connects your switch to ground and to change bobbins in a split situation you change the connection from ground to the pickup in questions hot lead connection at the guitar.

I hope that makes things clearer for you.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Thanks Robert, I'll give it ago and see which I prefer as I said I quite like it as it is
      This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
      Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
      Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
      Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Comment

Working...
      X