No announcement yet.

Canon For A Dying Sun (For Strings and Well-Tempered Synthesizer) - WIP thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon For A Dying Sun (For Strings and Well-Tempered Synthesizer) - WIP thread

Thanks for checking it out!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Re: Canon For A Dying Sun (For Strings and Well-Tempered Synthesizer) - WIP thread

Well, the songwriting demo is done! Next step is to meet with the band and start rehearsing it, working out the verses/vocal lines, and starting to sort out the massive technical demands of this piece. If you're not into songs like Echoes by Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, or Gavin Byers, I would recommend listening to it in pieces, it's a VERY long song!

Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 09-03-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I've given it a couple listens through. This is a really cool piece of music man. I'm very impressed at how you managed to link together and arrange all the musical ideas in a way that flows reasonably well.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          I've given it a couple listens through. This is a really cool piece of music man. I'm very impressed at how you managed to link together and arrange all the musical ideas in a way that flows reasonably well.
          Thanks! There are going to be differences between the live version, which will have banter and such, and make for natural breaks in the piece, and the final recording, which will have different demands in terms of making it cohesive.

Now onto the next song! I have a name and a concept only (and maybe know what key it's in).

Comment

So, two months later, and where are we?

The demo was pretty good and I started re working the arrangement to be both tighter and more harmonically complex. I also wanted to stick more closely to the actual structure of Sonata or Concerto form and see if I would strengthen the piece within these constraints.

The first thing to do was to revise the chord progression so that it fits the Sonata form; I have ended up with a 20-measure long progression, still keeping in the key of Dm. The new variant of the progression goes like this:
            i - iii - VI - VII - V - i
            The actual chords being
            Dm - Gm - Bb - Csus4 - C - A - Dm
            The VII-V-i progression gives a nice chromatic line from C to C# to D which I quite like.

Here's what I have thus far; this was tracked live, no overdubs:

The pad is a Roland JP-08; the bass guitar is a Yamaha TX7; drums are a BOSS DR-550; the spoken word is an audio file I made and is being triggered from the NerdSeq and played from the Disting Mk4. Delay and reverb are via a BOSS RV-500.

Comment

Okay, after a MAJOR re-think, I'm sticking with the chords from the Mk2 version, but working on really maximizing the arrangement textures. Same chords as above, but reworked quite a bit!

Comment

I'm not feeling the metronome. :P
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

LOL. Yeah, necessary evil til I get some percussion in there!

Comment

The extensive rewrite continues, got Part 1 in the can today. It's a bit like an overture in that some of the elements buried in there will be explored further on in the piece. Off to a good start, though.

This version features live guitar and two live synth parts. Depending on the lineup, one of the synth lines may not be able to be played live. The orchestration is more sparse in this version but it sounds a lot more full, in my opinion. The modular is handing drums and two additional synth lines. Orchestral parts are violins, violas, and brass.
                    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 11-28-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X