Are these EMG pups counterfeit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these EMG pups counterfeit?

Hi, I just received this EMG 81-85 set and I was wondering if any of you could tell me whether they are true or false as I bought them for real cheap, I knew there was a chance they were counterfeit but I made sure I was covered by both eBay and PayPal so I think it is worth giving it a try.

First time using Imgur so I don't know if I did the link thing correctly

Re: Are these EMG pups counterfeit?

I’ve only owned a couple sets of EMG’s over the years so I’m far from an authority here, but I don’t see anything jumping out at me as counterfeit.
    However, somebody with more experience/knowledge might be able to elaborate.

Comment

I think they are, they look the same as:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EMG-...821659894.html

The main difference I see is the mounting tabs do not extend below/past the body on yours, they are 4mm past the casing on all of mine.. Here are the dimensions from EMG's website (h_b245_0230-0106re.pdf):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 9.22.14 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	5815024

The quick-connect pins are also different on yours, on all of mine the plastic separators are on the horizontal part of the pin (parallel to the rear of the body), whereas on yours they are on the vertical part of the pin (perpendicular to the body). Here's an illustration from the linked pdf:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 9.33.00 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	5815025

I also came across this other thread that stated the mounts were threaded for 4-40 screws, all of the real EMGs I have ever come across use 3-48 screws..

If it were me I would send them back..
      Last edited by Downrazor11; 07-19-2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

See...I told you somebody would know more....

Comment

They look fake from a mile away, IMO. The logo also looks way off. Sorry.

Comment

Yep, between the oversized logos and completely wrong connector style, those are definitely counterfeits!

Where did you get them?

Comment

Haha, you know, I really hope I didn't just unwittingly help a counterfeiter make a better product.. I love my EMG's, and I want their rep (whatever that might be to someone) to be based on their genuine products, not fakes..

And, more importantly, people cheating other random people is just infuriating to me. Disgusting really..

Comment

Thank you all for your help, I bought them from eBay and yesterday I sent an email to the seller. This has happened already to me once before, also buying a set of EMG pups, but what told me that they were counterfeit was that they weren't even quick-connect and they only had two cables, I got my money back and got to keep them too. I always make sure to be covered by both PayPal and eBay so I hope I can get around this. Anyway, in case I get to keep them, are they any good? I am making a guitar with exchangeable pups and these ones and the other counterfeit ones would be an addition to my tone collection. Also, I think I am done searching in eBay for EMG pickups after two almost scams, where do you recommend I buy a used set of EMG pickups and what prize should I be looking for?

Comment

Buy, sell, or trade gear. Seymour Duncan assumes no responsibility for transactions.

Or you could try reverb

Comment

Working...
                  X