Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Got a new Kemper Profiler amp yesterday, and so far it appears to be the worst purchase I have ever made. Running it very simply from the mains out on the Kemper to two KRK Rokit Powered 6" studio monitors. Ignoring the Kemper crashing, another glitch that made all models sound like they were 100 miles away in a well, and the glitch that made all models sound like there was an auto-wah running, even though all effects were turned off (these were all "fixed" by the Kemper tech telling me to reset this and that) this is the harshest, stiffest, fakest, most digital sounding thing I have EVER played through. I have spent 15+ hours trying every suggestion that anyone has ever made online to lower the amount of digital harshness, but it is there on every model.

I have many other modeling amps, and when flipping through the models there are many I do not like, but at least they have their own personality and feel, and I can see what the programmer was going for. With the Kemper, EVERY model sounds like the SAME model, only with differing amounts of gain, or the EQ adjusted. It sounds this way with EVERY guitar I own, or while running it through 2 powered cabinets as well. I don't get it. Running my 50 dollar Pocket POD though those speakers sounds WAY better than this 1700 dollar Kemper. What gives? I can't imagine that anyone kept this thing after demoing it, if it is supposed to sound like this. Can any owners help me understand what is wrong here?

Re: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

It might not just be for you.
    I know lots of people that get amazing tones from them...maybe go ask for some settings/patch dumps to see if yours sounds the same.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Something's gotta be wrong. It can't be that bad, you've got a premium product there.
      Hope you get it sorted out and your next post is about how ****ing amazing the Kemper is.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Might be that it doesn't like the speakers you're running through. The first thing I'd try is different speakers.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I didn't dig the Kemper either. The UI is not intuitive. I have NO doubts about its capabilities. But it just made me appreciate my tube amps that much more. I far preferred the Helix to the Kemper. But I get why many guys like the Kemper. Just not my bag.
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I have already tried it through 2 different powered speaker cabinets, and the tone is not better. One of the cabinets has tubes, so that lends a little tube flavor to it, but the base tone is still harsh, brittle, and generic. I have yet to dial in an organic tone with it, clean or distorted, and now the background wah-effect is back on every rig model and did not go away with the reset technique that the tech told me to use. It looks like one text response per day may be all I am going to get from Kemper. Maybe I have a lemon? Makes me worry though, I don't want a replacement Kemper if what I am hearing when it is NOT glitching is what the Kemper sounds like. I might as well use my Pocket POD, and that way I would not be flushing the extra $1,650.00 down the toilet.

Comment

Don't buy a computer if you want a guitar amp.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

KRK are Full Range Reference Monitors, I wouldn't use them as the best judge of a Kemper's possible tones -unless you are confident you are modeling guitar speakers successfully with the Kemper (which I know it can do well) -those KRKs are designed to be brutally honest, not accentuate or color like a guitar speaker, and since guitar speakers are a gigantic part of guitar tone (if not the most important part) -I'd look into making sure you are getting that portion dialed.

Second, those KRK are only front ported 6" speakers (which claim 38hz performance) but I've never used a anything smaller than an 8" that didn't make the bass mix heavy from compensation -so perhaps you are being lied to -check it with headphones or another source.

also, maybe your speaker placement is creating imaging or modal issues and causing issues monitoring the quality of the Kemper too.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  KRK are Full Range Reference Monitors, I wouldn't use them as the best judge of a Kemper's possible tones -unless you are confident you are modeling guitar speakers successfully with the Kemper (which I know it can do well) -those KRKs are designed to be brutally honest, not accentuate or color like a guitar speaker, and since guitar speakers are a gigantic part of guitar tone (if not the most important part) -I'd look into making sure you are getting that portion dialed.

Second, those KRK are only front ported 6" speakers (which claim 38hz performance) but I've never used a anything smaller than an 8" that didn't make the bass mix heavy from compensation -so perhaps you are being lied to -check it with headphones or another source.

also, maybe your speaker placement is creating imaging or modal issues and causing issues monitoring the quality of the Kempe too.
                  That's the bit about modeling that falls flat for me: Real speakers.
                  If you're recording, those emulations are a godsend for a mix. In a room, I'd rather use the preamp modeling, and use a real power amp with a real guitar cabinet.

Even outdated solutions sound great that way.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

This sounds more like a lemon than a platform issue. Is it still in warranty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

also, maybe your speaker placement is creating imaging or modal issues and causing issues monitoring the quality of the Kemper too.

They're not that flat/honest. Big bump in the lower end and swings between +/- 10 dB for the rest of the frequency range.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Something don't seem right - nearly every band I saw last year had one or two Kempers, I've heard them on dozens of albums. Having said that, if it's new shouldn't there be a return policy, especially this soon? I made the mistake of hanging on to a Carvin guitar too long past the return date and ended up losing money selling it later. Don't delay returning that sucker if you hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

They're not that flat/honest. Big bump in the lower end and swings between +/- 10 dB for the rest of the frequency range.
                          yeah, that's why I said "designed" because those 6" reference monitors (no matter the brand) have trouble transitioning to the low end -I'm not the biggest fan of KRKS -they're fine, but to my ears I prefer many other ones and all at 8" or bigger.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

A modeler replicates the sound of a micced amp. No matter how well it does that, it isn't the same as the amp in the room sound, especially if you're using small monitors.

That aside, it sounds like your unit is defective and Kemper isn't helping you enough. Just return it and get something else. Try a Helix or Ax8.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

I know a handful of people that gig with them and none of them have had anything close to the trouble you describe. It's either the Kemper or how you're setting it up. Either way, as others have said, send it back if you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X