Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    All that concerns me with any gear is what it does, how it sounds , how much it costs...& can I afford/do I want one
    Sad to say that a lot of people don't care about ethics anymore unless it applies directly to them.

Comment

Guilty as charged

I don't think disguising your product just enough to get away with things is "ethics". Besides, truth be told...I'm not seeing a whole lot of genuine innovation going on anywhere
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Well if they did help themselves to a bit of code, they were clever enough to leave the copyright notice out & change things around a bit this time (pretty sure losing lawsuits smarten you up)

Sure, chances are they borrowed a bit of this and that which I'm also sure everybody else does. I'm not really torn apart by the ethics of it 'cause I bought one..it's not a mink coat.

They seem to reasonably well distributed in the US (and Europe) with Amazon & Thomman selling them. I don't think lightening's going to strike twice

In this industry (and all others) the hard reality is that it boils down to how much **** you can get away with (w/o being sued). I think if they're guilty of anything it's of being dumber than the competition when it comes to plagiarizing stuff ..but with time I'm sure they'll smarten up and do it just as well as everybody else.

All that concerns me with any gear is what it does, how it sounds , how much it costs...& can I afford/do I want one
        Well not quite. They copied the entire code as far as ehx was concerned. In the digital realm you get patents more readily compared to analog world where you can get away changing things as long as the circuit isnt 1:1 & asthetically same perhaps, its easier there.

What mooer did was basucally release Windows under a new name keeping everything else same lol Thats not innovative or smart lol The Ge seties uses prramps from their pedal preamps which were released long time back, with the ge they can use bigger hardware thus increasing the resolution of everything involved. But the initial software is still uh "borrowed" & with mooer products its pretty much 1:1 at the core from what has happened before. Large companies like ehx can pursue a legal route, small developers not so much.

I do buy stuff from joyo but I acknowledge the fact that they are making profit over another persons design or innovation. I wouldnt try to justify that with the way these Chinese companies work cause I do use these units. No point in denying that or giving excuses.

But it is good to know where they steal it from too

Comment

Hmmm...
          Maybe it's time businesses started taking cybersecurity seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
            No point in denying that or giving excuses.
            I actually acknowledged it and said I did'nt care (there's a difference). I then explained that it does'nt really matter to me to what degree someone copies stuff or how badly/well they hide it. They all do it to different degree's. Pretty sure there's no argument with that. And none of them are paragons of virtue with great ethics either. If US companies could get away with what Chinese companies can get away with they'd be doing the same things & wouldn't have to bother with the fig leaf

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I actually acknowledged it and said I did'nt care (there's a difference). I then explained that it does'nt really matter to me to what degree someone copies stuff or how badly/well they hide it. They all do it to different degree's. Pretty sure there's no argument with that. And none of them are paragons of virtue with great ethics either. If US companies could get away with what Chinese companies can get away with they'd be doing the same things & wouldn't have to bother with the fig leaf
              I was referring to my view on the topic. I'm not poo pooing on mooer for being caught stealing or anyones decision to purchase from that company. I simply asked is there any news out yet as to what they sourced it on seeing as they haven't had signature unit that's a new build from ground up & they've already been caught before.

It's not about being a paragon of virtue, to steal a bit or whole is still stealing, without innovation the world would still be using candles for light, the strive to being innovative is important, which is what gets damaged when a copy is made without permission. Using someone elses innovation for ones own inspiration is not stealing, it involves research & understanding. Majority of Chinese companies in the guitar related gear haven't come up with anything that I can recall as being innovative that stands out, they skip the R from the R&D section which lowers the price of the overall product. Not all companies in the world including China are like that. Releasing a copy of a obsolete product isn't stealing provided there is some reference given to the original. These again are my views on the subject of theft. I wouldn't justify the act just because everyone else is doing it, it's just bad to me.

Alas my only point being It's always good to know who the source is for the innovation/research that the other product is designed from. If it came from a product that's long been forgotten cause the hardware was lacking to augment the software, then that's something that's interesting to know to me atleast

Comment

Our antiquated concepts of IP are about to change. we did not foresee these capabilities at all and are not prepared to deal.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                  I was referring to my view on the topic. I'm not poo pooing on mooer for being caught stealing or anyones decision to purchase from that company. I simply asked is there any news out yet as to what they sourced it on seeing as they haven't had signature unit that's a new build from ground up & they've already been caught before.

It's not about being a paragon of virtue, to steal a bit or whole is still stealing, without innovation the world would still be using candles for light, the strive to being innovative is important, which is what gets damaged when a copy is made without permission. Using someone elses innovation for ones own inspiration is not stealing, it involves research & understanding. Majority of Chinese companies in the guitar related gear haven't come up with anything that I can recall as being innovative that stands out, they skip the R from the R&D section which lowers the price of the overall product. Not all companies in the world including China are like that. Releasing a copy of a obsolete product isn't stealing provided there is some reference given to the original. These again are my views on the subject of theft. I wouldn't justify the act just because everyone else is doing it, it's just bad to me.

Alas my only point being It's always good to know who the source is for the innovation/research that the other product is designed from. If it came from a product that's long been forgotten cause the hardware was lacking to augment the software, then that's something that's interesting to know to me atleast
                  I think Chinese companies do tweak stuff they've plagiarized most of the time (the customary cap/resistor change). The Reason Mooer got caught was that in this case (Ehx) they did'nt bother to for some reason (were in a hurry?/thought it sounded just great as it was? ). W/e ..they were caught and paid the price. I just said that I don't see them doing things so shabbily again and consequently you may never know what unit if any they're basing it on

As for as my personal views on plagiarism go...I honestly don't care at all. Maybe I'm just immoral haha...

I think if a Chinese company rips off a $300 pedal (let's say a really clever green overdrive clone ), saves bigtime on the immense R$D that must have been involved and passes on the benefits to their customers by selling it for $30 ...they could conceivably (justifiably?) be looked at as being kinda 'ethical' in a Robin Hood-ish kinda way .who knows

But then as I said I don't care.

Bottom line if it's a nice product at a nice price (that's not banned/I know hasn't fallen off a truck) ..I'll buy it if I want it

The Mooer is a great sounding unit that does a better job with some things than units costing 3 times as much do (tone cap video). If all they (Mooer) did was rip stuff off...it would/could at best sound on par ..not better.

Judging from my own unit, the video & other videos I've watched it doesn't sound like any of the competition (...although I don't hear any huge difference in the sound quality of the sims/effects etc). It's a nice sounding modeller and for all that it does & does really well, which is a lot ...the price is really great too
                  Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 01-23-2020, 09:04 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                  X