Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Sounds like a borked unit. It should put make an old POD run for the money right out of the box.

Or maybe... Are you absolutely certain that you set it up right?
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

Did you purchase the Kemper based on these 14 pages of info and entertainment, or did you somehow miss this thread?

Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Found someone (not the Kemper tech, they never responded again after their first 2 suggestions failed) who explained how to reset it to blank factory state, and then reload the system entirely. It is working without glitching now, and I can see there is a lot of potential there. I'm not hearing anything a lot better than my much cheaper Vox and Fender modeling amps yet, but I will keep fiddling with it.

Comment

Just reading in the new Guitar Player that even Mark Knopfler is touring with Kempers now, there must be something there... But yes, they did use them to profile his amps.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            Just reading in the new Guitar Player that even Mark Knopfler is touring with Kempers now, there must be something there... But yes, they did use them to profile his amps.
            To be fair, Knopfler is 69 years old and has been a gigging musician (at volume) for most of those years. As great a guitar player as he is, I'd be shocked if his hearing is as good as your average 50 year old, let alone your average 20 year old . . . so I'm not sure his endorsement really means all that much.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

They have a long list of young and, uhm, mature, users, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                To be fair, Knopfler is 69 years old and has been a gigging musician (at volume) for most of those years. As great a guitar player as he is, I'd be shocked if his hearing is as good as your average 50 year old, let alone your average 20 year old . . . so I'm not sure his endorsement really means all that much.
                new level of stupid discovered...So Mark Knopfler, his band mates, his tech and the audiences are all listening to him play digital crap and loving it...just because???here is an opportunity to break the current stupidity record....

Comment

I just pointed out that Knopfler's hearing is likely not what it once was (especially for his hearing of higher frequencies). Didn't say anything about 'digital crap', his tech, or audiences. As you appear to be an expert on the matter . . . is there a stupidity record for reading comprehension?
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You win that one too...the post you initially replied to dealt with his touring using Kemper...can you guess what that might entail???

To get back to the actual topic...Knopfler's use of the Kemper would support the fact that it is a viable tool for high caliber professionals....it is not a Line 6 Pod...
                    Agreed that it may not be for everyone...many of Knopfler's level still see fit to perform with tube amps...to each his own...

As a side note: it was reported that MK’s tech spent 4 months getting the profiles set up for him...
                    Last edited by justFred; 07-22-2019, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Many "touring professionals" used PODs too.

Knopfler may be a guy who knows it sounds "more than good enough" for the audience through the PA du Jour.

He keeps his Vintage amps at home. See Kemper thread.

Maybe he is a BOTH a tone conneseur and a pragmatic. I have a Little Tweed Fender class A and some Boo-Tees pedals and vintage Gibsons over in that corner.

I also have a Solid state Peavey and a midline Ibanez and a Zoom pedal too....Don't have to be one or the other.

Comment

I don’t know about anybody else but my tone goal isn’t to have a guitar tone that is “good enough for the audience”. I serve a higher critic...me.
                        When I was 15 years old and first picked up the guitar I never said to myself “man, I can’t wait until I’m good enough so the audience doesn’t know the difference “...
                        I strive to be the best I possibly can so that I can first and foremost I please myself.
                        Then and only then can I go onstage and put out my 100%.
                        And at the end of the gig when somebody comes up to you and gives you a compliment....then I know that I’ve pleased the audience too.

Man, I hate when I hear musicians talking only about pleasing a bunch of barroom drunks. So some disgusting slob can grind up against a pole because you’re playing “Crazy B*tch”....

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          Many "touring professionals" used PODs too.
                          Could we see a list of those Line 6 POD touring pros? Never seen a little red kidney shaped thing at a live show but they are small so I'd like to know...

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            I don’t know about anybody else but my tone goal isn’t to have a guitar tone that is “good enough for the audience”. I serve a higher critic...me.

Man, I hate when I hear musicians talking only about pleasing a bunch of barroom drunks. So some disgusting slob can grind up against a pole because you’re playing “Crazy B*tch”....
                            Man, I hate when I hear musicians talking only about pleasing themselves. So some overly ego-centric guy with a guitar can spend half a song futzing with knobs on an amp and the floor, and frowning the rest of time on the verge of tears, and you’re playing some Robin Trower song that nobody in whole bar gives a damn about or knows...

See how that works the other way too? And seen it more than enough times to believe that when we are arguing about the sound of a POD vs a Kemper vs a Vintage, we are way the other way. In a blind test, on that stage, you likely couldn't tell a POD from Kemper, let alone a Kemper from an amp.

I get what you are saying - but at some point you have diminishing returns. IMO, after POD 2.0 it was there IMO. Yeah - I love it when I can hear myself, the band, and everything sounds great. I like to play and sound my best. But again - at some point, there is more than the performance: Load in, load out, cost, space, maintenance, flexibility, blah blah, blah.

Comment

I think the usual barroom / backyard party patrons have some sense of good tone... especially those of our generation who grew up on 70's - 80's rock.

Comment

Safe to say that if you show up with a Gorilla practice amp, the crowd is going to gravitate towards the other dude with the stack...

Comment

Working...
                                X