Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    Safe to say that if you show up with a Gorilla practice amp, the crowd is going to gravitate towards the other dude with the stack...

This is why I always show up with the lightest rig possible and wireless transmitters so I can run around the stage and do guitar swings

No one in the crowd will take notice of the guy with a stack when you gyrate around like 1984 Jake E Lee

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Man, I hate when I hear musicians talking only about pleasing themselves. So some overly ego-centric guy with a guitar can spend half a song futzing with knobs on an amp and the floor, and frowning the rest of time on the verge of tears, and you’re playing some Robin Trower song that nobody in whole bar gives a damn about or knows...

See how that works the other way too? And seen it more than enough times to believe that when we are arguing about the sound of a POD vs a Kemper vs a Vintage, we are way the other way. In a blind test, on that stage, you likely couldn't tell a POD from Kemper, let alone a Kemper from an amp.

I get what you are saying - but at some point you have diminishing returns. IMO, after POD 2.0 it was there IMO. Yeah - I love it when I can hear myself, the band, and everything sounds great. I like to play and sound my best. But again - at some point, there is more than the performance: Load in, load out, cost, space, maintenance, flexibility, blah blah, blah.
      Yeah, I get your point too. I can only speak for myself but I try to maintain as much of a balance between your points and mine. I won’t lie...lugging in an amp and speaker cab and etc, etc. isn’t fun.
      And I’ve never played a kemper. I have had several multi fx units and hated every one of them. Maybe I’d love he kemper....who knows.
      But I do take a certain pride in having a good tone. Even if I’m the only one that cares.

Comment

Man, I hate when I hear musicians talking only about pleasing themselves. So some overly ego-centric guy with a guitar can spend half a song futzing with knobs on an amp and the floor, and frowning the rest of time on the verge of tears, and you’re playing some Robin Trower song that nobody in whole bar gives a damn about or knows...

See how that works the other way too? And seen it more than enough times to believe that when we are arguing about the sound of a POD vs a Kemper vs a Vintage, we are way the other way. In a blind test, on that stage, you likely couldn't tell a POD from Kemper, let alone a Kemper from an amp.

I get what you are saying - but at some point you have diminishing returns. IMO, after POD 2.0 it was there IMO. Yeah - I love it when I can hear myself, the band, and everything sounds great. I like to play and sound my best. But again - at some point, there is more than the performance: Load in, load out, cost, space, maintenance, flexibility, blah blah, blah.
        I think musicians forget that their show should be entertaining, as well as sounding good. And Kempers are amazing, but I don't know. A friend of mine just bought a Helix and he's truly going rogue, with specific amp selections for each song and I'm just waiting for him to hit the wrong patch live and having a panic attack or something afterwards.

Having less options has worked fine for decades for countless musicians, hasn't it?

I've seen Marty Friedman playing Marshalls, Crate and ENGL amps, and using Ibanez, Jackson and Gibsons. It always sounds like him and he kills.
        He just plays the **** out of his guitar and has a band that puts a bigger show than him live. Not a bunch of goofy session players.

That's rock and roll. I like strong live performances. I like attitude and bravado and having a blast. And having a set and forget rig is kind of essential for that, so you can just play and deliver your absolute best. If you can do that while scrolling through a trillion mic placement patches on one foot, more power to you. I can't.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I want to clarify my above comment about having a good tone for my sake....
          I don’t want anyone to think that when we gig it’s all about my tone....
          It’s absolutely about putting on a show.
          We are all over the stage, interacting with each other and the crowd. The singer is out in the audience doing his thing...if the stage has risers we are up on them playing solos etc....
          In no way are we playing obscure songs that nobody knows. Every song we play is or was a radio hit on some level.
          None of that is lost on me.
          All I was trying to say is that I need good tone for me...and by having that, it translates into good tone for the audience and a good overall band sound.
          That’s win-win.
          I’m not ok with having a “good enough” tone for a bar full of people that probably don’t know any better anyway. Hell, most people (non musicians) couldn’t tell the difference between a guitar and a bass in a mix anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            But I do take a certain pride in having a good tone. Even if I’m the only one that cares.
            Absolutely. The best guitarists (the ones with talent and who love what they're doing) don't just take their playing seriously... but their tone also.

All aspects matter; no one else will take you seriously if you don't take your muse (and corresponding gear) seriously.

Comment

I’m not ok with having a “good enough” tone
              I don't think anyone one is. Not to put words in anyone's mouths but I think the point some are trying to make is you can get a great tone without spending thousands of dollars. If you have a Peavey Bandit, mid-range Ibanez and a DS1 you can get the job done if need be. There are many reasons why people play what they play. Preferences, geographics, economics, ease-of-use and a pile of other factors come to mind. I don't think "good enough" is one of those factors.

Comment

I want to clarify my above comment about having a good tone for my sake....
                I don’t want anyone to think that when we gig it’s all about my tone....
                It’s absolutely about putting on a show.
                We are all over the stage, interacting with each other and the crowd. The singer is out in the audience doing his thing...if the stage has risers we are up on them playing solos etc....
                In no way are we playing obscure songs that nobody knows. Every song we play is or was a radio hit on some level.
                None of that is lost on me.
                All I was trying to say is that I need good tone for me...and by having that, it translates into good tone for the audience and a good overall band sound.
                That’s win-win.
                I’m not ok with having a “good enough” tone for a bar full of people that probably don’t know any better anyway. Hell, most people (non musicians) couldn’t tell the difference between a guitar and a bass in a mix anyway.
                I knew what you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                  I knew what you meant.
                  I think we all did. If you are not digging your live tone your mind is not in the game and it affects the show. It is not enjoyable to play something "good enough". If you are not enjoying yourself chances are the audience is not enjoying themselves.

Comment

Yeah..agreed but there's a difference between having good tone & being anal about tone to the point that it gets annoying for the crowd. There's nothing a crowd likes less than a band that takes ages to set up and then stops after every song so the guitarist/s can switch amp's/guitars & tweak their tone to *perfection* over & over & over again. Tone is great and all..but set things up reasonably quick to your satisfaction (which should be fairly easy going if you gig a lot..) & then rock out/don't look back.
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

And none of it matters without a decent monitor system.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Not surprised. Not even a little.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                          I think the usual barroom / backyard party patrons have some sense of good tone... especially those of our generation who grew up on 70's - 80's rock.
                          You bring up an interesting point here:

The distinction between a righteous tone that gives us a tone-bone, and good sound. You have to have good sound no matter what. But a righteous tone may/may not happen, even by my admittedly low standards...

I NEVER support a bad sound/mix.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The distinction between a righteous tone that gives us a tone-bone, and good sound. I NEVER support a bad sound/mix.
                            I get what you are throwing down. If I am playing in a bar am I going to be righteous? No. Will I have great tone? Yes. If I am trying to dial every cover to the guitarist's exact settings there would be many guitar changes, head swaps and pedal tap-dancing beyond belief. I think most people are interested in hearing a guitarist with a great tone banging out their favorite tunes. Your average bar-patron doesn't care or know if you are using a Carbon Copy, Memory Man or a DD3, they just want the band to rock. I think in some ways as guitarists we unnecessarily put too much pressure on ourselves sometimes.

However, it is nice when we go the extra mile and someone takes the time after the set to tell us they noticed.

Comment

The thing with something like the Kemper is, you don't have to change your settings for every song if you don't want to. And you certainly don't have to scroll through every cabinet sim in a song.
                              My Spidervalve has 128 presets; four channels in 32 banks. I can manually turn on/off distortion/compression, modulation, delay, reverb and boost. I usually set each bank with a clean sound, two crunch and one full on distortion. Also, dedicated volume and wah/whammy (if the effect is on).
                              If I were gigging with it, I might only use one bank per set. And while the tones might not be perfect, ie. exactly the amp that's modelled, I doubt many in a live setting are going to be able tell, as long as I have dialed them in to sound good in the mix.
                              All of that for a fraction of the cost of the actual amp's/cabs/effects. Not to mention keeping said amps etc out of harms way if one actually owns the real thing. Oh, and ease of set up/breakdown.
                              Still, to each their own.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

However, it is nice when we go the extra mile and someone takes the time after the set to tell us they noticed.
                                Honestly, I much prefer hearing something along the lines of "Killer set ..you guys kicked all kinds of ass!" to "wow, was that a Memory Man you were using up there!!??"

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                                they just want the band to rock. I think in some ways as guitarists we unnecessarily put too much pressure on ourselves sometimes.
                                This.
                                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X