Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Originally posted by justFred View Post
    Could we see a list of those Line 6 POD touring pros? Never seen a little red kidney shaped thing at a live show but they are small so I'd like to know...
    Off the top of my head, I know Weezer and Meshuggah both used the rackmount PODs. TSO & Nine Inch Nails, also. Loads of metal bands (who probably all eventually moved on to Axe-FX or Kemper) have used them. When I say "metal," I mean the current stuff most people on here don't like, not Dokken or Ratt.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

JB, I agree, most people don't like it.
      And those of us who do, prefer it that way [emoji41]

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Demanic; 07-23-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Interesting discussion.

The closer you get to a perfect system, the more apparent its shortcomings will be.

Even if you can nail every classic tone in the book, you've essentially reduced your sound to a facsimile of other people.

People will remember you for being you, not for being everyone else all at once. Players need identity.
        Last edited by Animal; 07-24-2019, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
          Interesting discussion.

The closer you get to a perfect system, the more apparent its shortcomings will be.

Even if you can nail every classic tone in the book, you've essentially reduced your sound to a facsimile of other people.

People will remember you for being you, not for being everyone else all at once. Players need identity.
          It is amazing to me how many players don't care about identity, and rejoice in sounding like a facsimile of other people.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            It is amazing to me how many players don't care about identity, and rejoice in sounding like a facsimile of other people.
            Agreed. The one thing I do not like about this new cover gig is the lack of identity and creativity. I need to start looking for an original side gig before I get too comfortable with this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              Agreed. The one thing I do not like about this new cover gig is the lack of identity and creativity. I need to start looking for an original side gig before I get too comfortable with this thing.
              I have found that to be the case with a large percentage of local bands in my area.
              You could so easily interchange members from one band to the next and nobody would know since they ALL play the same material.

Like you, I’ve been contemplating looking for an original project too. Not to take the place of the cover band but just for something to give me more of an outlet for all of the musical things swimming around in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Well, both are important to have out there, but I was never the right one to pick to play in a cover band.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Interesting discussion.

At the same time, there are very few pro (those who made the big time) guitar players out there with a unique, identifiable tone... compared to those without.

Lots of facsimilies in the pro world when it comes to tone... playing too. For example, the 80's were full of pro Ed clones.

(As well, there's no one on this forum with a unique, identifiable guitar tone)

Tone is finite... and it's all been done before. Just like a lot of the songs that have been written... they're all rehashed, regurgitated, etc... from something that came before it.

Identity as a guitarist comes from your solo phrasing, note choice and chord progressions etc (technique) far more than any tone. Add looks to the mix too, I suppose.

Nowadays, no guitarist who does standard stuff (e.g. not weird ****) is such a unique and special snowflake that they can claim to be 100% original... playing or tone wise.
                  (if they do claim to be, they are filled with delusions of grandeur and probably aren't very good)

You are a product of your guitar heroes.. and in turn, their guitar heroes that came before them... and so on.

Comment

Funny, but how often have I heard " So and so played through such and such and still sounded like themselves".
                    Many of you are missing that point.
                    So, you all keep debating this. I'm done.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't feel OP has don't enough to evaluate his Kemper's condition to really make a thread determining how disappointed he is like this.

Kemper is a manufacturer, manufacturers will never be perfect -He could have bought a Kemper that has had an electronic failure or a firmware issue. Infant mortality is going to occur on a % of ANYTHING new that is electronic -be it Digital or Analog, Solid State or Valve.

Kemper needs to be engaged and help assess the viability of his unit before casting conclusions IMO
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Ironically, most people know me as someone else....

Still, I have seen/heard a bunch of Kempers. Never once did I go "Damn - they NAILED that tone/sound!" Or "Wow - WTF is he playing through?!?!?"

Could have easily did it with POD or a Peavey Bandit, a Super Chorus and a DD3.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I know a couple of guy's who have them and it seems to be a weird love/hate thing with all of them. One minute they're crowing about this or that tone they dialed in or profiled or w/e the hell it is they do with it & the next thing they're moaning about how tough it is to get rid of them (here..cause for some reason most players I know want to play actual amps) and they can't wait to flip the thing...but resale sucks.

Personally, I think it's because they're too fiddly. There's way too many ridiculous options and way too many ways to mess things up & basically fry your brain & waste your ****ing time. Thing is, the more dumbed down things are the better the average Joe is able to use them to crank out sweet tone. I think player's need to start obsessing more about their playing and less about other ****. Again..not saying ..tone is unimportant (the way I did'nt say music theory is unimportant) just that there's a point after which you'd be best off just playing your guitar instead
                          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            At the same time, there are very few pro (those who made the big time) guitar players out there with a unique, identifiable tone... compared to those without.

Lots of facsimilies in the pro world when it comes to tone... playing too. For example, the 80's were full of pro Ed clones.

(As well, there's no one on this forum with a unique, identifiable guitar tone)

Tone is finite... and it's all been done before. Just like a lot of the songs that have been written... they're all rehashed, regurgitated, etc... from something that came before it.

Identity as a guitarist comes from your solo phrasing, note choice and chord progressions etc (technique) far more than any tone. Add looks to the mix too, I suppose.

Nowadays, no guitarist who does standard stuff (e.g. not weird ****) is such a unique and special snowflake that they can claim to be 100% original... playing or tone wise.
                            (if they do claim to be, they are filled with delusions of grandeur and probably aren't very good)

You are a product of your guitar heroes.. and in turn, their guitar heroes that came before them... and so on.
                            There's nothing new under the sun.

Having a musical identity does not imply uniqueness. It doesn't even have to be particularly interesting or impressive one either. Most of the greats are copying a handful of their own heroes. The point is that they made it their own thing.

Comment

There's nothing new under the sun.

Having a musical identity does not imply uniqueness. It doesn't even have to be particularly interesting or impressive one either. Most of the greats are copying a handful of their own heroes. The point is that they made it their own thing.
                              Meaningless, meaningless....

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                                JB, I agree, most people don't like it.
                                And those of us who do, prefer it that way [emoji41]
                                You have a Line 6 device, right? Came up with a really good aggressive metal patch last night. Lots of definition for low tunings, but still a little scooped and death metallish. If you’ve never spent time with the L6 Lunatic model, give it a go. Same with Spinal Puppet.
                                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                                X