Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I don't feel OP has don't enough to evaluate his Kemper's condition to really make a thread determining how disappointed he is like this.

Kemper is a manufacturer, manufacturers will never be perfect -He could have bought a Kemper that has had an electronic failure or a firmware issue. Infant mortality is going to occur on a % of ANYTHING new that is electronic -be it Digital or Analog, Solid State or Valve.

Kemper needs to be engaged and help assess the viability of his unit before casting conclusions IMO
    Quoting myself to add that this may not even be Kemper's fault -it could have been damaged in shipping, damaged in storage, damage when you first got it.

Point is, Kemper needs to be given a chance to assess remotely or shipped back for warranty evaluation.

Ya'll are making me defend a modeling amp company

I guess this is what happens when you are objective and reasonable.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      Ya'll are making me defend a modeling amp company
      Referring to the Kemper as a modeler is almost like using splitting and tapping interchangeable. It’s really not doing the same thing as Fractal, Line 6, etc...
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
        Referring to the Kemper as a modeler is almost like using splitting and tapping interchangeable. It’s really not doing the same thing as Fractal, Line 6, etc...
        I formally apologize for besmirching Kemper with a gross and unfair generalization.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It's actually doing something far easier and the end product is a lot less flexible in the sense that other "modelers" can have models for amps that don't exist (Helix has some).

I get that people love the sound of Kempers but defending it as "not modeling" is splitting hairs and not in a way that's favorable for Kemper.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Pointing out that modeling and profiling aren’t the same isn’t a defense. A statement not being negative doesn’t mean it’s positive.

Which is superior totally depends on your needs. If you want a patch based on your modded Marshall, your particular Fuzz Face, your old Crybaby, and your Echoplex, the Kemper will do that. If you need a hot rodded Marshall, a good fuzz, a good wah, and a tape echo, the modelers will do that.
            Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 07-25-2019, 01:35 PM.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I have a couple of halfway decent Marshall and Fender amps, but my interest in the Kemper came from the fact that other people, with better fundage that me, have WAY better amps, and if the Kemper reproduces them fairly accurately it would be great to play through them. I think if I had any experience with studio setups and studio monitors, I might have a better grasp of what to do with the Kemper. There are several internal changes to input and output settings I have found that made a big difference to what I was hearing. I was overloading the speakers even though I was not playing loud. The manual is definitely not friendly to non-tech bedroom players. Many of the other rigs you can download from the Kemper website do sound way better than what comes loaded in it which makes me wonder why Kemper does not supply better examples in the Amp since they already have them in packs on their website. The learning curve on this one is huge, but I can already see some improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr B
                The learning curve on this one is huge, but I can already see some improvements.
                That makes sense. My POD XT Live is a dinosaur in this realm, and I’m 3 months into it and still figuring stuff out. The more time I stick with it, though, the closer I get to what’s in my head. The Kemper and Axe-FX don’t have nearly as simplistic interfaces as my POD, and at least 10x the functionality, so I bet it is trying. I bet it winds up being worth the effort, though.

Comment

My Roland Cube circa 1997 can dial in any sound you really need in about 30 seconds.

Pick model (JC, Blackface, Vox, Bassman, 800, 5150, Recto) gain/vol, adjust BMT, add a delay/verb or some swirl and go.

Or spend 50 minutes with Kemper and still not be satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                    I have a couple of halfway decent Marshall and Fender amps, but my interest in the Kemper came from the fact that other people, with better fundage that me, have WAY better amps, and if the Kemper reproduces them fairly accurately it would be great to play through them. I think if I had any experience with studio setups and studio monitors, I might have a better grasp of what to do with the Kemper. There are several internal changes to input and output settings I have found that made a big difference to what I was hearing. I was overloading the speakers even though I was not playing loud. The manual is definitely not friendly to non-tech bedroom players. Many of the other rigs you can download from the Kemper website do sound way better than what comes loaded in it which makes me wonder why Kemper does not supply better examples in the Amp since they already have them in packs on their website. The learning curve on this one is huge, but I can already see some improvements.
                    Yeah, if you are really into tweaking settings like the input, output, tone stack, etc, something like a Fractal would be a better choice. It models the components of an amp and then 'connects' them, which you can freely swap with components from other amps. It isn't quite the 'snapshot' idea that the Kemper uses.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                      What you’re describing here really makes me NOT want a Kemper/AxeFX etc.
                      I think the thought of having any amp available at my fingertips is intriguing but I can’t be bothered fixing in/outs and endless tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        My Roland Cube circa 1997 can dial in any sound you really need in about 30 seconds.

Pick model (JC, Blackface, Vox, Bassman, 800, 5150, Recto) gain/vol, adjust BMT, add a delay/verb or some swirl and go.

With that mentality, ANYTHING works.

The Kemper can be as easy an any old skool amp. But it’s kind of funny how something digital somehow becomes incredibly hard and difficult just because it’s digital.

I’ve seen guys with big ass midi controlled pedalboards and complex amp switching say «I just wanna play man, not fiddle». Yeah, right! Lol

Comment

I guarantee I wouldn’t be happy with the tone for more than about 30 seconds.

Weirdos like me like tweaking stuff. Weirdos like me also like weirdo things like 8 string guitars, which do not sound good with 30 seconds of tweaking. I’m sure I could find an ok sound quickly, but I’m not going for an ok sound.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                            Meaningless, meaningless....
                            Thanks.

Comment

Haha. Aceman droppin' some serious bait on the thread trail.

Comment

I guarantee I wouldn’t be happy with the tone for more than about 30 seconds.

Weirdos like me like tweaking stuff. Weirdos like me also like weirdo things like 8 string guitars, which do not sound good with 30 seconds of tweaking. I’m sure I could find an ok sound quickly, but I’m not going for an ok sound.
                                And trust me man - I get and dig tweaking stuff. But I'm not into tweaking for tweaking's sake.

At some point I want to PLAY. More often than not - I want to go right to play.

And what makes you think it only sounds "ok" ???
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X