Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Originally posted by blind1 View Post
    Agreed, it isn't that hard to tell them apart especially when you know what they sound like anyway.

I disagree with this sentiment that the audience doesn't know or care. They may not have the vocabulary or ability to describe verbally what they hear in a band's sound; however, I do think they can subconsciously tell the difference. It's the difference between a filled dance floor or an empty one; the difference between selling lots of drinks or not; the difference between building a following or not. Maybe I'm crazy, but this just seems to be my experience when going out.

One of the best bands in my local area has several musicians and they all play on quality gear. It makes a difference. The guitarist, for example, plays on a Tweed Deluxe and damn does he make that thing sound good. They always pack the dance floor.

Compared to some group I saw recently that was clearly using rack mounted modeling units, they had a cheap, artificial sound and literally nobody on the dance floor. (Causation =/= correlation, but I find it hard to explain otherwise). In fact, most people were as far away from them as possible with their obnoxious band sound.
    The dance floor is empty cause the bands suck or play songs the audience don't want to hear. I watch bands for their music not the tone, which is the last thing I care about.

Generally speaking, in a live situation the sound is crap for whatever reason; too close to the speaker, poor acoutics, too many drunks showing their boobs, etc. So much with your quality Plexis, 5150s, Mesas, JCM 800s etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
      Generally speaking, in a live situation the sound is crap for whatever reason; too close to the speaker, poor acoutics, too many drunks showing their boobs, etc. So much with your quality Plexis, 5150s, Mesas, JCM 800s etc.
      Just saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Due to crappy design of the venue and it being too loud, it was an echoey mess. Neither the army of tubes or Derek being one of the best musicians ever (same goes for Susan and their incredible band) could overcome that.

Took my oldest son to see Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie the week before. Nothing but tubes for any of them, and the sound was horrendous at that, too. Saw Ghost a few years before, they use modelers, and it sounded great.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by OLDERBUDWISER View Post
        Obviously since he isnt American he is deluded in his grandeur, not one reason for that insult. WTH
        You talking about me mate? If you are, then.... Yeah, Nah.
        DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

You see? What I said in my huge post about Kemper's and all Modellers being in the same 'iphone' syndrome? Once again I am proven right. They have just released the 'Kemper Stage'.....

As I said, now all the Kemper fanboys, like the Axefx fanboys did with the II to get the III, will be dumping their once $3500-$4500 original Kempers, selling them cheap to go and blow another $4500 to get the Kemper Stage! p

"Oh, I don't ever have to buy tubes again....." Blah blah, but you want to fork out plata for the new Kemper computer becaue your betting it's sound better than the original.

Meanwhile I keep on rockin and rolling with my Marshall TSL100, just trying out different cocktails of valves out...... Awesome.
          DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Trying out endless variations of tubes is no different than upgrading a modeler. If you never settle on something you like and keep looking for 'better', you are just on a cycle of a different sort. Ideally, just buy the amp you like and spend your time playing and recording.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Kemper Profiler: Never been more disappointed in a purchase

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
              You see? What I said in my huge post about Kemper's and all Modellers being in the same 'iphone' syndrome? Once again I am proven right. They have just released the 'Kemper Stage'.....

As I said, now all the Kemper fanboys, like the Axefx fanboys did with the II to get the III, will be dumping their once $3500-$4500 original Kempers, selling them cheap to go and blow another $4500 to get the Kemper Stage! p

"Oh, I don't ever have to buy tubes again....." Blah blah, but you want to fork out plata for the new Kemper computer becaue your betting it's sound better than the original.

Meanwhile I keep on rockin and rolling with my Marshall TSL100, just trying out different cocktails of valves out...... Awesome.
              You realise that the Kemper stage is just a form factor? A form factor user have been bugging Kemper for for years. Hardware is exactly the same across the entire range. Now you have another choice, if floor models is your thing (and not just toaster or rack).

Not exactly like some other companies that leave/discontinue models to bring out version III is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Dahla; 07-30-2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Seriously...if you think a lot of "tube" fans haven't dumped their perfectly fine older gear for the latest and greatest tube models at some point, you're kidding yourself. Someone's buying those $3K Marshalls and it isn't your average high schooler who just picked up the guitar!

Plus, if you're regularly swapping tubes, pedals, speakers, etc, looking for a "better" sound, then you're giving in to the same follies being claimed of Kemper fans.

Pick your poison and stick with it. Stop assuming that you know the "secret" to tone and no one else does. People who like modelers/profilers/solid state amps are not a lower form of life and neither are people who stand by tubes. Good music has been made with all.

Most of what has been said in this thread is pure rubbish from a real world standpoint. I know the arguments will go on, but there's no point to the black and white way of looking at things...the fruit of life exists in the gray areas in between

Comment

Well said^^^

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                    Seriously...if you think a lot of "tube" fans haven't dumped their perfectly fine older gear for the latest and greatest tube models at some point, you're kidding yourself. Someone's buying those $3K Marshalls and it isn't your average high schooler who just picked up the guitar!

Plus, if you're regularly swapping tubes, pedals, speakers, etc, looking for a "better" sound, then you're giving in to the same follies being claimed of Kemper fans.

Pick your poison and stick with it. Stop assuming that you know the "secret" to tone and no one else does. People who like modelers/profilers/solid state amps are not a lower form of life and neither are people who stand by tubes. Good music has been made with all.

Most of what has been said in this thread is pure rubbish from a real world standpoint. I know the arguments will go on, but there's no point to the black and white way of looking at things...the fruit of life exists in the gray areas in between
                    Or better yet, buy a Yamaha Pacifica, a behringer tube screamer, and a Pignose amp and never think about gear ever again -BUT use that time to shred so much harder than anyone else that you become the master with your **** rig and ample time.
                    Last edited by NegativeEase; 07-30-2019, 02:00 PM.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

What we’ve learned so far:

-All the pros using modelers are wrong
                      -Android users buy one phone and never get a new one
                      -Kemper Profilers cost $4500
                      -Tube amp users never get defensive of their amp choices
                      -If you cant find your tone immediately, you’re incompetent
                      -Early 20th century technology is the answer for everyone
                      -Using a Tweed Fender will make people come see your band
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                        What we’ve learned so far:

-All the pros using modelers are wrong
                        -Android users buy one phone and never get a new one
                        -Kemper Profilers cost $4500
                        -Tube amp users never get defensive of their amp choices
                        -If you cant find your tone immediately, you’re incompetent
                        -Early 20th century technology is the answer for everyone
                        -Using a Tweed Fender will make people come see your band
                        I was unable to decipher this response.... can you send this to me in cursive on parchment via US mail in the continental english dialect? thanks
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          I was unable to decipher this response.... can you send this to me in cursive on parchment via US mail in the continental english dialect? thanks
                          Written with an iPen XXI

Comment

people argue about what tennis shoes are the best; what shoe laces; what jeans; what strings; what fishing pole; what tooth picks; what chop sticks....get over it...people argue over anything and everything...at least this complex subject has provided interesting perspectives and useful info...argue on brothers, argue against the dying of the light....

Comment

Seriously...if you think a lot of "tube" fans haven't dumped their perfectly fine older gear for the latest and greatest tube models at some point, you're kidding yourself.
                              Exactly. They were dumping their Plexis for the latest rackmount crap in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                                get over it...people argue over anything and everything...
                                I stated in my response that the arguments would certainly continue. However, just like the other examples you mentioned, they do absolutely nothing to:

a) change people's opinions
                                b) help you become a better player

Comment

Working...
                                X