Distortion pedal bonanza...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion pedal bonanza...

Hi everyone, I recently got the chance to get my hands on a dozen distortion pedals simultaneously! It was a very fun shootout (and a great photo came out of it):

Full list of pedals tested: Pro Co RAT2. Boss DS-1, MXR Super Badass Distortion, Fender Pugilist, TC Dark Matter, KHDK Dark Blood, Keeley Filaments, Wampler Dracarys, Walrus Iron Horse V2, EQD Acapulco Gold, JHS Angry Charlie V3, and Big Ear Woodcutter.

The results are compiled in a guide, I'll add the link if there's any interest (don't wanna violate any forum rules). Let me know if I can help answer any pedal vs. pedal questions while the shootout is fresh in my head!

Re: Distortion pedal bonanza...

looks like a fun pile!

Comment

Dracarys is on my list of pedals to own.
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

The KHDK is the only one in that pile I didn't like. everything else is rockin' for me.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Link! Link!

Comment

Yeah man!!!!! Got's to know!!!!!!!!

How were you testing? Straight in to clean or what? What style music/playing?

I know some (Rat, DS1, Dark Matter) well, others not so much.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Yeah man!!!!! Got's to know!!!!!!!!

How were you testing? Straight in to clean or what? What style music/playing?

I know some (Rat, DS1, Dark Matter) well, others not so much.
              Great questions

Ok, so for those asking for the link: best distortion pedal shootout

RAT is my personal fav of the bunch. I know maybe that's kind of a boring answer, but to me it just can't be imitated! It's so unique and good. My co-tester is split between a DS-1 as his mainstream choice, and the JHS Angry Charlie.

Regarding testing, there's a link in the actual article to the testing methodology (look where it says "review process here"). We do go straight into clean, but also several other ways. Main amps are a Blues Junior, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Fender Bassbreaker, Orange solid state amp, Yamaha solid state amp, and a VOX headphone amp. Signal chain matters a lot, so we try a bit of everything before writing our impressions!

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                The KHDK is the only one in that pile I didn't like. everything else is rockin' for me.
                Awesome. The one that felt lacking to me was the TC Dark Matter. More of an overdrive than a distortion, for my taste. It just lacks gain compared to the rest of the bunch.

Comment

Good read. Thanks.
                  Just realized I have been playing since 1983 and have never tried a DS-1! In my defense, I haven't used any distortion pedals since probably 1987 or so, but still...

Comment

Comment

What?
                      No MT-2?!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1554948187671.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	5816587

Comment

Wow, nice. Check my old school collection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	5816732

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          What?
                          No MT-2?!
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]100111[/ATTACH]
                          lol

I love the fact that you're running a compressor into the MT-2. Y'know. Because the MT-2 is soooo dynamic and uncompressed. Bahahahahahah!
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                            lol

I love the fact that you're running a compressor into the MT-2. Y'know. Because the MT-2 is soooo dynamic and uncompressed. Bahahahahahah!
                            Yes, well, I'm the type of person who puts siracha on my siracha too.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by equipboard View Post
                              Hi everyone, I recently got the chance to get my hands on a dozen distortion pedals simultaneously! It was a very fun shootout (and a great photo came out of it):

Full list of pedals tested: Pro Co RAT2. Boss DS-1, MXR Super Badass Distortion, Fender Pugilist, TC Dark Matter, KHDK Dark Blood, Keeley Filaments, Wampler Dracarys, Walrus Iron Horse V2, EQD Acapulco Gold, JHS Angry Charlie V3, and Big Ear Woodcutter.

The results are compiled in a guide, I'll add the link if there's any interest (don't wanna violate any forum rules). Let me know if I can help answer any pedal vs. pedal questions while the shootout is fresh in my head!
                              Oh, I'm dreaming about such stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X