Rechargeable pedal power supplies???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rechargeable pedal power supplies???

I would love feedback from people who own or have used any of the rechargeable pedal power supplies. I am interested in getting one, as I am blind and having one less plug socket to find on stage would be excellent. I do not use any of the larger scale digital pedals like Eventide, Source Audio, Boss DD500, etc (scrolling thorugh menus is not my cup of tea). Right now, I have some Mooer mini pedals, a mini Wampler Tumnus, a Mini 535Q, TC Electronic FLashback, Voodoo Vibe, Pig Tronix Fat Drive and a Allston Minion fuzz. Ill most likely pick up a reverb pedal as well. So I am looking at powering 9 to 10 pedals depending on if I am using my amp or a backline.

Re: Rechargeable pedal power supplies???

I am using the pedal train volto 3 and really like it. I am only using it to power 2 pedals at the moment. But it still has over half a full charge after 3 weeks. It comes with cables to power up to 6 pedals. And I believe you can expand on that. It has a total output of 2000ma. The main reason I went with it is I was having a lot of excess noise and hum. No matter what power supply I used. So i thought I’d give it a try and it works perfectly for my needs. You can leave your pedals plugged in and just turn the power supply off. And it doesn’t run it down.

Comment

Awesome your gigging out and visually impaired -so I can't imagine all of your various challenges easily, but would having a rechargeable battery system where you need to monitor the battery level bother you more? -it would make me paranoid personally. I always carry a Y splitter and extension in the back of my amp to avoid hunting for extra club AC of there's not a soundman maybe thats a simple solution too, regardless of if you decide on a rechargeable system, -after all in needs to me charged before the gig.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I’m using the Truetone CS12 for my board. They also make smaller units too. It’s quiet and the outputs are isolated. Works great with my digital pedals too. I know you said you don’t have any but you never know...very affordable for the price too.

I’m not sure what you mean by rechargeable power supply....my Truetone is just plug in and play...no need to recharge anything.

Comment

There are several companies making rechargeable pedal power supplies today.. Pedaltrain, Outlaw, Mission Engineering, Joyo, etc. You can charge up a power bank and run a daisy chain off of it. One less plug to find on stage and its guaranteed clean power since any grounding issues or dirty power on stage do not impact the pedals because they run on a battery source.

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
            I am using the pedal train volto 3 and really like it. I am only using it to power 2 pedals at the moment. But it still has over half a full charge after 3 weeks. It comes with cables to power up to 6 pedals. And I believe you can expand on that. It has a total output of 2000ma. The main reason I went with it is I was having a lot of excess noise and hum. No matter what power supply I used. So i thought I’d give it a try and it works perfectly for my needs. You can leave your pedals plugged in and just turn the power supply off. And it doesn’t run it down.
            I was anxious of rechargeable units (old memories of incredibly instable rechargeable 9V batteries during the early 2000s) but since I have my Shure GLXD16 including a contemporary Li-Ion battery technology that can easily run 13-15 1+ hour shows in a row, I'm almost convinced that it might be a good idea to switch to a battery-based pedal power supply.

Apart from the "charge up and forget" attitude, I'm greatly interested in the reduced noise.

What is your experience? Apart from the disappearence of tranny noise, did you experience any sort of grounding issue?
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
              I was anxious of rechargeable units (old memories of incredibly instable rechargeable 9V batteries during the early 2000s) but since I have my Shure GLXD16 including a contemporary Li-Ion battery technology that can easily run 13-15 1+ hour shows in a row, I'm almost convinced that it might be a good idea to switch to a battery-based pedal power supply.

Apart from the "charge up and forget" attitude, I'm greatly interested in the reduced noise.

What is your experience? Apart from the disappearence of tranny noise, did you experience any sort of grounding issue?
              Yeah I had of if ground loop hum and popping as well. Our house is pretty old and the wiring is old. I always figured a lot of the noise came from my amps. Seeing as I always used voodoo labs or mxr isolated power supplies. But going with the volto got rid of about 75% of the noise I was having. Plus having one less thing to plug into the wall means one less thing running across the floor.

Comment

When I swapped out my boards to the Strymon Ojai power, a lot of the noise from my digital pedals went away -there's a comprehensive thread on this forum where I go through the quality of various supplies for all ya'll wanting to keep it AC.

Also, EHX pedals are notorious digital noise makers IME, love them -but they are noisy.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
                  Yeah I had of if ground loop hum and popping as well. Our house is pretty old and the wiring is old. I always figured a lot of the noise came from my amps. Seeing as I always used voodoo labs or mxr isolated power supplies. But going with the volto got rid of about 75% of the noise I was having. Plus having one less thing to plug into the wall means one less thing running across the floor.
                  Thanks for the insight.
                  Wackor
                  Ørdøg
                  NecroPolo
                  Diabolus in Musica
                  SIDrip Alliance
                  Book of Shadows
                  RKH

Comment

I also use a Volto 3 and it's brilliant. I run a small board with 4 pedals on it, and it lasts plenty of time. The bonus with the Volto over some rechargeable units is that you can still use it while it charges, so if you do get caught out with low charge you can still plug as you would with a normal mains powered supply. I had the Volto 2 before it and only stopped using it because I stepped on the charger plug and broke the mini USB connector in the supply.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Hey OP -what kind of noise are you hearing in your rig? analog (hum or static) or digital?

Comment

Working...
                      X