Made up a riff in a dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made up a riff in a dream

Right before I woke up this morning I had a dream of being in a music store, playing guitar with another guitarist and a drummer. I couldn't really see them, but we were playing off each other with several riffs and such, and the last one I remembered was something like this (I added bass to round it out):

Last edited by DankStar; 08-01-2019, 07:53 PM.

Re: Made up a riff in a dream

Cool that you could remember and record it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      Cool that you could remember and record it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
      I knew if I didn't hurry and do a quick thing with my phone I would have forgotten!

Comment

Sometimes when I dream and I'm on the verge of waking ip, I hear the most beautiful music ever. When I wake up I rush over to my guitar, but by then I realize that it was just my brain chemistry playing tricks on me, like how we can have nightmares and wake up to realize how ridiculous they were.

It's good to know that yours actually was worth putting to paper. I have to wonder though, what were you dreaming about where your unconscious mind thought that fit the scene? It almost sounds like something from a N64 game.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I think it’s similar to what you are describing Christopher. It seemed much more proggy and deep in the dream. It’s like I couldn’t reproduce that element. I recently was put under for a medical procedure. I think it played with my subconscious.

Comment

Sounds a bit like the Peter Gunn theme. I say work with it.

Comment

I was thinking Knight Rider lol

Comment

So cool you were able to remember it with such detail. I've had an idea or two come out of dreams. A wonderful experience to have.
                Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

Man, I would never remember something like that from a dream, I have a terrible dream memory!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Sounds cool to me. But I'm not surprised..

While I've never had a riff show up in a dream (not much point 'cause I don't remember my dreams either), that's pretty much how most riffs (or solo's) come to me anyway ..just pop into my head like a voice from nowhere (a 'live-streaming' voice in the case of solo's). I've never had to "work on" one (riff or solo) ever.

I guess it's like day-dreaming
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Cool, I like the riff. Because it's a fast stream of 16th notes, I think that after a couple repetitions it would work really well as a variation to throw some 16th or even 8th note rests into it.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Sound good make -I like the tone too.

Weird, I make up a lot of dreams while playing a riff.

Seriously though, I sleep with a pad and paper at bedside, and Evernote and WavePAD on my phone and IPAD to record thoughts, ideas, riffs etc whenever they occur -and especially if woken from a dream! I get all kinds of riff/song ideas sleeping.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          Cool, I like the riff. Because it's a fast stream of 16th notes, I think that after a couple repetitions it would work really well as a variation to throw some 16th or even 8th note rests into it.
                          I like this feedback, as communicating musical ideas is as much about the space between the notes as the notes.

OP has a nice flowing repetitive 16th note riff, now maybe explore breaking it up with some space to develop/vary it.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                          X