Can't beat my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't beat my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

I'm a relatively new bass player, but long time guitar player. I bought an older, beat up Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass (with Duncan Designed pickups) to keep at school for the students to play on during guitar club. I never left it there because I have had so much fun playing it myself. I tried twice to buy myself a "better" bass to keep at the house. First, a Fender Mexican made Jaguar PJ bass. High frets, rough fret ends, harsh sounding pickups. Next a Mexican made Deluxe PJ bass that ran over 800 dollars new. The neck needed a fairly significant shim on day 1 just to get the action anywhere near acceptable, string alignment was off unless you cranked the neck to one side. Didn't like the badass bridge as much as the cheap Squier bridge. Sticky finish on the neck. Pickups didn't sound as good as the Squier's Duncan Designed. I'm done with Mexican made fenders for now, and have been pondering about an American Made Jazz bass, but I wonder if even that is going to be that much of a step up from this great little Squier VM Jazz Bass...

Re: Can't beat my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

I love my VM Jazz Bass. Have been happily using it for more than 10 years now . . . my only complaint is that it's heavy as a boat anchor. Sounds great, and is lovely to play. The only modification I did to it was shielding the pickguard and control cavities.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Nothing wrong with low-buck Fenders. I've owned a couple, and have setup several for clients. Made in America is no guarantee of superior quality any more. The rest of the world stepped up their game.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I love my son's Classic Vibe P-Bass. I put in new pots and tuners when it needed them, other than that it's a great bass.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I love my VM maple Jazz Bass - some even have a two-piece body (mine is three piece.) Excellent build quality - really on-par with most MIM offerings. I just wish it was string-through, and have to admit the almost identical US model next to it at the shop at the time still felt better.
          Originally posted by King Buzzo
          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

EBMM has a budget Stingray model that I've been having a whale of a time with recently. It's only got a single pickup, but the active 2-band EQ on it will take it anywhere I need it to be. I didn't even need to set it up out of the box either.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

My favorite bass is a JBass I pieced together. It has an ash body and knock off quarter pound pickups. Low and smooth is the best way to describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Killer Basses for the money! Here’s mine:

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've got a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar bass and I can't really tell the difference between that and some nicer Fenders I've tried in stores.

I (unintentionally) had to order two from Amazon (they had a crazy good price I've never seen again) and kept the one I liked more. The first arrived with a chip in the finish and then luckily the second one also sounded much brighter/louder, which I like. The first was pretty dull and dead sounding.

I'm not really a bass player though, so I'm sure there's little things I'm missing (particularly nuances in the tone). But the basics that I know to look for in quality are all good. I haven't bothered to upgrade the pickups because I can't justify spending $200 on pickups for a $270 bass.

I've thought about upgrading and getting a 5 string, but again, I can't justify the price increase for what minimal difference I'd see.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m also not primarily a bass player (though I was at one point.) These also still have the thinner Squier body- that’s not a minus since they’re still pretty weighty and fret access improves with the smaller heel. Interesting to see the pickups posted in the linked thread.
                    Originally posted by King Buzzo
                    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I'm not a bass player, but I loved every one of those I pickled up. Felt great, sounded great,. great price, never read any hate.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        EBMM has a budget Stingray model that I've been having a whale of a time with recently. It's only got a single pickup, but the active 2-band EQ on it will take it anywhere I need it to be. I didn't even need to set it up out of the box either.
                        I have one of those too. I played so many within my budget and yet the SUB Ray4 kept calling my name and felt/played better than the rest. All I've done is change pickup out for a Duncan SMB-4A and wired it in parallel like original StingRays.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 08-23-2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

As a guitarist that infrequently plays bass, my Squier Jag bass suits me well.

If I was really serious, I might consider a step up.

Comment

Impressed with my VM Jazz bass. Great value for the price.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Very impressed with my Squire VM Jazz 5. Nothing touch it for the money (I'm bass player first and have 4 other basses).
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2612 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	5816881

Comment

Working...
                              X