which amp should i bring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which amp should i bring...

i have a bass gig saturday in woodstock. i have a gk 800rb and ampeg svt 5 pro, either of which would work well but... i also have a dual showman reverb that i could use to power the 4x10 and 1x15 cab. 100w enough power for the gig? there is a full pa so only need stage volume. gig is a blues/rock show with a friend of mine, hes opening for santana earlier that day in bethel but his bassist cant do the second gig so for some unknown reason he thinks its a good idea to have me play bass... im questioning his sanity a bit but whatever anyway... 100w tube head enough umph or should i just bring the ampeg and be done with it

Re: which amp should i bring...

I think 100w should be fine if there is a full PA. Hell, Geddy doesn't even use a bass amp anymore. But for sanity's sake, I would bring the Ampeg or GK. I would rather have some headroom in reserve instead of hoping the Fender is going to do the job. You can always turn an amp down but contrary to popular belief no amp goes to 11.

Comment

+1
      "I have too much power and headroom" said no bassist ever.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

well phooey, i guess ill bring the ampeg

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          well phooey, i guess ill bring the ampeg
          Why phooey? That sounds like a superb choice? What bass will you be bringing?

Comment

allen woody rumblekat, '77 maple neck jazz bass, and a rw board jazz bass. probably just the 4x10 with the ampeg. the head weighs as much as the cab so ill probably for go the 1x15

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              the head weighs as much as the cab so ill probably for go the 1x15
              It is not like you are 5 foot 105 lbs. I think you will be fine moving the Ampeg.

Comment

oh my 6'2" 240lbs ass can move it all fine but i dont need all 1000w blasting through 4x10 and 1x15. 600w through 4x10 will be plenty. if i was using the dsr id bring both cabs since the amp wants to see a 4ohm load

Comment

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who likes using a 4x10 with a 15 (or a 2x15 in my case). Though one of these days I want to get a cab with a horn.

Comment

If you are going through the PA, use the smaller rig. The other people onstage can hear you through the monitors.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

this is a blues/rock trio and we are playing down in woodstock for some event er somethin. the dsr is almost as heavy as the ampeg, just thought it might be fun to run a tube amp for the night. im assuming the sound guy will use a di rather than mic the cab but im bringing a heil pr35 anyway in case i can talk him into mic'ing the cab. there is nothing small or light about any of this. i do own two 1x10 ampeg cabs with terrific eminence hemp cone speakers that they dont make any more and have my buddies little quilter bass block head if i was gonna go light and portable but nah... i dont do bass gigs very often

Comment

I hear what you're saying. Tube amp for a blues gig just screams authentic. But I would still rather run a SS rig with a lot of headroom. Just because. But, that's me. Mmmm, Ampeg...

Comment

I don't do bass gigs much, either. I've done them with guitar synth (!?!), but now I have a Jazz Bass and a small Ampeg combo. If I were to do more bass gigs, I'd assemble a small rig that sounds massive through a PA.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i have a massive rig that sounds massive even without any pa the gk head and those neo loaded 10" cabs make a very portable and capable rig. hard to beat 1000w through 4x10 and 1x15 though.

i may try the tube amp through the cabs just for giggles when i have time but that wont happen before the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              If you are going through the PA, use the smaller rig. The other people onstage can hear you through the monitors.
                              Come on Dave not everyone can carry their entire rig in their back pocket like you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X