What's the chord at 12:08 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the chord at 12:08 ?

This video is mostly bla-bla but at 12:08 he strikes a chord that sounds great and I can't figure out what it is? Thx

https://youtu.be/NBt7ZdqOBFg

Re: What's the chord at 12:08 ?

Is that supposed to be “Custard Pie”?

Comment

Yes, it is.

Can't guarantee it, but pretty sure it's just an E7, play an open E major and put your pinky down on the d on the second string.

Those noisy, clanky "demo" videos of vintage equipment make me want to get rid of my quiet modern stuff, not...
      Last edited by devastone; 08-17-2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I was gonna suggest a YouTube “play custard pie on guitar” vid.

Comment

Sounds like it might be a b3 of the key, with some accidentally suspended or added notes in it. The dude totally sucks, so who knows what he hit.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

P.S. I listened again, with a guitar in hand this time, and realized that he is going b3-----b3-4 (C--------C-D) for that part of the song, when Zeppelin goes b7------b6-b7 (G-----F-G).

And I think it's some form of screwed up C4 with a G bass...when it should have been some form of a G. I think what he played is just an open bar on the third fret, with the exception of adding a fretted note three frets up from the bar on the B string.

For example (pardon the laundry baskets):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 8-17-19 at 10.54 AM #2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	5816793
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-17-2019, 12:00 PM.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I looked up the tab. I’m not saying it’s 100% but it says it’s a Dm11. Just bar the 10th fret and play the bottom 4 strings.

Comment

It might contain those notes only on the guitar part of the arrangement, but the root of the chord in the composition is G. That would make it a G7sus4.

So take what I thought it was in the pic above, and lay your ring finger across the fifth fret of the A, D, and G strings, while leaving the pinky where I showed it in the pic. The middle four strings give you exactly what you just named (but in an arguably "better" position), and you can choose to include or exclude the low G.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 8-17-19 at 5.03 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	5816795
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Apparently I was at the wrong 12:08!

Comment

I'm friggin stumped. It looks like he's just barring the 3rd fret lol. But I hear a tri tone in there like it's an A7. I ain't sittin here all day tho. We need Beers in here with his damn perfect pitch.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

You can hear it definitely has an F and a C in it the way that guy played it, and I know the chord at that point in the song is a G. As for what the dude in the video actually played, who knows. It sounded to me like he was playing a C-rooted chord (b3 of the song), and then went b3-4 for the following two chords leading back to the 1, while the song is supposed to be on a G there (the b7 of the song), and go b6-b7 for the next two changes leading back to the 1. In short, the video dude sounded a fifth off, in terms of what chord roots he was using for that part.

As for what Page played, I believe that the notes Gtrjunior posted sound correct (though the chord name from that tab he quoted is clearly wrong, and probably the fingering too). Listening to the recording, you know there's, at the very least, higher octaves of C and F. The rest of the chord is obscured to my ears, but the 4 and the b7 stick out like sore thumbs.

In short, I thought the dude played the formation in the first pic I posted. But the second pic makes more sense as for what Page might have played on the recording.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-18-2019, 07:41 PM.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

It's an L minor.

Comment

Working...
                        X