Good Headphone Guitar Amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Headphone Guitar Amps?

I'm going to college and want to buy a small pocket sized amplifier that I can plug my guitar and headphones into so I can practice in my dorm without bothering anyone.

What's good out there for me? Really all I need are volume, tone, gain, and maybe bass controls. Really what I want is a good solid clean tone for my double fat (PGn/CCb) Strat, with enough gain on tap to do harder rock. Think Van Halen or Led Zeppelin.

Re: Good Headphone Guitar Amps?

Look into an Orange Micro Dark. They have good sounding gain, good sounding headphone output, a super flexible EQ setup, an effects loop, and enough power to drive a 4x12 at a show without breaking a sweat.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Oh, I should have clarified, I preferably want one that's 9v or battery powered.

Comment

How are the AmPlug 2 amps, does anyone know?

Comment

I would recommend the SR&D Rockman, but I dig the 80s and I digress...

Comment

Do you have an I-phone? Maybe consider an I-rig.

Comment

Nope, only Android.

Does the Amplug 2 jack fit in a Strat? It looks like it might be iffy.

Comment

I have one of the little Vox units that plug into the guitar. Used through my daughter's good quality headphones it sounds really impressive. Through my cheap ear buds it sounds thin and harsh. So get decent headphones!

I have the "Classic Rock" model, which has chorus, reverb, and delay (one at a time, though), all if which have multiple settings. It is really not bad at all.

But if you really only want good cleans then an outdated digital modeler really is the way to go. I bought one a few years ago used for $30 and it had some truly amazing clean sounds. I ditched it because the dirty sounds were really bad.

Comment

This thread convinced me to pick up an Amplug 2 at GC today. I'll let you know how it goes later on this evening.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Do you have an I-phone? Maybe consider an I-rig.
                    This was what I was going to post.

Even just sticking with the free amps and pedals, it sounds great. And you can play along with tracks in the Music app.

I have the older iRig and it works fine with the headphone dongle on my iPhone 8+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I suggest buying a good set of IEM whatever solution you choose. I bought a set of KZ ZS6 for $50 and they are really good.
                      I tried some "iRig" solutions and was less than impressed and would get obsolete in 4-5 years due to technology/software/phone swap.
                      I would suggest a Boss GT1 or Zoom G1 Four. Both battery operated with headphone-out/aux-in. Can also be used in front of your amp so not only a headphone practice solution.

Comment

I have tried the iRig and it's not the best solution but it's an option. The orange micro crush is what I currently use to train at home. 3 watts (and it's really loud),it works with battery or with an external power. It sounds better that the 1W Marshall, that I have at my mother's house. Take a look at it. I am sure you will find it useful
                        Last edited by EmiAba; 08-27-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Good Headphone Guitar Amps?

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
                          I have tried the iRig and it's not the best solution but it's an option.
                          He said headphones. So how is that not the best solution?

I use mine for when I need to practice with an amplified tone, and along with songs I need to practice.

Though for regular practicing I don’t use an amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Leon Todd did a video featuring the original SR&D Rockman:

I'd say the original SR&D Rockman or X100 would be the best if you can get your hands on one.

Comment

Working...
                            X