No announcement yet.

Watch me ruin a guitar I kinda hate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Watch me ruin a guitar I kinda hate!

gritting bending seems about right on a guitar like this. seems like a cool little ax to play with once you get the frets fixed

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      gritting bending seems about right on a guitar like this. seems like a cool little ax to play with once you get the frets fixed
      The gritty feel and buzzing frets were pissing me off, so I pulled the strings and carefully went over the three remaining high spots with the file again to get them perfect (Important to note - take your time on this . . . it's really annoying to have to do it a second time). Then polished that bastard for three days of spare time straight. Now the frets are like glass. Nicer than any frets I've used before. Also threw away the crappy plastic nut and filed down the bone nut from my last guitar to fit.

Went 200 - 300 - 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000 - 1200 grit sandpaper, and spent a good couple minutes per fret for each different polishing method. Definitely need to get myself a Dremel and some polishing attachments if I'm going to do this **** again.

Guitar plays really nicely now. It's still a kooky oddball guitar, but between the new wiring and the frets she should have lots of life left in her. Sounds great too . . . I was goofing around and did a quick recording today:

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13916427

0:00 - Clean - Neck + Bridge
      1:13 - Crunch - Mid + Bridge w/Solo switch
      2:26 - OD - Neck w/Solo switch - OD
      3:12 - OD - Mid
      3:58 - Hi-Gain - Bridge

I don't like the 24 inch scale neck. The frets are great, but my hands feel too big playing on it, and I'm tripping over myself. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I think I'll probably end up selling it (I'd be happy to get back the costs of the crap I bought for fretting). This is a fun guitar just for making noises though - it's pretty easy to get controllable feedback with the gain up. The pickups are unpotted and also pretty microphonic - but surprisingly not too buzzy. At the very end you can hear me tapping on the pickguard with my fingers and it's coming through the pickups quite clearly under higher gain. Bet I could use 'em as a weird mic effect for vocals.
      Last edited by GuitarStv; 08-31-2019, 12:59 PM.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I freaking love the tone of that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I freaking love the tone of that guitar.
          Yeah, not sure if it's the weird old single coils or the super short scale, but it has a kinda distinctive tone.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Yeah, not sure if it's the weird old single coils or the super short scale, but it has a kinda distinctive tone.
            Both, plus the odd body and other hardware.

Comment

Well, After the refret she played nicely, but I couldn't get along with the short scale neck.

So I just sold it to a guy for 400$, who loved the way it played and sounded. :P Covers the cost of all my fretting supplies, and then some . . . and taught me enough that I was able to successfully re-fret my Epi Dot too! (****, it's awful fretting a guitar when you can't remove the neck).

Turns out it's not a Teisco but a Fujigen-Gakki guitar. At least that's what a random guy on Craigslist told me . . . and the pickups seem to match the ones on these guitars: https://drowninginguitars.com/2016/0...ctric-guitars/. Hopefully this tidbit of information helps someone somewhere on the interwebs at some point.

Comment

Fujigen Gakki - Greco..... aka IBANEZ.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  Fujigen Gakki - Greco..... aka IBANEZ.
                  Makes sense. I like the look of some Ibanez guitars, but have never found one that I liked the neck on.

Comment

I like the look of some Ibanez guitars, but have never found one that I liked the neck on.
                    Try more of them. Ibanez has a broad array of neck shapes and profiles.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                    X