Pedals into Fender Blues Junior –> horrible sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedals into Fender Blues Junior –> horrible sound

a buddy of mine has a new box for his blues jr and it sounds great. same type of thing as linked to above, solid pine oversized 1x12.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Every time you read about this amp in forums, there is a chorus of people who say "you have to do this and this, in order for it to sound the best". You'd think Fender would've read this and resolve whatever issues it might have.
      They did. They called it the Bassbreaker 15.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

They addressed it even before that but it was unpopular.
        They took the 2001 - 2003 Blues Junior fully assembled chassis and put into a larger cabinet that housed a 12 and a 10.
        They called it the Two-Tone but it was not a success story at all.
        It sounded pretty darned decent, proving the Blues Junior can sound good but it lacked all of those things that draws people to the Blues Junior in the first place.
        Small size and light weight.
        The Two-Tone can be found on the used market but they are usually priced out of reach for most people.

Comment

I have always been curious to read or hear reports of how this separate head and cab conversion kit sounds. If you check out the picks you will see that the amp chassis is reoriented so the heat from the tubes no longer rises up into the circuitry like the stocker does. That's always been a source of frustration for amp techs as amps that get a significant amount of use can start to cook the traces on the PCBs. I used to own an amp from a different company that was built that same way and you could see the discolouration of the board and it created lots of intermittent issues for me. It was rather frustrating. I eventually bit the bullet had the board properly repaired at a hefty expense and then I sold it right after, while I still could get something out of it.

To the OP, I apologize again.
          We've kind of derailed your thread.

Comment

it was a cool amp but the price was too steep for what they were selling. you could still get a used blues jr in good shape for $200 back then, and the speakers were nothing to write home about.

Comment

Originally posted by MGW View Post
              I have always been curious to read or hear reports of how this separate head and cab conversion kit sounds. If you check out the picks you will see that the amp chassis is reoriented so the heat from the tubes no longer rises up into the circuitry like the stocker does. That's always been a source of frustration for amp techs as amps that get a significant amount of use can start to cook the traces on the PCBs. I used to own an amp from a different company that was built that same way and you could see the discolouration of the board and it created lots of intermittent issues for me. It was rather frustrating. I eventually bit the bullet had the board properly repaired at a hefty expense and then I sold it right after, while I still could get something out of it.

To the OP, I apologize again.
              We've kind of derailed your thread.
              So that's why the better amps have the tubes standing on top of the board vs hanging under them.
              Makes sense.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                So that's why the better amps have the tubes standing on top of the board vs hanging under them.
                Makes sense.
                Older amp designs usually had the tube sockets mounted to the steel chassis rather than mounted directly to the turret board. Newer amps often see the sockets mounted directly to the PCB which is problematic in a gigging amplifier. Not as detrimental in a home practice amp that does not see the same amount of power-on time. In no way is the Blues Junior singled out in this respect. It is just one of a great many. Something to look for, perhaps if longevity is a concern.
                Last edited by MGW; 09-10-2019, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Pedals into Fender Blues Junior –> horrible sound

I really love the Eminence Texas Heat speaker for any Fender amp design.

Eminence says it is 2/3 American, which gives it a great clean, and 1/3 British, so it takes distortion well!

Another point is that for any amplifier that is set for very pristine clean, distortion sounds shriller than it does coming out of a slightly dirty amp or one with the mids set higher. Most great clean sounds have the mids cut back a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MGW View Post
                    Found it.
                    Here is a link to the cabinet I was referring to above.

Carl's Custom Guitars - oversize cabinet for the Blues Junior
                    Mojo Tone also makes oversize replacement cabs for the BJ and PJ amps.
                    Al

Comment

Glad I came across this thread, I feel the same about my Blues Junior. I think I'll give the Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker a try.
                      Last edited by littlefish; 09-20-2019, 04:34 PM.
                      "That's the cool thing about the guitar - there's always more to learn." -Jim Heath

Comment

The blues jr was my first tube amp (way back in '97/'98) I think it was the first revision.

I could never get it to sound good with anything but a tube screamer. And even then I had the same issues as the op.

I even ran it thru different cabinets and speakers.

I can believe blues Jr's cost 600 bucks or more for the ltd editions!
                        My laney lionheart l5 is easily twice the amp. For not much more, and comes with a celestino anniversary speaker stock.

Comment

The first thing to do is clip out the hardwired 100 pF bright cap.

Comment

Cannibus Rex fixed mine.
                            I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Yeah, I venture to say that amp and speaker aren't voiced well for a Big Muff. That's sort of a pseudo vintage tribute amp voiced for traditional 50s blues with 50s drive
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X