banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compensating tone change from 22 to 24 fret neck lead tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compensating tone change from 22 to 24 fret neck lead tone?

We can't fight physics, fellers... On a 22 fretter, the neck pickup is right under the harmonics that are at the 24th fret for open strings. I can't remember who did it, but some maker cut the pickup ring years ago to get the neck pickup right up against the fingerboard. I also had a 19 fret Harmony Rocket decades ago, and the position gave that neck pickup a really full tone. Played clean it sounded incredible, with dirt - an indistinguishable sludge. The Mastodon guys would have loved it.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I kinda like a 24fret guitar with a neck humbucker.

I find it cuts the boominess one gets on a 22 fret location.

Comment

Most of my guitars are 24 fret. I like playing on the neck pickup, both clean and dirty, and I find no problem with the sound that I get. But then, I tend to run my neck pickups either split to the screw coil or in parallel. Except in my Jackson with the Floyd. In that I have an inexpensive Asian no name pickup in the neck position, 8.5k that I swapped an A5 into, and it gives glorious cleans.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          We can't fight physics, fellers...
          You can fight it, I know it won't sound exactly the same but thinking out of the box may help to compensate a bit?
          Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
            Exactly, there is some kind of dept in the sound that really shines when your sound is at the edge of breaking up, also the "dirty" cleans are fantastic. And of course the tubular sound you get with a lead sound is something to die for, mostly single coils for me but some humbuckers can really sing too. Many Slash and Dave Murray solos or that Highway Star solo in Made in Japan or any YJM where my inspiration to realize I am really into the neck pickup sound.
            That is exactly the tone, and probably the examples I would have given, too. I think some people are aware of that sound, and some aren't. It sticks out like crazy to me, but I use the neck pickup almost all the time, so I think I am particularly sensitive.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post

Same here.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post

Interesting, maybe a warmer than usual pickup. I was listening yesterday to the Gravity Storm demos on 24 fret guitars. Even if it is not 100% there it sounds better than some other demos of other pickups.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                  Same here.
                  22 is certainly different to 24. I quite like the slightly more clucky tone i get in the middle of the typical SG. It's also useful to have a couple of options for tone. Sometimes the difference is just the right thing for that application.

Comment

Neck pickup in Martin Miller guitar sounds really good, a Duncan Hyperion according to Ibanez website. What is the closest SD production model to Hyperion neck pickup??

Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                      Neck pickup in Martin Miller guitar sounds really good, a Duncan Hyperion according to Ibanez website. What is the closest SD production model to Hyperion neck pickup??

AFAIK, the Hyperions have been stated to be somewhat related to the Pegasus/Sentient combo.

Comment

After listening a few more shredders I was surprised to find out Tonio Ruiz has my favorite lead neck tone from 24 frets guitars so far, I think his albums were recorded with neck humbuckers but his signature guitar has the best tone I have heard so far, and it is a freaking single coil. I really need to send the guy an e-mail

Who took my guitar?

Comment

I wonder if anybody has tried making a humbucker that shifts the magnetic field on an angle to sense the node location like a 22 fret located pickup would.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            AFAIK, the Hyperions have been stated to be somewhat related to the Pegasus/Sentient combo.
                            The hyperions are apparently based on the sentient and Pegasus pickups. They seem to be slightly hotter, probably to get more power for the split sounds.

Comment

Working...
                            X