Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the Fender S1 any realible?

Originally posted by MakerDP View Post
    I think you'll like it WAY better than a push-pull. I've always thought push-pulls were rather awkward to operate.
    They are even worse to operate on a Strat. Pretty much unusable to get to in a hurry.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

ill only use a push/pull pot on the 2nd tone control. i do like the push/push pots out there though!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        ill only use a push/pull pot on the 2nd tone control. i do like the push/push pots out there though!
        Yeah at its core the S1 is a push-push, just implemented a little more elegantly IMO. The S1 makes it easier to visually see what's currently selected.

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
          I would like to try a mod in my superstrat: 2 volume knobs ala LesPaul for clean and rhythm but then I would like to engage the S1 switch to bypass the volume controls for max volume/tone during lead sound. My concern is being this a push button I wonder if those S1 break too easily? For example I use the 5 way pickup selector whitch in my guitar that is like 10 years old, I use it a lot and there is no sing of problem at all, I would hate to have an S1 to break after a few years. I would have considered a toggle switch but there is no room left for it.
          Go with Push-PUSH pot type. It is inexpensive compared to the S1 , and avoids the ergonomic concerns some have mentioned about push-pull.

Part of the reason why the S1 is more expensive than a push-pull and push-push is that it is a 4 pole switch. You only need a 2 pole switch to do what you described. If you need help figuring out the wiring for the push-push, let me know and i will post a sketch.

Alpha Push Push Switch Pot A500K https://reverb.com/item/12539660-alp...ntent=12539660

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_042145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	5817635
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

For a non-strat, I agree, go with that $8.50 Alpha pot. For a strat, I still prefer the S1 even at 4x the price. But it certainly does work WAY better than a push-pull!

Comment

Thing is about every push/push pot I've used...is that they last about 3 years max before they start failing. So the extra $$ (and the elegance) for the S1 is worth it to me. I *wish* there would be development in more ergonomic and structurally sound parts for guitar.

Comment

As far as reliability of the S1 goes, I briefly owned two Strats this past year that featured S1 switches - both were previously owned guitars but in excellent condition. The S1 switch on one was occasionally acting up, and on the other guitar, it was regularly acting up.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                  As far as reliability of the S1 goes, I briefly owned two Strats this past year that featured S1 switches - both were previously owned guitars but in excellent condition. The S1 switch on one was occasionally acting up, and on the other guitar, it was regularly acting up.
                  Was that due to the switch itself or to poor soldering/cold solder joints?
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    Was that due to the switch itself or to poor soldering/cold solder joints?
                    The switch itself. The S1 was a stock/OEM feature on those particular Strat models..

Comment

The switch itself. The S1 was a stock/OEM feature on those particular Strat models..
                      I should clarify about the point of failure. It was more related to those funky knobs on these pots than the switch itself. The center piece of the knob was coming loose/had come loose on each guitar, and when that happened, the center piece of the knob would have rotated out of set position, and when it was like that, the switch could not be pushed. I found that i could not simply on-the-fly, rotate that piece back into 'set' postion. I would have to stop playing, take the guitar off the strap and lay it down, and finesse the center piece back and forth until it found its way back to 'set' position.

So, the switch still seemed good, but the switch temporarily became unusable when the knob acted up.
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 11-25-2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

$8 plus a little shipping (or less depending on what's broken).... problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by MakerDP View Post
                          In context of someone who already commited to buying and installing an S1 switch, yes, buying a replacement knob would resolve it. But for the same amount of money, one could purchase a push-push pot and replace the S1 with it, and not have to outlay money again. Of course, when a 2 pole switch would suffice for the wiring need.

For someone like the OP who has not yet decided on S1 or push-push, push-push is the obvious winner based on economics
                          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 11-25-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

In context of someone who already commited to buying and installing an S1 switch, yes, buying a replacement knob would resolve it. But for the same amount of money, one could purchase a push-push pot and replace the S1 with it, and not have to outlay money again. Of course, when a 2 pole switch would suffice for the wiring need.

For someone like the OP who has not yet decided on S1 or push-push, push-push is the obvious winner based on economics
                            Except when you have to replace it in a year, because you will. Every regular push/push switch has failed on me. Every Single One. The S1 is 10 years going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Except when you have to replace it in a year, because you will. Every regular push/push switch has failed on me. Every Single One. The S1 is 10 years going strong.
                              Interesting, thanks for the head's up. On my most recent project, i used push-push fir the 1st time instead of push-pull and i have not yet had a year's worth of time using them, to experience what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                [EDIT: disregard, i reread
                                through the OPs replied to this thread; OP has a Strat; push-pull is not ergonomical on a Strat; guess OP is limited to the S1].

In lite of that, i change my recommendation to the OP, to a Push-Pull. For his wiring need, only a 2 pole switch is needed. S1 is 4 pole.
                                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 11-26-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X