banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POD Into both Amp Front AND Effects Loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POD Into both Amp Front AND Effects Loop?

Good day,
    I have a Line 6 POD HD500X and I am curious if I can use part of the "digital chain" or whatever they call it in the display to go to the front of the amp (mainly for the simulated overdrive pedals) and the rest of the actual effects (delay, reverb, and etc) through the effects loop of my amp.

For a better visualization...

Guitar -> POD Simulated Overdrive -> Amp Input -> (Send) POD Simulated Effects (Return) -> Amp Poweramp

Is this even possible?

I don't really see how, but I was hoping someone knew.

Thanks,
    GreatOz

Re: POD Into both Amp Front AND Effects Loop?

You should be able to use the “FX Send” into the front of the amp, the “FX Return” from the amp’s loop send and the overall POD output into the amp’s return. The trick will be enabling the POD FX Loop and placing it in the virtual chain correctly.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I am pretty sure that can be done.

Distortion into the front and digital into the loop was a "thing" around that time. Pretty sure most Roland/Line 6 stuff are capable....
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yes, you can, that's how I used mine, but I've since upgraded to a HX Effects. Be careful setting up loop levels.

Try checking this for some ideas:

Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Thank you all. This will speed up my attempt on using the POD in this manner.
          Last edited by GreatOz; 09-02-2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Update:

I attempted to use the 4 Cable Method and it did work, but I ran into a strange problem.

The order to use a multi-effects pedal, such as a POD, in this manner is:
            Guitar -> POD guitar-in
            POD FX Send -> pedals you want before the amp's pre-amp -> Front of Amp ("guitar-in" on the amp)
            POD FX Return -> FX Send
            POD Output -> Amp FX Return

The way virtual chain is supposed to work is there is an "FX Loop" object on the POD, anything you want to go to the front of the amp goes before the "FX Loop", anything after, behind the "FX Loop".

Thus far, all of this works, sorta.
            The issue I am having is for things like the POD's delay and reverb. They're distorted if my amp or any extra pedals are distorted. I don't care for this sound at all.
            I like my delays and reverbs to go into the effects loops of the amp.

Is this normal behavior if the amp is distorted? It may be "normal" behavior, but as far I know, the whole point of using the POD or really any pedal in this manner is so that they bypass the front of the amp, and are therefore unaffected by the front of the amp.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why the POD is doing this?

Thanks,
            GreatOz

Comment

Working...
            X