Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1979 ARRCO JOSE MARSHALL

Default 1979 ARRCO JOSE MARSHALL

Default Re: 1979 ARRCO JOSE MARSHALL

Awesome. The most educational post I've ever seen here by far.

He has another vid which shows the features while playing:

Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Thumbs up Re: 1979 ARRCO JOSE MARSHALL

Well done. Very educational. Thanks for taking the time to make the video(s).
    "Or the time - ha, ha, ha, - when we woke up in a convent in Truro with our privates painted blue, but I'd have to make it all up." - John Peel

Seymour Duncans currently in use - Duncan Custom(b)/Jazz(n), P-Rails(b)/Vintage Stack Tele(n), Duncan Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), 59(b)/59(n) w/A4 mag, Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n), Mag Mic, Brobucker(b), P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n)

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Most interesting. I watched the whole thing.

Comments:

Only one added tube gain stage. So much less gain than say the Soldano/5150/Rectifier type circuit. I was wondering why add an extra tube for just this, but then I saw he retained the jumped channels flexibility and the stock plexi clean signal path. The Marshall Vintage Modern design in HDR mode does all the same things with a much cleaner design from an engineering perspective, and without a diode clip.

The pull switch on the master volume allows the tone stack to be either pre the diode clip or post the diode clip. Very innovative.

He explained how the diode clip cleans up well with rolling the guitar volume down or backing off the pick attack which is big plus compared to most amps with a lot of preamp distortion. The Marshall Vintage Modern does this feature well. The Jubilee does but not as well as the VM but it has the luxury of a clean channel.

I was surprised that the diode clip is set up for symmetrical clipping. The Marshall Jubilee design provides an asymmetrical clip, as does the extra preamp tubes in other designs such the Soldano/5150/Rectifier and the Marshall DSL...ect..

All in all most educational. This is not the only Jose mod design as I understand the history, but one among many.

Ultimate Tone Member

Lake Placid Blues the Marshall Vintage Modern can active the same tone the Jose modded Marshall(listed above)can.

Quote Originally Posted by pittbull View Post
    Lake Placid Blues the Marshall Vintage Modern can active the same tone the Jose modded Marshall(listed above)can.
    Huh?

I wouldn't consider a Marshall Vintage Modern & an original Jose' modded JMP to be on the same level.

Kinda like comparing a Ferrari & a Ford Pinto. Both cars but not the same.

LOL, What I was referring to was that the Vintage Modern in HDR had the extra tube gain stages in the preamp but still retained the jumped channel flexibility, and the stock signal paths in LDR, of a four holer.

I think Marshall made a mistake by using a post PI master volume in the VM. With a post PI master you mostly lose the functions of the negative feedback, until the amp is cranked up real loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    LOL, What I was referring to was that the Vintage Modern in HDR had the extra tube gain stages in the preamp but still retained the jumped channel flexibility, and the stock signal paths in LDR, of a four holer.

I think Marshall made a mistake by using a post PI master volume in the VM. With a post PI master you mostly lose the functions of the negative feedback, until the amp is cranked up real loud.
    There are about a dozen other differences as well.

double post

Ultimate Tone Member

What company or person can build exact copy of the Jose amp listed above

he literally went through how to make the amp in that video so id think any good tech should be able to do it

Quote Originally Posted by JMP/HBE View Post
    There are about a dozen other differences as well.
    Well there are a few, but the biggest difference is the diode clip.

Well there are a few, but the biggest difference is the diode clip.
    OMG, it uses diodes for clipping!?!?!? It sounds like crap!

j/k, echoing what the sentiment for the JCM900s and other amps with diode clipping when they came out. FWIW, I did use one of the early 900s and it sounded great.

Yeah I'm not pointing out the diode clip to denigrate the Jose amp, but that it is one reason the Jose sounds as does. And it sounds great. The diode clip design in the Jose provides a very good emulation of full power tube clipping including the dynamics at less than insane volume levels. It is a hard clip, but full power tube distortion is usually hard clip.

I found this commentary online by an engineer about emulating the properties of tube amps:

This is true for all famous vintage guitar amplifiers, such as Marshall Super Lead 100, Fender Tweed Bassman and Vox AC30. Power stages of these amps clip the signal hard and not soft - as commonly believed. The smooth tone comes from the topology (design) of the amplifier and not from the power tube distortion.

I didn't take it as a bad thing, just interesting that some of the same people that praise the Jose mods are some of the same people that scoffed at the diode clipping in the JCM900s. FWIW, I had a 50W SL-X and a High Gain Dual Reverb heads and really liked both of them. And yes, I realize the Jubilees had diode clipping as well, the first Marshalls to use it IIRC, but I guess they were acceptable since Slash used them.

did the slx have diode clipping? i thought it didnt for some reason

Tone Member

The problem with JCM900s isn't that they had diode clipping; the problem is, they sounded much worse than the JCM 800 2203/2204.

(In fairness, the same was also true of the Silver Jubilee and 2210. And is also true of most "modded Marshall"-style amps I've encountered that aren't in the SLO/5150/Recto school.)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    did the slx have diode clipping? i thought it didnt for some reason
    I believe you’re right. There were 3 900 versions. The SL-X was all tube and the other 2 used diodes

I think you are right, that was at least a decade and a half ago... Just looked up the schematic and the SL-X didn't use diodes, but it did have a TL072 opamp in the circuit. Really good sounding amps IMHO, of course, YMMV. I really liked the HGDR version with the clean channel too, which did use diodes. Tons of artists used them when they came out, John 5 still uses one.
    Last edited by devastone; 10-11-2019 at 07:20 AM.