The Wolfgang Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wolfgang Saga

Ernie Ball Music Man, Peavey, and EVH—and Eddie himself—all played major roles in the development of the Wolfgang. It's a tale of constant refinement.

Chip had worked with Seymour Duncan for pickups on the EVH Frankenstein replica, so that was the obvious first stop. "They were dialed in to the sound Ed was looking for at that time, and we spent probably three months testing variations of custom pickups from them. I would receive a set, load up a few guitars so we could test 'em, go up to 5150, Ed would plug in, and we'd try them out."

Chip is referring to Ed's studio complex, known as 5150. "We could only go about an hour at a time testing pickups, because you tend to lose your ears at that point. Everything starts to sound the same."

They got close with the Seymour sets, but not quite. Same thing with DiMarzio. Finally, an engineer at Fender started making samples, and his second set made the grade. "Working in-house at Fender on the pickups helped," Chip says, "because we had the ability to do everything real-time, stand over the engineer, work with him, get a better understanding of what's going on."

Re: The Wolfgang Saga

oh marketing...

Comment

The Wolfgang is a great design. Always wanted one.
      "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Seymour Duncan making protoytpes for the EVH Wolfgang?

Comment

Originally posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post
          Seymour Duncan making protoytpes for the EVH Wolfgang?
          If so, hopefully they'll be made available to non-Wolfgang owners.

No hate for the Wolfgang here. I love everything about the Wolfgang, except the Floyd. I played the lower end black satin one at GC and while it was basically in "off the wall at GC" condition, the neck felt awesome and the tone was pretty good out of an Orange Crush 60 despite some of the strings being out of tune.
          The Artist Formerly Known As Drunken Bowling

Comment

why didnt you tune it?

Comment

I’ve owned all 3 versions and the EBMM is easily the best. The PV’s were good too- though I just played the new HP2 and wasn’t impressed. The EVH/ Fender wolf is a different guitar entirely.
              18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Octopus View Post
                I’ve owned all 3 versions and the EBMM is easily the best. The PV’s were good too- though I just played the new HP2 and wasn’t impressed. The EVH/ Fender wolf is a different guitar entirely.
                why? To me, the bases are the same. maple neck, basswood body, maple top. To me, EBMM is highly overpriced and overrated. Never found one that plays as good as Fender's, even at the NAMM show.

Comment

I am curious, too. I loved the EBMM, but I'd never played the newer versions. I'd love to know the details of how different the EVH/Fender is, in sound and feel.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X