The Guitars you wished you never sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Guitars you wished you never sold

Wouldn't mind having my 1968 Tele Thinline back. Natural ash and a factory Bigsby. It was stolen and when I got it back it was messed up. No real luthiers back then, but now it could have been easily fixed. Traded it for a Gibson ES-150DCN and it had a lot of problems...also probably could have been fixed. Ahh, if I knew then what I know now.

I would like to have my 1975 Les Paul '55 Special Reissue back. Another guitar with fixable problems, but I really needed the money. Never found another one that pretty or that sounded as good.

There's a couple of amps I'd like to have back, like my '65 Band Master rig that was stolen. I also had to sell my '64 blonde tolexed Tremolux rig and a '65 Deluxe Reverb; I had to sell these for financial reasons. Loved them, the Tremolux was absolutely delicious, a great club-size amp. But I hung on to the Mesas I had, and that was the right choice.

But the guitar I miss most is a c. 1970's Gibson ES-330 longneck. Beautiful Iced Tea burst and just fantastic P-90 tone. Never seen another one like it. Bought it in 1973 from a junkie who need a fix, and gave him $175 and a referral to a clinic. Traded a couple years later it for Univox drum machine I had to have to gig as a single act back then. Drum machine helped pay the rent for several years and is worth about $25 today. The 330 would be worth about $5Gs. Ouch!

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Only one I miss was a MIJ double bound Tele from the early 90's. It was one of the first good guitars I got, and I stupidly traded it and a MIA strat for a new G&L.....oh well.

Comment

A Gibson MIII from the early 90's, a mid 80's Fender Contemporary Telecaster HH and a '97 Fender Strat Plus.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Had a Gibson Howard Roberts III I sold to fix a ex's transmission. Now, the car, the guitar, and the girl are long gone (thankfully, in 2 of those cases).
          Still miss the girl, huh?
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have always fallen in love with a guitar BEFORE I ever purchased it, so getting rid of any of them has been a traumatic experience.That being said...
            '58 Gibson 330,
            '68 Gibson LP Custom (black with gold trim, of course),
            '69 Gibson ES 345 TDC,
            '71 Ric bass (natural),

Not a guitar, but I really regret getting rid of my '65 Bandmaster black face with two cabs loaded with 2xJBL D120s each. Really great amp!
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              Still miss the girl, huh?
              Ha! No way, but strange thing- she showed up at a gig a few weeks ago (no real reason for her to be there), and stared at us all night. BTW, the new girl (for me) is the current singer/songwriter in the band.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ha! No way, but strange thing- she showed up at a gig a few weeks ago (no real reason for her to be there), and stared at us all night. BTW, the new girl (for me) is the current singer/songwriter in the band.
                Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
                  Well, neither of them are that type of person, but I ditched my ex 8 years ago, so I am guessing she still has issues!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, neither of them are that type of person, but I ditched my ex 8 years ago, so I am guessing she still has issues!
                    I can relate to that, I'm on a new relationship for 8 years now, but when I and my ex (we were together for 15 years) cross paths on social functions, she keeps acting weird, and I was conveyed the information that she still hasn't sorted things out for herself yet.

Tough break, my current wife makes me infinitely happier than I ever was. And this one enjoys me playing guitar, so....
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

My '08 Gibson LP Standard in desert burst. I had it for a short time and never really gave it a proper chance, thinking Les Pauls were supposed to be heavy. It sounded good, though.

Nine years later, my bad back would be very appreciative of the weight relief.
                      The Artist Formerly Known As Drunken Bowling

Comment

only a few i really miss but the all gold 1998 gibson r6 that was super light sticks out as the big one that i wish i had back. 8lbs on the nose, huge comfy neck and two p90's. the two pups were too imbalanced and i needed the money

Comment

The only one I really miss is #49 from the first run of Charvel San Dimas 25th Anniversary reissues. It played great and sounded just unreal; chime-y like a good ES-335. Not having a neck pickup bugged me at the time, but I think I could appreciate it for what it is now. I sold it to pay a bunch of bills, so there wasn't a huge amount of choice involved.

This wasn't mine, but they all looked like this:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	sandimas25th.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	5817059
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I’ve only sold 2 guitars... and for those two good riddance!
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The Guitars you wished you never sold

I miss a Tele Aerodyne. MIJ, looked awesome, played and sounded great. I had to sell it because I was moving.

More recently, and this is stupid, a Godin Session. For some reason it worked really well for me. I think it may have been the basswood body that is supposed to be “worse”. It was the first tile I tried a hybrid and loved it.

Last edited by Blille; 09-18-2019, 04:59 PM.

Comment

G&L Tribute Superhawk. A damn near perfect Superstrat. Played like butter, sounded like a sledgehammer and was as simple as a guitar can aspire to be.
                                It had a combination of things you don't find that often: Maple body, ebony fretboard, custom wound pickups, a thin neck that somehow didn't feel tiny or flimsy.

I'll buy another one eventually.

I've sold an Ibanez SZ, an Epiphone 339 Pro, a few Jacksons, a MIJ Ibanez Prestige but the G&L is the one that hurts the most to be honest.
                                Last edited by Diego; 09-18-2019, 06:45 PM.
                                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                                X