NGD! My wife is gonna kill me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! My wife is gonna kill me...

So this arrived yesterday at my office, but I had work in another town, so I just dropped by the office at the end of the day to pick it up. Always wanted to own an 80's-inspired HS SuperStrat, so here it is!

It's an ESP LTD MH-1000HS in Black Cherry Fade. It has a three-piece maple neck, neck-through construction, mahogany body wings and a carved quilted maple top. Fretboard has 24 jumbo frets, well finished, and it's a Macassar ebony board.

Hardware and electronics consist of an Original Floyd Rose 1000SE, with some of the screws and parts made out of stainless steel in order to avoid rust. Grover tuners on the body-matching headstock. Pickups are a Duncan Pegasus trembucker and a Hot Rails neck, wired to a three position blade switch and master volume and tone knobs, the latter being a push/pull pot to split both pickups.

Bought this online from a german store, along with a Rockboard guitar case and Schaller S-Locks. The store did a crap job on my order, since there was no tremolo bar on the box, and the Allen wrench set was incomplete, sice the top lock sized one was missing. Fortunately I had a spare Schaller trem bar, and I already own other Floyded guitars, so I have complete Allen wrench sets. I'll email the company complaining about this, and demanding they send me the missing stuff at no charge.

BTW, the ABS Rockboard case is way too large for the guitar. It's a standard case, but it has no pocket for a strap or trem bar, and the guitar moves when the case is carried. No biggie, will just use it to store, and swap cases when I take it out.

Never tried this store before, since I usually buy stuff from Thomann and never had any issues. Unfortunately the guitar is sold out, and they are not expecting a restock. So the store I bought it from had the best price (still higher than the one Thomann had, but still cheap than other stores, and the price Portuguese stores asked ridiculous prices or couldn't ever get it), so I took a chance. Never again!

On to the guitar: it plays like a dream, and even came setup for E standard with the stock 9/42 D'Addario string set, action just is a bit higher than I usually play, but my tech will take care of that. No cosmetic issues, well rounded frets, and the neck feels good, not as slim as an Ibanez, but more of Jackson profile.

Unplugged it's very resonant, and sustain is way above average, almost matching my Gibson Traditional LP.

The only thing I don't like about the guitar is the stock Duncans. Never played a Pegasus before, but it feels too sterile compared to the other Duncan I use. I guess I'm not into modern sounding pickups. Tight lows, but the low and high mds and treble are definitely not my thing. So it will be replaced with a zebra Custom 5 trembucker, which seems to be more to my liking.

The neck Hot Rails is nothing like the bridge version I already own on another guitar. Way too much output, and cleans are way too middy and to my ears it lacks highs. Still like it better than the Pegasus, though. Nevertheless, it will be replaced by a neck cream Lil 59.

All my guitars are stored in their cases inside some IKEA closets, and no more space is available. Will have to find some other way to store my pedalboards so this one will fit. Otherwise, my wife will have my head for Sunday dinner...

Some eye candy for you, sorry for being a crap photographer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_214145.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	5852775

Name:	20190914_214154.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	5852776

Name:	20190914_214201.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	5852777

Name:	20190914_214212.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	5852778

Name:	20190914_214225.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	5852779

Name:	20190914_214243.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	5852780

Name:	20190914_214249.jpg
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	5852781

Name:	20190914_214300.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	5852782
    Last edited by Synapsys; 09-16-2019, 08:57 PM.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Re: NGD! My wife is gonna kill me...

Nice. Surprised that you don't like the Pegasus. It sounds like my cup of beer. Not surprised about the Hot Rail in the neck. Does it sound better split? If I had one I would probably wire it parallel.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Nice. Surprised that you don't like the Pegasus. It sounds like my cup of beer. Not surprised about the Hot Rail in the neck. Does it sound better split? If I had one I would probably wire it
        To my ears the Pegasus sounds way too brittle on the mid/high frequencies, and although the bass is present but tight, I find it indeed lacking in the low mids. That's the reason I will swap it for a Cuatom 5, even with all the hype saying it has no mids, but the samples available on YouTube sound like a more defined version of the ceramic Custom. The Custom to me sounds absolutely perfect on the low mids, followed by the 59, both of which I already own on other mahogany bodied guitars, so I hope to get some of those characteristics on the Custom 5 for the new axe, but with the A5 magnet taming some of the highs of the Custom, which sometimes can be a tad aggressive.

The Hot Rails split sound to me like a high output single coil. I prefer softer sounds on tne neck, so even split it's no my cup of tea. It delivers with gain, but I'm going for a more versatile kind of sound, but with a slightly fuller frequency spectrum than a Cool Rails neck, similar amount of the CR gain, and a more vintage vibe, all of which I don't find on the Hot Rails neck. I love the bridge version, though ( I have on an ash body/maple neck and board ESP LTD Strat clone). I guess the HRn wasn't the best choice for my new axe, but I believe ESP was going for a really modern vibe with this one. For those looking for an ultra modern SuperStrat sound, the pickup choice may be perfect. But that's not my choice, hence my swap choices, even knowing the Custom 5 isn't exactly a vintage-voiced pickup.

BTW, I usually don't use split sounds, I prefer parallel wiring, using push/pull pots, so that I keep things noiseless.
        Last edited by Synapsys; 09-14-2019, 05:38 PM.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree that they were going for a modern sound. I would love it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Damn that is cool!

Congrats!!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, guys. Will chime in when the pickup swap is done, a few months later, since I'm planning on saving for these and some Basslines pickups and electronics for my bass, and don't want to deplete my savings. Until then, these will do.

Comment

Well, that is Actually mighty awesome! Congrats! Is that floyd the original hot rod? Or some custom stuff? Can't recall any version looking like that other than the hot rod, but it has SS screws, not aluminum...

Comment

Oh mate that is special. There's only one complaint from me and i hate to be that guy but i've just never clicked with the LTD logo. Everything else is just so flipping awesome it hurts to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                      Well, that is Actually mighty awesome! Congrats! Is that floyd the original hot rod? Or some custom stuff? Can't recall any version looking like that other than the hot rod, but it has SS screws, not aluminum...
                      Well spotted, I kinda mixed up the specs... it's indeed the Hot Rod with stainless steel screws! Just corrected my original post. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                        Oh mate that is special. There's only one complaint from me and i hate to be that guy but i've just never clicked with the LTD logo. Everything else is just so flipping awesome it hurts to look at.
                        You're not the only one... the funny thing is that,the font used on this logo is exactly the same as the original ESP one, but while it works on the latter, on the former it indeed renders is cheap. The same can be said about the scripted logo.

Anyway, I don't look at the logo while I'm playing, so it's not much on an issue. And a custom ESP with these specs will forever be out of my budget...

Comment

That's a classy axe. remember - if she likes the way it looks she will get over it.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Congrats, seems like a neatly built axe!

The custom is a great platform for modding. It takes a ceramic, alnico 2, alnico 3, alnico 5 and alnico 8 very well so you can tweak as much as your heart desires. I concur with how you feel about the pegasus and the hotrail. The Peg is great in some guitars but not all. The hotrail is just HOT HOT HOT and that's it, imho. I much prefer the jb jr in the neck. the lil59 is a bit hollow sounding to my ears, but that says nothing to be honest. I can see how that is exactly what one wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              That's a classy axe. remember - if she likes the way it looks she will get over it.
                              You never met my wife... but I think I'll do just fine!

Comment

Working...
                              X