Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD! My wife is gonna kill me...

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
    Congrats, seems like a neatly built axe!

The custom is a great platform for modding. It takes a ceramic, alnico 2, alnico 3, alnico 5 and alnico 8 very well so you can tweak as much as your heart desires. I concur with how you feel about the pegasus and the hotrail. The Peg is great in some guitars but not all. The hotrail is just HOT HOT HOT and that's it, imho. I much prefer the jb jr in the neck. the lil59 is a bit hollow sounding to my ears, but that says nothing to be honest. I can see how that is exactly what one wants.
    I tend to like scooped pickups in the neck, so your comment makes me feel I'm spot on. Probably the body wings will provide enough mids to my liking, but the HRn is all mids and output. Some may like what it does, but not me. As I've stated before, the bridge version is awesome.

The Custom 5 is to me the best bet, and I have a thing going so that all my guitars have different Duncan pickups, the exception being my Gibson LP Traditional, since unlike popular opinion, I just love the Classic 57's it came stock with, and my tech agrees.

So far, the Pegasus is the only Duncan pickup not doing it for me. All combos on my other guitars just emphasize their respective qualities, so that I have a sound palette that suits my every need.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Yeah, Pegasus seems specifically aimed at modern metal. Description says nice cleans, but it's kind of implied that that means occasional cleans in a mostly-high-gain environment. No doubt the tightness that makes it feel sterile would be great when playing with gobs of distortion.

Really pretty guitar! Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time picturing cream & zebra pickups looking good in that axe. I'd prefer black myself, I think, if it were mine.

Which it isn't.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
        Yeah, Pegasus seems specifically aimed at modern metal. Description says nice cleans, but it's kind of implied that that means occasional cleans in a mostly-high-gain environment. No doubt the tightness that makes it feel sterile would be great when playing with gobs of distortion.

Really pretty guitar! Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time picturing cream & zebra pickups looking good in that axe. I'd prefer black myself, I think, if it were mine.

Which it isn't.
        My sound is actually high gain based, but I still find the Pegaus way too shrill. And,this is coming from a guy who uses a Full Shred on a Jackson Dinky, but the Pegasus voicing is indeed voiced for modern high gain stuff, which is not what I do.

On the color scheme I'm going for, the zebra will offset the darkness of the guitar's rear end, and the cream for the neck will be similar, and stand out in the brighter area of the guitar, near the neck. Let's see how it will work out.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I thin you'll do fine with the Custom 5. I love the one that came in my Charvel Traditional Pro (HSS). I don't find it lacks mids or doesn't cut through at all & it's a very musical rich sounding pickup with lots of harmonic overtones. Not overly squishy but it has a nice spring to it that makes it feel really juicy (not sterile at all). Congrats on the new axe ..it's a beauty
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Beautiful!

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Very nice! Been lusting after an LTD in this price range for a while, not going to be able to afford it until next spring at the earliest.

Comment

A few euros more and you could've gotten an E-II, real ESP not the poor guy's version, made in Japan, SD/ EMGs and Gotoh hardware; and don't forget a hardshell case, although not on par with Ibanez's case it's still pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                  A few euros more and you could've gotten an E-II, real ESP not the poor guy's version, made in Japan, SD/ EMGs and Gotoh hardware; and don't forget a hardshell case, although not on par with Ibanez's case it's still pretty good.
                  No HS MH models on the E-II line up. So the choice was easy for me. And I'm not rich, the closest specced guitar on that line was around 800 Euros more than what I payed for this. And I hate hardshell cases, too heavy for my needs, and I don't play gigs that much.

As a matter of fact, the E-IIs I have tried were to me a small step up from their LTD Deluxe counterparts. Worth double? It's up to you.

The poor guys version fits my bill perfectly.

Comment

^Damn, that's a wide gap. Not surprised Indnesian made LTDs and Ibanez Premiums are popular in Europe.

Yeah if you don't care about image/ perception, get your money worth with the LTD. HS is my favorite setup. I have an Ibanez RG3 with HS config, reverse headstock, very cool guitar. Enjoy your LTD in good health!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                      ^Damn, that's a wide gap. Not surprised Indnesian made LTDs and Ibanez Premiums are popular in Europe.

Yeah if you don't care about image/ perception, get your money worth with the LTD. HS is my favorite setup. I have an Ibanez RG3 with HS config, reverse headstock, very cool guitar. Enjoy your LTD in good health!
                      Not only the price gap, but the intended use are major factors in how much should a player invest in a guitar. There are major professional acts that tour and record with LTDs. From my experience, the gap is due to minor tonal differences, the E-IIs being a little bit more defined, but nothing that can't be compensated by amp or effect settings.

Apart from lower end LTDs, the market over here in Portugal does well on the Deluxes or at least 400 model series. I owned an EC-1000 in amber sunburst that I've sold for the same price I bought it for (the money then went in a Gibson Les Paul Traditional). Of course ESPs are more expensive even second hand, since there are very few available, but they usually remains on sale for long periods of time.

Side note, my biggest mistake was selling an awesome sounding Ibanez RG527R LTD, since after I sold it I got the info that it was a limited edition model, of only 50 were ever mad. Years later I tried a Prestige, and found it lacklustre. One day I strarted jonesing for a natural finish SuperStrat and ordered a Premium limited edition RG870RWZ, MII. The stock pickups sucked (I hate DiMarzios and EMGs), but after swapping them for a PATB-1 set, it's even more awesome than the RG I had before.

Paid half the price of the Prestige, including the pickup swap. and I don't mind the soft case it came stock with.

My tech tells me I've got an eye for deals, regardless of brands. When I got my LTD ST-213 Ash (Strat clone) back from being modded, another client of his were at his workshop, joking about my guitar, saying it it looked good but wouldn't sound as his American Strat. My tech then asked me if his client, a known player over here, could play it, and I said yes. It was awesome as his jaw dropped, and then told my tech he would sell his American Strat and buy 5 LTDs and mod them all.

Will enjoy this one, definitely! Rock on!

Comment

Quick update: As you may remember, the german store did a crap job on my order: there was no tremolo bar on the box, and the Allen wrench set was incomplete, since the top lock sized one was missing. So I emailed the company complaining about this, and demanding they send me the missing stuff at no charge.

No answer, not even an automatic replay was sent to my complaint.

To my surprise, a package was deliverd tom my office today, and inside there were both the tromolo bar, the original Grover and D'Addario publicity that was supposed to came attached to the headstock, and a complete set of Allen keys!

Since the locking nut came with the Allen screw slightly loose, I guess someone got them loose before shipping, to avoid any damage to the guitar, and forgot to put the missing stuff inside the box.

No charge for this second package, and they kind of redeemed themselves of their fault, but I still won't be buying from them again.

Comment

Quick update, part II: Finally got the pickups installed, both bought new in the box, and the cream bobbins match perfectly.

Also, they are a huge improvement over the Pegasus Trembucker / Hot Rails neck set that came stock. These aren't matched for my playing style, others may enjoy them fully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	5818111

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	5818112

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	5818113

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                            Quick update, part II: Finally got the pickups installed, both bought new in the box, and the cream bobbins match perfectly.

Also, they are a huge improvement over the Pegasus Trembucker / Hot Rails neck set that came stock. These aren't matched for my playing style, others may enjoy them fully.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103080[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103081[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103082[/ATTACH]
                            Man you nailed it with the pickup color scheme!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sick guitar, man, and RIP.

Totally worth it though...

Comment

Originally posted by shupe13 View Post
                                Man you nailed it with the pickup color scheme!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
                                Thanks! Not only the stock set really wasn't my thing, but the satin finished Pegasus / glossy Hot Rails thing was kicking in my OCD.

Comment

Working...
                                X