banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring issue ....single conductor neck, 4 conductor bridge and a 5 way switch!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring issue ....single conductor neck, 4 conductor bridge and a 5 way switch!!!

Hello! I finally upgraded my rg670 ! I found a parallel axis patb3b and a 59 neck. The issue is that the 59 is a single conductor pickup. I am having issues hooking it up. I disconnected the middle pickup single coil to make it easier. I have the parallel axis hooked up correctly. But....how do I hook up the 59so I can have hum, both hum, and hum set up? Looked all over the net. Tons of variations .....except this one. Thanks!

Re: Wiring issue ....single conductor neck, 4 conductor bridge and a 5 way switch!!!

It’s a regular 5 way switch and not a super switch. Does anyone have a diagram of a regular switch and how to wire it?

Comment

Re: Wiring issue ....single conductor neck, 4 conductor bridge and a 5 way switch!!!

Wire the switch up like a tele.

You will have several selections that are the same, but given you have ditched the middle (and only want 3 selection options) unless you swap to a 3 way switch this is unavoidable.

And the 59 goes middle (hot) to switch and braid to ground, just the same way the 4 conductor does once you have taped off the red/white for series connection.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        Wire the switch up like a tele.

You will have several selections that are the same, but given you have ditched the middle (and only want 3 selection options) unless you swap to a 3 way switch this is unavoidable.

And the 59 goes middle (hot) to switch and braid to ground, just the same way the 4 conductor does once you have taped off the red/white for series connection.
        Do you know which lug to solder the 59’s hot lead to? Thats been the main problem . Thanks

Comment

There are 5 hot connections on a 5-way switch. You can jump the connections so that each pickup works accordingly through all selections, or you can make it so that the switch works more like a 3 way and only use the first three positions. If you have a digital multimeter, you can use it to sus out the connections. Just use it in continuity mode. Not knowing what switch you have I can't say what lugs to connect to. Typically they fall in order though. So the lugs in the center of the switch are either the center pickup or the common. Pics are worth a thousand words though.

Comment

Does your switch look like this?

Then these are the connections

The switch is labeled as 3 way, but the 3 way and 5 way switches look identical, only the electrical connections are different. There are not 5 hot connections on the 5 way as Ewizard said. As you can see the bottom left and top right lugs are the common lugs. If you connect the hot wire from the bridge pup to the top left lug, the hot lead from the neck pup to the next lug down, and the bottom left lug to the vol pot (or output jack) you will have the following (assuming the red + white wires are connected and taped off):

Switch position 1 = bridge (series)
            Switch position 2 = bridge (series) + neck (series), both pups in parallel with each other
            Switch position 3 = neck (series)
            Switch position 4 = blank
            Switch position 5 = blank

You can wire the switch so that you can have split bridge in 4 and split neck in 5, or split neck + split bridge in 5, or many other options.
            Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-17-2019, 02:25 PM.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              Does your switch look like this?

Then these are the connections

The switch is labeled as 3 way, but the 3 way and 5 way switches look identical, only the electrical connections are different. There are not 5 hot connections on the 5 way as Ewizard said. As you can see the bottom left and top right lugs are the common lugs. If you connect the hot wire from the bridge pup to the top left lug, the hot lead from the neck pup to the next lug down, and the bottom left lug to the vol pot (or output jack) you will have the following (assuming the red + white wires are connected and taped off):

Switch position 1 = bridge (series)
              Switch position 2 = bridge (series) + neck (series), both pups in parallel with each other
              Switch position 3 = neck (series)
              Switch position 4 = blank
              Switch position 5 = blank

You can wire the switch so that you can have split bridge in 4 and split neck in 5, or split neck + split bridge in 5, or many other options.
              The guitar is an ibanez so it’s a standard 5 way switch. It looks different that the picture above. The lugs are all in a line rather than two sides. But thanks for the info and schematics!

Comment

Same thing, but the lugs are in 1 line rather than 2.
                The pattern is there are 3 lugs connected in sequence to the common 4th lug x 2.

Comment

Thanks! I am gonna try this out and let you know!

Comment

Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	5817054

The switch will only work in the first 3 positions. Add the red jumper to eliminate "accidental" dead positions. That will give you:

1. Neck
                    2. Neck & bridge
                    3. Bridge
                    4. Bridge
                    5. Bridge

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100995[/ATTACH]

The switch will only work in the first 3 positions. Add the red jumper to eliminate "accidental" dead positions. That will give you:

1. Neck
                      2. Neck & bridge
                      3. Bridge
                      4. Bridge
                      5. Bridge
                      Wow! This is great thank you very much!!

Comment

Yur welcome.

Comment

Working...
                        X