X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD-- Korina Explorer

Just got delivered today
    Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer
    I'm sure some of you saw it listed in the classifieds here.
    Came with a JB/Jazz set, upgraded tuners, and a case. It has a few dents/dings but it plays and sounds awesome to me. I've had a Warmoth, bolt on "Explorer" for years, but I've been jonesing for one with a shorter scale and set neck. Really digging it so far.

The pickups were gold covered but have had the covers removed. I may reinstall them, partly because I don't like the silver slug next to the gold screw on the pickup, and partly because I think the covered would look better. But we'll see.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Re: NGD-- Korina Explorer

I had one of those in the natural finish. Great guitar. I put a set of Deathbuckers in it, then eventually sold it to a friend when I went through a cash short period.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I had one of those awhile back - great guitar by any metric.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Congrats! That looks killer. Don't those come stock with Grovers? What were they upgraded to?

Comment

The Epi's are veneer's not solid Korina.
          To be honest i don't even know what they're making them out of anymore.
          Could be anything.

Comment

They do have veneers front and back, but the cores are korina too, just multi-piece. I think the number of pieces can vary but usually you'll see visible seams on the edges.

The other main difference between these and the Gibson korinas is that the necks are mahogany. Gibsons are all korina including neck.

(EDIT: the Heritage Series korina Gibsons have long tenon necks too.)

Pretty darn nice guitars; I still have mine.
            Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 09-17-2019, 09:41 PM.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I likey! My only gripe is them being neck heavy, but with the right strap, can be alleviated. I slapped a set of Dragonfire Gold Screamers, a Gibson TP 6, and Sperzel styled locking tuners on mine. String 'er up with the Heavy Top EB's(green pack).
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0590.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	5817053
              Last edited by The Guitar; 09-17-2019, 09:50 PM. Reason: found pic!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                Congrats! That looks killer. Don't those come stock with Grovers? What were they upgraded to?
                Wilkinson
                "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Very nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Guitar View Post
                    I likey! My only gripe is them being neck heavy, but with the right strap, can be alleviated. I slapped a set of Dragonfire Gold Screamers, a Gibson TP 6, and Sperzel styled locking tuners on mine. String 'er up with the Heavy Top EB's(green pack).
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]100993[/ATTACH]
                    Moving the front strap button to the back of the heel (like a Gibson '76 RI) also cures the neck dive.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Cleaned it up, reinstalled the covers, and changed the strings. I like it better with the covers

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190921_162228.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	5817080

Comment

The covers do give it that classic look.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Enjoy your new guitar! Loudly!
                            Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                            Guitar to sound output:
                            Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Working...
                            X