banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD: ENGL Ironball! (this amp is insane!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: ENGL Ironball! (this amp is insane!)

After some guys recommended the ENGL Ironball to me I felt like I had to give this amp a chance.
    I'm a fan of ENGL amps and I love my Fireball 100 and 2x12 with UK V30's. They just make solid products. The amps tend to have great clean tones and obviously great rock and metal gain tones. Crunch for days basically!

I got mine b-stock from Thomann so the price wasn't too bad. It came in the original box with the manual etc. Basically as good as new!

The clean tones on this amp are really good and I love how you can get crunchy tones from the clean channel with the gain boost. The most important thing to me are the gain tones and this amp does not disappoint in that area! The distortion is tight, huge and filthy, just as I like my ENGL's! Because of the tightness and big bass response this amp is very well suited for lower tunings. It does not need a boost at all.

The amp is also pretty darn loud! The low-end holds together super well. I haven't tried this thing with a band but I imagine it will do quite well in that setting.

It's going to be fun to compare this amp to my Fireball and other lunchbox amps such as the mini Rectifier and EVH LBX. When you hold it in your hands it does feel like it was built very well though so the quality it top notch overall. Not surprising from this well known german brand!

Anyway, of course I had to make a demo, so here we go!

Who else owns an Ironball? How do you like it? In what setting do you usually use the amp? In the studio or also live?
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: NAD: ENGL Ironball! (this amp is insane!)

Love the tone in your vid!

Is the low-end bigger/tighter than the LBX? The problem I have with my LBX is the low-end doesn't hold up at high volumes. It's not loose, mind you, it's just not there, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      Love the tone in your vid!

Is the low-end bigger/tighter than the LBX? The problem I have with my LBX is the low-end doesn't hold up at high volumes. It's not loose, mind you, it's just not there, lol.
      Yes, I think the low-end definitely is a bit bigger than the LBX. When I plugged it into my 2x12 ENGL I felt immediately like this amp has a huge low-end. Nothing to worry about in that area imho!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

I've been dying to try this one out, actually. They pop up used quite often and are a lot more affordable than used Mesas.
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Friend of mine got one of these and he loves it. Says his Fireball is living in the rehearsal room now.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            Friend of mine got one of these and he loves it. Says his Fireball is living in the rehearsal room now.
            I can imagine why, the Ironball sounds huge! I will be working on a comparison soon, should be interesting!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

That sounds great! To me, ENGL has always been the sound of power metal, it just nails that tone. Makes me miss my E530 preamp ...
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                That sounds great! To me, ENGL has always been the sound of power metal, it just nails that tone. Makes me miss my E530 preamp ...
                I never tried one of those. How do they sound?

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
                  Yes, I think the low-end definitely is a bit bigger than the LBX. When I plugged it into my 2x12 ENGL I felt immediately like this amp has a huge low-end. Nothing to worry about in that area imho!
                  I need one, lol.

Love your vids, man. Can't wait to see what amp you get next.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
                    I never tried one of those. How do they sound?
                    I loved it! I had that and a Marshall EL34 100/100 feeding 2x12 cabinets. It was pretty insane lol. I mostly do studio work now so my most-used heads are 30W and 2W. I kept one 100 watter, though.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Did not own one but recorded a couple. Ironball, Fireball and Powerball are all cool and are roughly about the same thing: kicking major ass.
                      Wackor
                      Ørdøg
                      NecroPolo
                      Diabolus in Musica
                      SIDrip Alliance
                      Book of Shadows
                      RKH

Comment

Hey Guitarjon, ahve you tried the built-in attenuator? Does it work even with a mismatched cab?
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                          Hey Guitarjon, ahve you tried the built-in attenuator? Does it work even with a mismatched cab?
                          I have not, I just run it at full power always since I usually use a loadbox.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

I'm late to the party but CONGRATULATIONS! That amp looks and sounds like heaven in a box.
                            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Found one online today. For dirt cheap too. The white Ltd edition. Jumped on it. Should be here in a few days. Haven't had anything at home to play through since I sold my JR Terror back in July (ok, not entirely true, I do have Bias FX but I hate sitting in front of my computer to play). I can't wait!
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Working...
                              X