Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The El Diablo "neck" pup is born.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Keep in mind that Derek and MJ can make anyone the Silverbird or Hawkbucker, which both pair nicely with the El Diablo. $160 for either from the CS.
    They can also do a bottom plate swap on an SRB-1b like the OP for $20.00. The Custom Shop can make a Slug neck for anyone interested as well.
    Negative on the silverbird. I asked MJ about it but they can't anymore. Mj said that the construction is too complex and that the specs are not fully known. I wish. I got an old sh9 set and that set is amazing.

Comment

The Hawkbucker really does appear very close to this. The neck is slightly lower DCR, and the bridge is slightly higher. I bet either would fill in here nicely. The Fuglybucker is looking appealing also.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-15-2020, 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I gave my SH9's a whirl this weekend. They are really unique, tonally, and absolutely weird. They aren't hot at all (9k and 13k) but sound HUGE. SO...MUCH....TREBLE. I usually run my amp with the bright switch on, but these pickups just don't need it. And that's saying something cause they're in a solid black korina LP without maple top. They sound like a pissed-off strat/tele hybrid. it's got the twang of a tele, the power of a humbucker and the quack of a strat. split tones are also very, very usable. The 'feel' is very coarse, compared to the fuglybucker for example. The fugly is hot, sweet, syruppy, thick with a bit of crunch and leads are very liquid. The SH9 feels choppy, coarse. Like leads on a strat's bridge pickup would feel like. Fast runs don't flow as easily and when you do bends, the note stays super-clear, it doesn't 'howl' or 'bloom' like a JB, Alt8, PATB1 or 2 would do.

I feel that the SH9 is a pickup that should make a comeback in SD's lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
          Negative on the silverbird. I asked MJ about it but they can't anymore. Mj said that the construction is too complex and that the specs are not fully known. I wish. I got an old sh9 set and that set is amazing.
          Really? That post came directly to me from SD HQ. So I am thinking they will do it now.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Really? That post came directly to me from SD HQ. So I am thinking they will do it now.

cool. Consider me down for a set.

Comment

im sure they know the specs, seymour is notorious for taking notes on everything. there might be some other reason they didnt wanna make it, who knows

Comment

Working...
              X