• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The El Diablo "neck" pup is born.

SOUNDS NOW!
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I've got the friggin' cold/flu from hell. I thought it was going away, and then it reared its ugly head again.

I'm thinking hot toddies.

Comment

I think that the angle of the camera/phone has made look like its “off.” If you look at the pickup on the left, it looks like the shot is taken from right above the pickup. The one on the right...you can see the distance between holes getting smaller from left to right. But if you look closely..you’ll see that the screw ..or the “off” screw is centered compared to where those holes are at.

Never mind....I think it’s the beer I’m drinking.
        Last edited by checo; 09-27-2019, 11:12 PM.
        Good deals with Fusion1, Mig50, Meggo, hamerfan, Booldrose, JOLLY, Ignoramus, BELLEZA, BPSUL, bluesbend, DracoAran, brunigio, Ed Hunter, Andrew Lemprecht, Shauggy, atreidesheir, Killsocket, rawkabilly, DesertRat, slaveunit, Clapton is God, metlking, Heartfeltmusic2010, ErikH, SAVAGE DISTORTION, Punkkitty, Dankstar, lexx9, Mr 9finger, loversmoon, BachToRock, Kingdon Guitarworks, Chrismo, Ascension, IndySG, ex-250, guitarglynn, Mononoaware, chickencoop, daan, t1r12003, Demina, Trevorus and more.

Comment

Originally posted by JimiTheFoot View Post
          Artie's neck Diablo is the illegitimate child of the El Diablo. It's only 8.6k with an A5 mag, not the original 10.4k with an A2.

Maybe Artie should call it the El Basturdo neck pup.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I love the look. Awesomely killer.

Comment

Well I'm certainly eagerly anticipating the results/review of this killer pup.

Comment

Finally got her wired up this morning. Wow! Super sweet. Since someone brought the old "Virtual3rd Humbucker", (aka Slutbucker), thread back to life, so I decided to do that here. I'm glad I did. The middle sound is amazing. The neck pup kinda reminds me somewhat of the PATB-1 neck pup. It has that full frequency response, hifi-ish character, with maybe a teensy bit of high-end rolled off. Not surprising for a pup designed to be a bass pup. Smooth and warm, but not "boomy" at all. I should probably temper my enthusiasm a bit since I've only messed with it for about 30 minutes, but I'm lovin' this thang.

The "virtual" middle position is even better. The smoothness of one coil of the Ric bass pup, combined with the bite of one coil of the El Diablo bridge is sweet. It's kinda like the #4 notch position of a Strat, on Sensimilla. Oddly, wiring it up using the standard Duncan color codes, makes the two inner coils active, but remain hum-cancelling. The Ric bass pup must be internally "flipped."

The first time I installed the El Diablo, it was in a single-HB'er axe. Now, in my Blackjack, I can instantly compare it to another pup. It seems to have a touch of distortion built into the pup. It's just a slight shaping of the output waveform that sounds "dirty." Very subtle, but there.

I haven't tried these pups into a dirt pedal yet, but that's next. I'm really hoping to get some kind of sound sample up soon. If I can't do my 1st YT vid, then I'll at least do a Soundcloud thing. I'll really try to get this up as soon as I can get my recording setup . . . . uh, set up, so to speak. Film@11.

Artie

Edit: I almost forgot. To the good folks at Seymour Duncan: take your SRB-1b Ric bass pup. Mount it to a standard humbucker base, and sell it as the El Diablo MK-II neck pup. I promise, you'll have a winner, with off the shelf parts. My 2-cents worth.
                Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-17-2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Edit: I almost forgot. To the good folks at Seymour Duncan: take your SRB-1b Ric bass pup. Mount it to a standard humbucker base, and sell it as the El Diablo MK-II neck pup. I promise, you'll have a winner, with off the shelf parts. My 2-cents worth.
                  Sounds like a great idea to me.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That article makes a couple references to the CS El Diablo "set." But on their website, they only have a checkbox for "bridge." I wonder if the original El Diablo "neck" is still available?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      That article makes a couple references to the CS El Diablo "set." But on their website, they only have a checkbox for "bridge." I wonder if the original El Diablo "neck" is still available?
                      If they made one at some point, then they have specs for it. They made a lot more than what is shown on the website. Those are just sort of stock CS models.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Very cool. I wonder if you could get the SRB-1 on a standard HB baseplate as a shop floor custom.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          If they made one at some point, then they have specs for it. They made a lot more than what is shown on the website. Those are just sort of stock CS models.
                          Not a problem. I found a back door to making my own.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                            Very cool. I wonder if you could get the SRB-1 on a standard HB baseplate as a shop floor custom.
                            Yeah. Good question. I wonder if Duncan folks stop by the forum and see this.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                              Hmmm...interesting thought!

Comment

Ahem . . . and then again, for a teeny little nominal fee, I could probably make one for anyone who wants to send me their SRB-1B Ric bass pup.

I'm just saying. 'Til SD gets their ducks in a row.

BTW, I've been playing this thing, this morning, with my AMT Japanese Girl Wah. So friggin' sweet.

Comment

Working...
                                X