X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tune - Delilah

http://sclk.co/r/s8afrm

Constructive criticism welcome!
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: New tune - Delilah

Listening back today, I think that it ended up too bright. Think I'll try slightly boosting the bass in the 60 - 125 Hz range and slightly boosting the acoustic guitar in the 125 - 250 Hz range and remixing everything. There seems to be a hole in the lower mids that I've created somehow.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Cool song! I think that the bass in the intro is a little weird in that it doesn't follow the whole notes of the guitar. Otherwise, I liked the song!

Edit: I really like the slight crunch tone!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, you make a good point. When writing it I was worried that it would have been too much bass hanging around for too long following the whole notes, but now that it's all recorded I can hear how it sounds a little odd. Dammit. I don't want to record the bass part again. It took me too many damned tries just to get that take. :P

The electric stuff was my Epi Dot, I kinda feel like slight crunch is what it does best.

Comment

It's a nice melody & sounds pretty sweet to me. Killer round deep bass tone (wish I could get my bass to sound like that). Not really a huge slide fan but that actually works well as a melody line. While the timing is actually fine that part where there's a quick double slide at the beginning sounds a little rigid /choppy/awkward to me..like it could flow a bit better, or maybe the guitar tone is a bit edgy & that extra bass when you remix might smoothen it out & help with that...
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
            It's a nice melody & sounds pretty sweet to me. Killer round deep bass tone (wish I could get my bass to sound like that). Not really a huge slide fan but that actually works well as a melody line. While the timing is actually fine that part where there's a quick double slide at the beginning sounds a little rigid /choppy/awkward to me..like it could flow a bit better, or maybe the guitar tone is a bit edgy & that extra bass when you remix might smoothen it out & help with that...
            Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, I was having trouble switching between playing with the slide and playing with my fingers in a couple spots. That led to some awkward/cocked up timing in a couple spots. I did a couple dozen takes for each and eventually went with the one that seemed to suck the least.

Last night after slightly boosting the lower mids on the acoustic and dropping the lead guitar a touch in the mix it seemed a bit less nails on chalkboard-y (swear it sounded smoother in the room when I was playing - must've put the mic in a bad spot). I'll post an updated version tonight or tomorrow when I get it sounding a bit better.

It's funny you liked the bass tone . . . recording that was horrible for me on this song. I hadn't changed my bass strings in a couple years, and they were getting pretty worn so grabbed a new set at my music store . . . but when I went to string the bass I saw they were stainless steel, not the nickle ones I usually go with. Ugh. Super zingy and deep at the same time. They required a bunch of time re-EQing the bass amp just to get 'em usable. Even so, you can still hear some of the zingy finger noise. If you like that sound, put brand new stainless steel strings on a jazz bass, roll the tone back about 60%, neck volume full/bridge off, and then EQ a little extra bass and some extra upper mids at your amp. Hell, I can mail you the bass strings. Pulled those zingy mother****ers off yesterday and don't think they're going back on again.

Comment

Yeah..that's something that's happens with me all the time..stuff always sounds way better in the room lol. The moment I record it it's often all harsh & spiky..

Not saying this was really either of those things but it would benefit from a bit more roundness...

Regarding the bass strings... Thanks for the offer..but I've got a set of (I guess year old) strings on my bass & another set of D'addario nickel's in the cupboard. Also Zingy or not (did'nt really hear much zing myself) that's just way better than anything I can get out of my bass (..ie...barely audible mud basically). Bought a bass (Ibby SR Something) last year for the first time ever 'cause it was cheap....well I guess it's kind of more 'lower mid-range' price-wise but the dude was selling it cheap so... The thing is our bassist gets killer tones out of it when he comes over to learn a song/jam or w/e.. I just can't seem to do the same

Bass is not my thing (to play). I literally have no interest in playing it at all. Just have to do it 'cause I need to record my stuff and my stuff needs bass
              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Three things I've found with bass when it sounds muddy:

- Don't just EQ your bass amp for lows. It needs some mids (that don't argue with your guitars) or there's just boom with no definition around the notes being played.
                - If you're in standard tuning, use your EQ to cut everything below 40 Hz on your track. Sometimes you get weird boomy overtones that live down here.
                - If it still sounds muddy, try very slightly reducing (maybe 1 dB) frequencies in the 180 - 280 Hz range. Mud seems to live here (at least on my J-bass) but with just a little nudge everything will fit nicely.

I'm also a fan of compressing, at least a little bit . . . because my playing isn't as even as someone who knows what they're doing on the instrument. :P

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  I'm also a fan of compressing, at least a little bit . . . because my playing isn't as even as someone who knows what they're doing on the instrument. :P
                  VERY MUCH THIS, in my case!

Comment

Alright, I re-mixed (added a couple dB of low mids to the acoustic guitar, slightly tweaked levels on the bass/acoustic/leads, cut leads at 1 kHz by a dB). I think it's smoothed things out and got rid of most of the horrible fingers on chalkboard sound that was going on with the lead. ****, every time I mix something it sounds perfect . . . then I listen to it the next day and there's all sorts of issues with it. Drives me nuts.

Comment

That might be a sign that you are working too long on the mix. You should take a break every 30-40 minutes. References can also be a huge help. And of course, having a reliable monitoring setup.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                        That might be a sign that you are working too long on the mix. You should take a break every 30-40 minutes. References can also be a huge help. And of course, having a reliable monitoring setup.
                        Yep. All sound like good ideas. My issue is that I get excited when I finish recording and I want to stick it all together as quickly as possible. :P

Comment

I dig the slide stuff. nice work.

A few constructive comments.

The bass is a bit notey and punchy in the beginning and sits on the acoustic lines a bit. -I suggest trying some lines that sit back a little -maybe smooth and low or less notes. later in the song the sort of Mike Watt style active walking works just fine though.

The acoustic tone is too bridgey for my tastes - especially by itself -suggest more guitar body in the parts where it's featured, when it's just doing rhythm stuff the bridgey tones are fine though.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                            I dig the slide stuff. nice work.

A few constructive comments.

The bass is a bit notey and punchy in the beginning and sits on the acoustic lines a bit. -I suggest trying some lines that sit back a little -maybe smooth and low or less notes.
                            Agreed. I wasn't sure exactly how to write the beginning part with the bass. I'm finishing up the mixing on another tune at the moment where a friend who knows what he's doing on the instrument wrote and played the bass. Hopefully I'll get some pointers/ideas from his stuff. I've noticed he does hang on to notes much longer than I would in certain parts, and sits hammering away on single notes for much longer.

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                            The acoustic tone is too bridgey for my tastes - especially by itself -suggest more guitar body in the parts where it's featured, when it's just doing rhythm stuff the bridgey tones are fine though.
                            I had originally EQ'd the low mids of the acoustic down a fair bit because it was too much in the busier sections with the solo/bass/drums over top, but didn't think to treat the quieter sections to a different EQ. Also, that EQing was done during the misguded 'MOAR TREBBLE' phase of mixing . . . I'll give your suggestion a shot, thanks!
                            Last edited by GuitarStv; 09-25-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I had originally EQ'd the low mids of the acoustic down a fair bit because it was too much in the busier sections with the solo/bass/drums over top, but didn't think to treat the quieter sections to a different EQ. Also, that EQing was done during the misguded 'MOAR TREBBLE' phase of mixing . . . I'll give your suggestion a shot, thanks!
                              Yeah, I'd "open up" the body of the acoustic during the featured quieter parts and then trim out the low end on the busy rhythm parts -Most Acoustic guitar low end is pretty munch unusable in a larger band mix -especially dreadnaught shaped acoustics because they are designed to be boomy -so you were right to tighten it up in the busy/band parts -but definitely try and feature the body and low in subtle moments.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X