Anyone use eq pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use eq pedals?

Been looking at various solutions to make my dark sounding LP a bit brighter, chimier, more distinctive on a couple of my amps. Various vids do show ways an eq pedal can help - anyone use one and offer any thoughts?
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Re: Anyone use eq pedals?

I use a MXR 6 band and love it. Its my 2nd fave pedal on my board. Really opens up the tone on my guitar and can make my rig go from super bright to really dark and every where in between. Small adjustments can make big dofferences with it. I have it right after my OD pedal. The eq pedal is my stays on pedal.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial View Post
      Been looking at various solutions to make my dark sounding LP a bit brighter, chimier, more distinctive on a couple of my amps. Various vids do show ways an eq pedal can help - anyone use one and offer any thoughts?
      You didn't specify whether you want to do this for both clean or distortion tones? Or both? Can you clarify avout that?

I use a BOSS GE-7 EQ pedal in the FX loop *after* my amp's preamp. I boost the 6.4 Hz band about 2.5 decibels (i.e. midpoint btw the 0 decibel and next line-slash above 0). I also cut some of the mids and lows a bit but the details of that seem outside the scope of your original question.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Sorry to clarify, post distortion.
        'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

I have a Boss GE-7. I used to use it with my Marshall DSL1 which had tons of stuffy low mids and barely any sizzle on its own. I don't find my EVH or my Krank need it. It's somewhat noisy, so I keep it out of the loop if I can.

In front, it can be a cool boost to tighten up a flabby-sounding high-gain amp. Kinda noisy, though.

Honestly, if I can, I will avoid using it.

Comment

Get one, you multiply the amount of good sounds you can get. I just use a cheap behringer.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

I currently use a MXR silver 10 band EQ in a Marshall loop when I practise with the metal drummer.
              It is quite efficient !!!

But a Boss 7 bands can be enough.
              Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial View Post
                Sorry to clarify, post distortion.
                In my case that's why I put it in the loop.
                Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Boss GE-7. For years my main amp was an old JCM 800 that was modified with an FX loop, so I'd loop the GE-7 through there and it made a major difference. Didn't care for it as much putting it in front, it still sounded good but not as effective as having it in the loop.

Comment

Right now I'm using a 31 band Peavey rack mount in the loop of my Randall head.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, I use an EQ pedal.

Comment

For years I used a DOD FX-40b in front of my amp. It was always on when I was in an industrial/hardcore band and it was my solo boost in a more rock/punk band. Worked great either way.

Comment

Get one of these:

Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

First thing I would do is make sure you have good 500k pots in the guitar. I find that using EQs in an additive manner often adds noise, especially on the highs. Because of that, my frequency boosts are generally much more mild than my frequency cuts. I recently replaced my MXR 10 band with a Boss EQ200 and love having different settings available for sculpting my tones.

Comment

I have a Source Audio Programmable EQ that I just love to bits.
                              My search for an EQ has ended.
                              I have arrived.

Comment

Working...
                              X