Amp Reccomendations for Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Reccomendations for Metal

I need some reccomendations for preferably a guitar head if you know a really nice versitile combo I will listen as well. If you ate wondering what I currently have it is a Squier SP-10 which when it was designed I think they did not hace an amp in mind but target oractice instead. I don't even think "Trve Kvlt" black metal people would like it so about anything is an upgrade. If you suggest a head I was going to get a Harley Benton 2x12 to give ne sime extra spending money headwise. I would like something loud enough for a decent sized gig and also bedroom levels literally this time that is where I play and practice.

I am not turned off on solid states though I mean one of my heroes is Dimebag so I would be fine with one of those Randall heads, the Orange Crush head, or Boss Katana head. I would also like it to be versatile genre wise so ranging from thrash and doom, to sludge and power. Some Reccomendations tube wise I have Heart the 6505 plus is good, Peacey Windsor I have actually played before and is awesone, the Brent Hinds is good and easy to transport, the EVH Lunchbox ones i hear are good. The Silver Jubilee / DSL are classics. I also don't really want suggestions like the small Friedman's and Mesa's because even if you get one that has been beat to hell and low watt is almost if not $1000.00 which I honestly think is stupid they sound great but I don't think that much money is necessary. (Sorry Mesa fanboys I still love those amps though they are iconic in style and sound I give you that.)

Thank you gear heads

Re: Amp Reccomendations for Metal

I agree.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Perhaps a little more contex on that response my good sir

Comment

The Orange Terrors are pretty damn versatile depending on how you stage the input. I have the BH and it's great for heavy bluesy all the way to fat JCM800 and to even darker and heavier. I used it last year in several large venues with a 2x12 cab (with V30s) -stellar. If you are doing precision mathy technical metal, I think a solid state might be considered -but since you want to do doom and sludge -especially on big slow fat stuff, I'd go tube personally. I was really impressed with the new smaller Marshall heads but they are super pricey and you can get that sound with a Terror for way less money. Plus Orange is the one company out there supporting artists and rock and roll in general - so my dollars usually go their way when the functional need is met by them versus other companies. For overall value (cost versus performance), I 'd say the Boss Kantana is unbeatable and a sure bet.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have noticed so many people have been either turning to Orange amps or just using them as a work horse a lot these days. They really do seem to have every price point covered from mini practice lunch box to the classic rockerverb series. They even made a series on youtube about how much you can deatroy their products and they still work. They also seem to just have a lot of fun thinking of new ways to advertise their products.

Comment

Do you need it to play with a full band? I have an EVH LBX II which doesn't do full band volumes. It's easily loud enough, yeah, but the low-end almost disappears if you turn it up that loud.

If that is your priority, aim for a used 50W at least.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-23-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Super late to the party, but I love my Peavey 6505+. It sounds great for all of the genres you listed above. When I use mine I'm playing death/doom and post-rock/metal. You'll need some kind of effect pedal to help out the clean channel, though. Not sure what type of cleans you are looking for.

Comment

DSL 401???

Blackstar in the 40 watt range???

Add an extension cab when/if you want.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Buy my Katana and have all the bases covered.
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

A 2000W Headrush FRFR108 control monitor and any metal-enough preamp with cab sim (or a cab sim added). Things like Mooer LivePre, obviously Headrush, Line6, AMT Legendary preamps if you are a single-amp guy, Tech21 FlyRig v2 with XLR out to the PA and so on.
                    Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Desmond_G_Baggins View Post
                      I would also like it to be versatile genre wise so ranging from thrash and doom, to sludge and power.
                      Sounds like you need a Source Audio Programmable EQ and a decent high gain stomp. Once you have those two almost any amp will get you there even a Fender Twin. But you mentioned a Peavey Windsor, that would work with the aforementioned stomps and be affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        Sounds like you need a Source Audio Programmable EQ and a decent high gain stomp. Once you have those two almost any amp will get you there even a Fender Twin. But you mentioned a Peavey Windsor, that would work with the aforementioned stomps and be affordable.
                        Might I recommend a Keeley Twilight Zone for the stomp?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          Do you need it to play with a full band? I have an EVH LBX II which doesn't do full band volumes. It's easily loud enough, yeah, but the low-end almost disappears if you turn it up that loud.

If that is your priority, aim for a used 50W at least.
                          This. For heavier styles more watts help, even if you don't turn it up that much.

Comment

Man there's so many different ways you could go with this, just out of the ones you mentioned in your initial post there's some good options. If you're looking stay within a lower budget but get something that is loud, reliable, and has good tone I really like those Orange Crush 120 watt heads. The Boss Katana is also a solid choice if you're looking for something that's loud enough to gig with and is pretty versatile for different styles/genres. In terms of tube amps, I have owned Jet City amps and really liked those, you can get 50 watt models easily for under $500. I personally didn't care for the stock tubes so I swapped those out but that's a personal preference. And I think it'll need pedals to get it up to par for heavier thrash/death/doom riffing.
                            Please, if you do pick something out and if you wind up getting that Harley Benton 2x12 cab, I'd love to know what you think of that cabinet. I've seen some people say they really like the sound and quality of those even though they're inexpensive, and I've been considering getting one for a backup spare.

Comment

Working...
                            X