NPD Keeley Dark Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD Keeley Dark Side

A few weeks ago I made a post about how I wanted to add modulation to my board. I was planning on buying a new fuzz as well (Sovtek Big Muff Deluxe). So I was looking around for a bit. Then the new Tool album came out and I really like how Justin uses delay on bass as well as modulation. Since I use my board for both guitar and bass I decided I should try to find a delay/modulation pedal. But all I could find were delays with modulated repeats. So i was searching around on the internet and happened upon the the Keeley Dark Side. It has fuzz with some stuff for tone shaping, 4 kinds of modulation, and 4 head tape delay. I can't use the delay and mod together but that doesn't bother me. Found one used from Sam ash for $200.

Fuzz
    Apparently based off an op amp fuzz face. I really like what he did with the tone shaping. You get the normal big muff tone stack from what I can tell. Low pass all the way left high pass all the way right. Then there's a switch for the mid range. Flat-Full-Scoop. Scoop has the standard kind of Muff sound, flat is what it sounds like as far as eq, and full sounds like its boosting the mids to me. Like having a klon or TS after it as a clean boost. The full mode is also the tone I had in my head for the kind of fuzz I always wanted and its pretty dang quiet when not playing.

Modulation
    4 kinds of modulation. The toggle allows you to select either phase/univibe or flange/rotary. One of the knobs allows you to blend between the effects in whichever position you put the switch. I'm really digging the univibe right now.

Delay
    4 head tape delay. The knob with the rainbow dots allows you to select different patterns of heads for then tape delay for some cool rhythmic effects.

Conclusion
    This pedal is really awesome. It has a ton of functionality, way smaller than I thought it was gonna be, awesome effects, a tremendous fuzz. Overall I am very pleased with it. Its my first Keeley and I can definitely see why Robert has the reputation he does. On a side note sometimes by brain decides not to work and I didn't realise it was inspired by David Gilmore when I first saw it. I was looking for the functionality the Gilmore connection is just a happy little bonus for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Re: NPD Keeley Dark Side

That looks like one heck of a pedal! I never heard of it until now but I will be craving one for a while...

Comment

Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We are starting to see a lot more of these multi-effects that are really, really well done.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Univibe is the best effect ever . . . if this pedal does a good muff style fuzz and a good univibe sound, I'm sold. 'Vibe and phasing both sound great in front of an amp, so make sense to add to a pedal with a fuzz. Not sure about having flanging up there though.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Univibe is the best effect ever . . . if this pedal does a good muff style fuzz and a good univibe sound, I'm sold. 'Vibe and phasing both sound great in front of an amp, so make sense to add to a pedal with a fuzz. Not sure about having flanging up there though.
            I think the reason why flange is is because it seems really similar to a phaser.

This morning I did some fiddling around and this pedal is really inspiring. I've never had modulation in the almost 20 years of playing guitar I have. It just makes me play differently. I'm combining it with other effects like my POG and Morley Power Wah Fuzz. The Morley's fuzz is really unstable and if I have my vol knob turned up it gates really hard so Fuzz>octave>univibe is getting some cool synth like tones (especially on bass). The hiss from the morely is being modulated and making a slow pulsing vibe sound on the back of slow lines.

sigpic
            Dunlop Crybaby
            MXR Custom Comp
            GFS Twin Overdrive
            Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
            Blackstar HT-DISTX

Comment

a friend has this pedal and another has the monteray which is the jimi version compared to this being the gilmour version. both are just strait up damn good pedals that cover a lot of ground. i could easily get through a gig with either one. congrats on a great new toy!

Comment

Well... this looks more than a little awesome.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  Well... this looks more than a little awesome.
                  Yeah man. It seems like not a whole lot of people know about it on here. I only saw one post of someone owning one.

sigpic
                  Dunlop Crybaby
                  MXR Custom Comp
                  GFS Twin Overdrive
                  Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                  Blackstar HT-DISTX

Comment

Definitely on the lookout in my fuzz hunt.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      We are starting to see a lot more of these multi-effects that are really, really well done.
                      The Keeley ones are great, I really love my Mod Workstation!

Click image for larger version

Name:	66477273_10157532519342053_5934663909851004928_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	5817170

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                      X