Compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor?

I'm looking for a compressor pedal, something that is very uncolored for clean funk stuff and can occasionally be pumped up a bit to push an overdrive pedal. I'd prefer a buffered one, but am open to options.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Compressor?

I have the Duncan Vise Grip. You’ll love it.

Comment

This one is expensive but also the best one I've ever owned that was in a pedal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-09-25 16.53.56.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	5817117

but this Origin one that is a clone of a UA1176 rack mount studio compressor is crazy good studio grade in a pedal but way MORE expensive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-09-25 16.54.24.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	5817118
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        I have the Duncan Vise Grip. You’ll love it.
        What does it sound like compared to a boss cp1x? That's the pedal that has recently been catching my eye.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Check out the Xotic SP compressor.
          Very simple, 2 knobs, yet very
          effective. Love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            What does it sound like compared to a boss cp1x? That's the pedal that has recently been catching my eye.
            I don’t have any direct experience with the Boss pedal but I did just watch a video on it. Looks like a great pedal too. Then again Andy from pro guitar shops makes everything sound great.

One feature I like about the VG is the blend knob. You can dial in a fairly heavy amount of compression but then blend it with the dry signal so it’s not overwhelming and you still get the attack of an unaffected guitar.
            I mostly use it for my clean channel. I set it so there is enough compression so a hard whack of the strings doesn’t get super loud. And it adds just the right amount of sustain to make the channel “pop”. And it just so happens that my setting on the pedal is perfect for funky 16th note grooves.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Boss CP1x, though I've heard good things about it. For the last couple of years I've been using the SD Vise Grip pedal, which I've been very happy with. I started out using a Keeley and it was really good too, but the Vise Grip was easier to use, took up less space on my board and just seemed to work out better to my ears and taste. The Vise Grip also cost me nearly half as much $$. Here's a short video of the two pedals compared (not my video), if you're interested: https://youtu.be/nXzjkJhDgro

Comment

Originally posted by RevDoom73 View Post
                Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Boss CP1x, though I've heard good things about it. For the last couple of years I've been using the SD Vise Grip pedal, which I've been very happy with. I started out using a Keeley and it was really good too, but the Vise Grip was easier to use, took up less space on my board and just seemed to work out better to my ears and taste. The Vise Grip also cost me nearly half as much $$. Here's a short video of the two pedals compared (not my video), if you're interested: https://youtu.be/nXzjkJhDgro
                I have 4 Duncan pedals and every one of them is amazing.

Comment

Not against SD stuff. I've got an SD Deja Vu delay that's a pretty awesome delay pedal. I kinda want a pedal with a buffer that's earlier on in my signal chain though. Guess I could leave it on all the time and just crank the blend knob one way or the other when I need compression. Does it blend 100% (or pretty close) clean?

Comment

The Vise Grip is more transparent than the Boss, which is why I like it. It isn't so much an 'effect' except for the extreme settings. The blend knob is really the big deal here. The Boss always seemed way overbearing, and I could never find a balance that I liked.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      Not against SD stuff. I've got an SD Deja Vu delay that's a pretty awesome delay pedal. I kinda want a pedal with a buffer that's earlier on in my signal chain though. Guess I could leave it on all the time and just crank the blend knob one way or the other when I need compression. Does it blend 100% (or pretty close) clean?
                      I have buffers in other pedals elsewhere in my signal chain so I never gave much thought to a buffer in the VG. With my current rig setup I don’t get any tone suck from anywhere.
                      Most tuners have a decent enough buffer so if you have that first in the chain, might be all you need?

Comment

My main compressor for guitar is a Bogner Harlow. Transparent, as much squish as you want, and a killer boost as well. Neve transformer, great build quality.
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hey, GuitarStv since you want to use the compressor to give the amp an extra "push", I would consider trying out more than just an average compressor, as the makeup gain stage in most average compressor pedals are noisy once you exceed unity gain through the unit. because in order to meet a competitive price point, they are not typically designed to exceed unity cleanly in the output stage -as the noise floor once expanded in the output is subject to the quality of the circuit in the compression stage -as the noise floor will get exaggerated upon expansion in the lower quality circuit designs.

High quality ones are clean on the output even when dialed to maximum output on the makeup stage, Cheaper sub $100 ones typically add hiss once exceeding unity (or even before on the cheap units), even the Boss CS units that are mid $150s are noisy trying to add or makeup more than +6 in gain back to unity (relative to how much you knocked it down to begin with)

An "expensive" compressor can squash the dynamic range like a bug and then makeup back completely to unity level OR MORESO without adding noise. -that's what you pay for when you spend 150-250 bucks on one plus EQ and attack control features. My Greer can be used as a subtle or massive clean boost with or without the compressor engaged -but you have to pay for it.

But for most people, knocking the signal down 3 to 6db and blending 50/50 and approaching unity on the output stage is all they are looking for

-so the cheaper and mid line units work perfectly for them -and maybe for you too.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                            Hey, GuitarStv since you want to use the compressor to give the amp an extra "push", I would consider trying out more than just an average compressor, as the makeup gain stage in most average compressor pedals are noisy once you exceed unity gain through the unit. because in order to meet a competitive price point, they are not typically designed to exceed unity cleanly in the output stage -as the noise floor once expanded in the output is subject to the quality of the circuit in the compression stage -as the noise floor will get exaggerated upon expansion in the lower quality circuit designs.

High quality ones are clean on the output even when dialed to maximum output on the makeup stage, Cheaper sub $100 ones typically add hiss once exceeding unity (or even before on the cheap units), even the Boss CS units that are mid $150s are noisy trying to add or makeup more than +6 in gain back to unity (relative to how much you knocked it down to begin with)

An "expensive" compressor can squash the dynamic range like a bug and then makeup back completely to unity level OR MORESO without adding noise. -that's what you pay for when you spend 150-250 bucks on one plus EQ and attack control features. My Greer can be used as a subtle or massive clean boost with or without the compressor engaged -but you have to pay for it.

But for most people, knocking the signal down 3 to 6db and blending 50/50 and approaching unity on the output stage is all they are looking for

-so the cheaper and mid line units work perfectly for them -and maybe for you too.
                            Good point(s).
                            I actually use the RC boost to hit my clean channel ever so slightly. Low or no gain, slightly above unity and then eq to taste. It doesn’t cause any overdrive like this but if I wanted some I’d just have to raise the gain a little.

And I use the Friedman Buxom Boost to hit my dirty channel. (Phenomenal Boost btw)

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Yeah, that's the main problem that I have with my current compressor. It sounds fine for some light to medium compression, and has an attack knob that lets me keep the signal from being too squished . . . . but when I'm using it as a boost it hisses. I had read that the new Boss CP1x was extremely quiet (it also does some cool multi-band compression on a guitar signal that seems to preserve the tone of the guitar better than other compressors in the demos I've seen) which is why I was interested in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X