Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compressor?

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Yeah, that's the main problem that I have with my current compressor. It sounds fine for some light to medium compression, and has an attack knob that lets me keep the signal from being too squished . . . . but when I'm using it as a boost it hisses. I had read that the new Boss CP1x was extremely quiet (it also does some cool multi-band compression on a guitar signal that seems to preserve the tone of the guitar better than other compressors in the demos I've seen) which is why I was interested in it.
    I haven't tried the new Boss CP, but I bet it's very good -especially with accurate metering and enhanced headroom -the original CS line it's based on was the standard for a good compressor for 3 decades, and Boss continues to dial up their lineup to compete with the boutique lines that address some of the price point limitations of the traditional Boss pedals which were always good and innovative, but primarily simplified to keep their pedals at an attractive price point -especially before this boutique pedal decade where spending more than $200-300 on pedal is normal.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Keeley makes some excellent compressors.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a compressor that has a blend knob... can blend straight signal with compressed signal for "infinite" shades of compression.

Wampler EGO Compressor is one for example

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          Get a compressor that has a blend knob... can blend straight signal with compressed signal for "infinite" shades of compression.

Wampler EGO Compressor is one for example
          I love the idea of a blend knob. My Vise Grip and BYOC 5 Knob Compressor has this.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Why do you need to use the comp as a compressor AND a boost? Just get two pedals...
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Why do you need to use the comp as a compressor AND a boost? Just get two pedals...
              Mostly space reasons.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                Mostly space reasons.
                I would argue that a really good quality compressor output stage is of equal or greater quality as clean boost that an average OD as a clean boost -because it HAS TO BE in order to make up the gain without adding to the S/N ratio. So if space is a concern, then I'd say it's a good call to want both in one. If space isn't an issue, Ace has a point.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have pretty limited experience with compressors, I’ve had the Keeley 4-knob for over a decade and more recently a Wampler Ego. Both are based on Dyna Comp style compression, so pretty in-your-face. Blend helps pull it back a little, but I use them for a compressed clean tone. They both sound great for that.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have used a comp as a boost on many occasions. But I don't use it for both things at the same time generally. If I were playing out with said space limitation, I'd get a bigger board. If at home...space is not an issue...
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I haven't found one I like more than a Philosopher's tone. The full sized one has grit and blend knobs that give you more control.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                        I haven't found one I like more than a Philosopher's tone. The full sized one has grit and blend knobs that give you more control.
                        I have a Philosopher's Tone as well; great pedal! It's my go-to when tracking bass guitar.
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                          I have a Philosopher's Tone as well; great pedal! It's my go-to when tracking bass guitar.
                          Never tried that, I may have to give that a shot next time

Comment

I bought Donner Compressor Pedal mainly for the lower octaves, on both violin and guitar. My little practice amp couldn't quite handle the bass, but in band practice with a big PA the sounds are amazing, violin sounded like it was accompanied by cello and double bass - so of course, I tried the Game of Thrones theme tune... like a full orchestra! There are many more options on the internet. you can see a few in the pics, I have 4 Donner pedals on my pedal board and have another now. Even my Pedalboard and power supply are Donner, I think the company is just awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	712HonO+mgL.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	6191908Click image for larger version

Name:	71s8h-3fu8L.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	6191909

Comment

I’ve always found the simple Boss CS-2 to be pretty no-frills comp, good at getting a transparent sound from.

Cracks me up so much remembering when this guy told me that they’re for “compensating for uneven playing” like there’s no legitimate practical artistic use for them, that any AE who puts a compressor on a channel strip is “cheating” and I could magically transform a sub-optimal guitar track by compressing it to hell… no-one will ever know!

IME, the opposite is true because if that compressor is heavy enough to drastically level out velocity so much, so much as a string quietly ringing out is going to be even more obvious.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I use a Keeley Limiting Amplifier because I can control the ratio, threshold and make up gain like a studio unit. But the OP mentioned 'snap' and IME to retain snap, you need a compressor that has either a knee control or attack control to allow a bit of the initial signal through before the comp kicks in. Parallel or blend compression would also work for this.
                                Last edited by beaubrummels; 08-22-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X