Pedal boards... again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedal boards... again...

Mark Letteiri (sp?) from Snarky Puppy mounted his pedals on a cutting board. He said the only downside was his wife got upset for swiping her cutting board, so he had to go to Target and buy her another.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Simple plywood board with a bit of crinkle paint and some velcro.
      A 7 place power source resides under the second tier.
      I've made a number of these over the years in various sizes.
      This size seem to be the most versatile for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        You can put together a good board for playing outside the house with 1-spots. I've been using 1-spots for more than fifteen years now, and am currently powering seven pedals with two of them. No noise issues from my board. Quick and easy setup when gigging. I can run all the pedals from a single 1-spot in a pinch if a problem was to arise.

What issues specifically have you run into with 1-spots while playing out? I've heard of certain poorly designed pedals introducing noise into a daisy chain . . . if you've got multiple extremely high current draw pedals and didn't figure out your power requirements you might run into issues too. Aside from that what is there?
        Sorry, I mashed a bunch of thoughts into one short post.

One-Spots are great products, what I meant by “good until you’re not” is you’ll be going along fine until you add the wrong pedal (high draw, digital ground, etc.) and all of a sudden it doesn’t work for you anymore. I wouldn’t say poorly designed, basically all the digital ground pedals are going to put noise on the link. I used to use a daisy chain for my Line 6 Echo Park, Verbzilla and whatever overdrive I was using. I thought there was “no noise” until I actually used isolated power for them. Regarding home/playing out, I prefer a single, quick power connection (which can be an extension cord to a One-Spot) as opposed to having to run a One-Spot over to whatever power strip is laying around. Having it zip tied to an extension cord and to a board seems much more reliable.

Plywood boards are great, just need something to secure everything to (including power and cables).
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Every time I build a board I have this hard-to-suppress urge to throw it all in a rack case with a GCX so I don't have to tap dance anymore. I thought I'd finally beaten that urge with the switcher on my current board, but low and behold here we are.

I'm currently working with this:

Signal chain is:
          Guitar -> vibe -> wah -> switcher (clean / dirty / tuner loops)
          Clean: MIJ CS-3 -> GT-500 -> CE-2 -> FRV-1 -> TR-2
          Dirty: Tumnus -> UFO (fuzz / octave) -> Micro Flanger -> MIJ DD-3 (~300ms)
          Tuner: Korg Pitchblack Portable

It's really flexible and I'm able to pull the overwhelming majority of tones I'd use from it. However there are a few things it doesn't do easily (like Flanged clean) and there's still a little tap dancing.

If I were to rack it, I'd put the CS-3, Tumnus, and UFO in GCX loops and add a Line6 M9 between the CS-3 and Tumnus mostly for pre-gain modulation and maybe tape delay. Since the Jubilee loop plays nice with rack processors, I'm thinking a Rocktron Replifex and Blackface Intellifex for pretty much any other effect I'd want. Top it off with a final GCX loop for channel switching. I could put the wah and tuner on the board with the Ground Control Pro, or I could use the wah in the M9 via expression, though I'm leaning toward the former.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Pedal boards... again...

I just put my first pedal board together. [emoji3526] I had been a bass players in bands for the past 40 years. In my current original band I’m the guitarist.

So I hadn’t a need for a lot of pedals. I still don’t use that many, but it was a pain to plug everything in every time.

These are all pedals that are used for parts of songs, especially on solos. The rest of my effects like delay, modulation, reverb, etc., are in my amp (Marshall Code 100)

The power supply and volume pedal didn’t fit on the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last night my pedal board didn't work all the way through, after turning it on. It was a power jack on a pedal.

In the time it took to lay my pedal board out, turn it on, diagnose the issue and fix it, I would have still been connecting up the individual pedals and wires -In the "no Pedal board scenario" wouldn't have even identified the issue with the pedal yet.

Pedal boards are a huge times saver for transport and gigging issues. -So thats their real value to me.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I'm not really a pedal player. Other than a tuner I generally have zero or one other pedal when I play live (which is almost never these days). But I totally agree with NegativeEase on this one: more than two pedals should probably be on a board and more than three or four it's kinda required.
                The problems come when someone crams too many pedals too close together.

Comment

This is the board I use on a typical gig situation. All overdrive pedals are subject to change, I tend to swap them out fairly frequently. It has been remarkably dependable.

"Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    You can put together a good board for playing outside the house with 1-spots. I've been using 1-spots for more than fifteen years now, and am currently powering seven pedals with two of them. No noise issues from my board. Quick and easy setup when gigging. I can run all the pedals from a single 1-spot in a pinch if a problem was to arise.

What issues specifically have you run into with 1-spots while playing out? I've heard of certain poorly designed pedals introducing noise into a daisy chain . . . if you've got multiple extremely high current draw pedals and didn't figure out your power requirements you might run into issues too. Aside from that what is there?
                    Well, you never know until you it happens.

I've done some setups with daisy chaining (as well as all sorts of audio looping stuff) and generally it seems 50/50 chance of working fine or introducing noise, or other issues. Currently my mini board uses daisy chain and does have significant hiss. It goes away if I remove either one of two pedals that apparently don't like each other.

Same as buffers. More you have linked, more chance of issues caused by them.
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      one is battery powered and has sunface, dirty little secret mkii, and vapor trail.
                      I like that one !
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

I do not have a pedal board. But I use lots of pedals. Anyone else ?

The thing is although I often use certain stompboxes (TS808, Vapor Trail, Phase 90...) I do not want to have a fixed setup. I try different things all the time.

(And I walk to the practise place with one (or two) guitars, a bag of pedals and cables. I do not want to carry more stuff.)
                        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post

The thing is although I often use certain stompboxes (TS808, Vapor Trail, Phase 90...) I do not want to have a fixed setup. I try different things all the time.

(And I walk to the practise place with one (or two) guitars, a bag of pedals and cables. I do not want to carry more stuff.)
                          IMO, that’s the beauty of a good pedalboard. It should be modular so swapping pedals is fast and easy. My Pedaltrain Mini, wah, power cable and guitar cables go in the soft case and it’s quick and easy to setup. Having the TRex allows me to use different voltages if needed (9VDV, 12VDC, 18VDC, even 9V AC) and I still think minimizing cable insertion and bending makes patch cables last longer. However, if that kind of setup would stress you out when setting up, playing or troubleshooting, you need to use what best for you.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post

Wouldn't carrying and connecting single board be much easier than carrying bunch pedals and reconnecting everything everytime?

I used to do that and that's why I built my board. I have 9 pedals (I think) on it, and only use 4 of them with any regularity. It's just much easier not having to wire stuff again if I'd like to try delay for instance for one piece.
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Meh.. if you're needing tonal variation live, why not just do a rackmount rig instead of running your signal through a bazillion stomps?

ADA MP-1, Alesis Quadraverb, ADA B200S all in a 4 slot rack case

2x Seymour Duncan 1x12s (stereo)

...and a Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M that sits on top of rack case

ADA MC-1 MIDI controller to switch tones

No tone suck, no funky impedances to deal with, no goofy tap dancing.
                              Last edited by LLL; 10-16-2019, 11:30 PM.

Comment

that sounds like a lot to carry. i can do my typical loadin in one trip. two guitars (or one if im super lazy and it has fresh strings), 1x12 combo, bag of stuff, and pedal board case.

Comment

Working...
                                X