Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cables

Anybody make their own cables?

If so, what brand do you like for cable and plugs?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Cables

Patch or Instrument Lead?

For patch cables I’ve got a bunch of Mogami 2319, Switchcraft 380, 226 and 228 jacks waiting to be soldered to length.

In the meantime, my Hosas, George L, Lava and Guitar Cables are making do.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Where i live its hard to order specific cables easily like canare or mogami in a 100mt roll bulk format. So i bought the classic series planet waves cable 15ft long & cut it into various leng5hs for patch cables. I have neutrik & amphenol plugs, i got lots of of straight & 90° angled plugs of amphenol from element14 & use them mostly. The neutrik ones are good too but a little more pricey.

Comment

Get decent parts, cheap plugs never seem to hold up well for me, while quality plugs and cable last almost forever.

Comment

I make all my cables in my studio and most stage cables.

I use Neutrik and Switchcraft for Analog Audio, EDAC for Multipin Analog Audio, ADC for punchdown patch, E3 ELco for Patch, and some Canare and Amphenol for Wordclock/Timecode, and use TE for digital/IP modular audio applications, Lemo for digital/SMPTE stuff.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I love the old Bill Lawrence solderless cables that are so much better than George Ls. Other than that, I am fine with my regular Pig Hogs.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Solderless makes me really uneasy.

Currently using mostly PW Classics, but I’ve had two of them fail. The 6” right angle patch cables are still going strong, but one each of 5’ and 10’ has gone bad. This is just playing around the house. I’m looking at getting out more, so I’d like to get into something a little more rugged. I have a 20 year old braided DiMarzio that’s never had an issue. Should probably go with whatever those are made of.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Whatever you get, take care of them and they’ll last longer. I’ve learned that the hard way. Looks roadie wraps and pulling by the connector, not the cable helps...
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Solderless makes me uneasy too, unless they were those old Bill Lawrence ones. They never come apart ever, when I have always tighten and re-connect the George Ls.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like the braided cables for instrument lines
                    They dont tangle as bad

I had a bunch of
                    George Ls for patches and instruments

The 20ft Ls were just a tangle mess

The shorter patch length are awesome
                    They are all clear and bright

George Ls are the benchmark I judge all cables against
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've had no issues with Planet Waves solderless stuff over the past ten years that I've been using them. Actually, I have now replaced all of my soldered cables with PW soldered stuff over time as the soldered ones failed. YMMV though. I'ts always a good idea to keep extra cables in you gig bag.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                      X