Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Amp Channels and multiple pedals

Good day,

I (think) I'm looking for a fairly small pedal loop and channel switcher, something like a Boss ES-5, but not quite that big or expensive.

Basically, I want to switch amp channels and take out/put all my drives into the loop at the same time.

When I switch to the clean channel, I only want a compressor and an EQ pedal; reverb and delay are in the effects loop, so they don't matter. When I switch to the drive channel, I want to put all my drives back in, but take the EQ out and have the compressor still at the front.

For a better illustration...
    Clean Channel
    Compressor -> EQ -> Amp Front

Overdrive Channel
    Compressor -> Overdrive(s) -> Amp Front

But, I want the amp channel to switch as well as change the loops.

Any ideas for a fairly inexpensive switcher that does this? I'm half a mind to just get the ES-5 since that will work, it's just more money than I want to spend for the moment.

For reference, my amp channel switch uses a stereo 1/4" instrument cable, one for the amp channel, the other for the channel voice.

Thanks,
    GreatOz
    Last edited by GreatOz; 10-04-2019, 04:00 PM.

Re: Switching Amp Channels and multiple pedals

Not sure - but the low tech version is place the switches very close to each other and step on both.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I think something like this will do the job, but it's only two loops.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
        I think something like this will do the job, but it's only two loops.
        I have one of those, and use it with a Marshall Jubilee. You could use it to switch amp channel, but the mode switching wouldn't work. If you want the compressor always-on, leave it in front of the switcher. Otherwise put all of your ODs in one loop and put your compressor and EQ in the other loop. That way you'll have ODs on the overdrive channel and compressor / EQ on the clean.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

JOYO PXL series is cheaper and still as capable. (PXL Pro, PXL Live) I always debate between that and the ES-5.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Can the JOYO PXL switch the channel on the amp as well? I don't think the Hotone Kommander or the Cybery can do this.

Pretty sure the answer is "yes".

I'm not impressed with the MIDI comments from the reviews I have been reading about it. I highly doubt I'll use the MIDI feature, but I'm sure that is frustrating for anyone who would.
            Last edited by GreatOz; 10-04-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Can the JOYO PXL switch the channel on the amp as well? I don't think the Hotone Kommander or the Cybery can do this.

Pretty sure the answer is "yes".

I'm not impressed with the MIDI comments from the reviews I have been reading about it. I highly doubt I'll use the MIDI feature, but I'm sure that is frustrating for anyone who would.
              Yes it can, they are called “Triggers”. Pro has 4, the Live has 2 and MIDI. If you have any plans for anything MIDI capable or might want to do complex switching, the ES-5 is worth it. For simple switching and maybe a bit of MIDI, the JOYO will work.
              Last edited by PFDarkside; 10-04-2019, 07:00 PM.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Can triggers be used with the other loop switches (switching an amp channel and a loop simultaneously) and can other effects such as delay and reverb go into the amp's effects loop while having different effects like distortion and compressors go into the amp front? I also think the answer is "yes" to both, just want confirmation that this thing will do exactly what I need it to do.

I know the ES-5 will work, I just think it is overkill for what I want to do on top of taking up a lot of space; I'm not planning on using MIDI. The PXL is much smaller.

Comment

Think of a preset as a programmed status of every item on the switcher, loop 1-8 & trigger 1-4. There are two groups of loops, 1-4 and 5-8. All 8 can be in front of the amp, all 8 can be in the effects loop or you can put 4 in front and 4 in the loop. As long as this structure works for you, yes, as you can setup presets that will change channels and activate the loops you want.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Fantastic, it sounds like it will do what I want it to do.

Thank you!

Comment

Fantastic, it sounds like it will do what I want it to do.

Thank you!
                      Good to hear you found your solution, i have a PXL Pro and its great. Easy to use, and you can 8 patches with 4 presets each. I currently use the triggers for channel switching/Trem on my guitar amps, and the Sub octave/drive on my bass amp. Its a great product for the price and no complicated menus to go through
                      sigpic
                      Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                      Dunlop Crybaby
                      MXR Custom Comp
                      GFS Twin Overdrive
                      Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                      Blackstar HT-DISTX
                      Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Working...
                      X